Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Cheep blades

I just got a 450X

Wow! it flies great.

I got it as a beater, to try new and dangerous stuff with a low crash cost.

Does anybody have any experience with the HobbyKing $4 fiberglass blades?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

No experience, but I wouldn't even consider these. You need blades intended for flybarless heads- they are weighted on the leading edge to enhance stability. Those fiberglass cheapos might work, but you'll have to slow the headspeed WAY down. It will still fly like garbage. I wouldn't subject the AR7200BX to the vibrations these blades will induce.
HFMan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cheapest blades that people have had success with are Align 3G 325D blades. Have a set on mine and it flies pretty good; they're 325mm though instead of 335 like the stock ones, so you lose a bit of lift (approximately 6% reduced rotor effect area). At $13 a set though compared to $35 for the stockers, it's worth it if you think you may hit the dirt with something other than the skids.

Do NOT go for 450 3D woodies or cheapo fiberglass blades... it may turn out to be a lot more costly than just shelling out for a few sets of Align 3Gs.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFMan View Post
No experience, but I wouldn't even consider these. You need blades intended for flybarless heads- they are weighted on the leading edge to enhance stability. Those fiberglass cheapos might work, but you'll have to slow the headspeed WAY down. It will still fly like garbage. I wouldn't subject the AR7200BX to the vibrations these blades will induce.
If you haven't tried them then how do you know they are so bad? I use the $3 fiberglass blades from hobbypartz and they fly great. Although they are out of stock all the time.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using them and the difference to me isn't huge. When I try to pull up hard it doesn't pull up as quickly but if you are regularly crashing maybe you should go through a few sets of these then move up to the align CF blades when you're ready. These blades work, the balance has been off a little on some of them so make sure to check that.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not going to say much except you guys are playing with fire running FRP blades at 3200-3600rpms's.

The other thing that needs to be heavily considered id the weight of the blade. The stock blades are 22 grams and the Aligns that people are flying are around 20 grams. This is a very important factor that needs to be considered when buying blades for FBL machines....

I'm outta here...
mtuccio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had about 80 flights with the EXI FG blades. I ran them with 100% throttle curve too. I had no problems at all, but I was told they weren't recomended for that much head speed and it could be dangerous; so I switched to the EXI CF blades. The CF blades felt better in higher stress menuvers, so I did eventually break down and get some Align 3G blades.

To me, the Align 3G blades didn't feel any different than the EXI CF blades.

I'm aproaching 200 flights and still haven't crashed yet, it just flys so nice, so I'm keeping the Align blades on it.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtuccio View Post
I'm not going to say much except you guys are playing with fire running FRP blades at 3200-3600rpms's.

The other thing that needs to be heavily considered id the weight of the blade. The stock blades are 22 grams and the Aligns that people are flying are around 20 grams. This is a very important factor that needs to be considered when buying blades for FBL machines....

I'm outta here...
The align 3G are 22g
puttekula is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to be clear on my last statement:

Align 325D 3G (HD320D) = 23g each (good match for stock blade)
Align 325D (HD320B) = 20g each (works well but might need to tone down pot1 a bit)
Align 325D (HD320A) = 18g each (starting to get a little on the light side for stock settings to still work correctly)

My comment on the weight was based on people using FRP blades which are really very light. I have not had a chance to weigh a set of these yet but plan on doing this when I get back to the shop. As the blade gets lighter you are going to need to tune the BeastX differently. If you get too light on the blades then you can also have control loop stability issues which can't easily be fixed.

Last edited by mtuccio; 04-26-2012 at 11:34 AM..
mtuccio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Tuesday evening I weighed and balanced two sets of the Align 325, 3G blades. Neither set was perfectly balanced. Total weight checked on a very accurate electic grain/gram scale for each blade ran 19.78g/19.85g and 19.68g/19.76g.

The CoG on both sets was so close to perfect that I could not see a difference.
whodothevoodoo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ordered some slight seconds align 3g blades which should arrive tomorrow.....was undecided ifto get a set of edge blades but they are twice as much....
godwisper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in