Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default PHEW, that was CLOSE! Flying report after upgrades...

Ok, I sold off some stuff and used my PayPal 'cashiesh' to make some CNC purchases since ReadyHeli had the Gaui stuffs on sale. I bought the following CNC gear (not all of which has been installed as of yet):

Main Yoke
Washout guide
Mixing arms

Not yet installed:

Washout Base
Seesaw Arms
Tail Pitch Slider (already have the T-Rex 600 assembly ready for this as well).

Also got the following from from Helidirect, I'll post another report on all those componets.

Sonix CNC Seesaw
Sonix Elevator Arm Control
Sonix CNC Elevator Lever

All I can say is HOLY CRAP! I noticed an instant difference, where I used to be able to just push on thru my Figure 8's without a lot of thought on how hard I was pulling now back on the stick if I'm not careful she'll turn INSTANTLY and stall out or be left hanging in the air waiting for you to do something besides pick your jaw off the ground!

The helo turns so FAST now it's scary, I'm shocked at the difference. There were several times were I pulled back too much and she pulled a 120 G turn and stopped in mid-air just about; previously this wasn't possible. I really had to be more smooth on my control inputs and not so sloppy. I about plowed it in a few times, she was just turning so quickly that I couldn't quite keep ahead of the helo, yikes! I had one time where I did a wing/blade over coming down over the top back towards me at a 30-45 degree angle and she got buffeted by the wind and sank all while coming at the ground and towards ME at over Mach 1 (or maybe that wasn't the sound barrier but my heart about to BURST!), I surprised myself and calmly pulled back on the stick and got her level and moving away from me and back into the field safely, phew. I need a drink, if this had been caught on video anyone watching it would too.

There were some other components in the mix as well, I'll report back on them separately but I have to say the $65-75 I spent in CNC upgrades has made a DRASTIC change in performance. Frankly probably TOO much for my skill level. I'm afraid to install the other CNC stuff now for fear of more performance gains, where has my my Mushy Gaui gone?!??

Drew816 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

all you need now is the CNC flybar cage and swash guide...which I feel are needed... the flybar cage makes is a LOT easier to setup than the separate flybar arms.. and the guide just makes sure there's no rotation happening on the swash that isn't supposed to happen..
mysticmead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2008, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Those are on the list for sure, next I'll install the Washout Levers and the Washout base on the head; first I think I'm going to do the tail with the Gaui CNC Tail Slider and the T-Rex 600 Tailhub assembly. I'll then order all the of above parts to include the HDX tail housing and it's arm, flybar cage and swashguide and I should be all set. Eventually the main blade arms too but for now I've got the purposefully sacrificial plastics on the head.

Man, as it is if this thing gets any more 'tight' I'm going to be in trouble; it was a rather eye opening day of flying! With the 'proper parts' the Gaui is downright scary responsive, I'm still shaking 8 hours later after my latest Heli-Crack fix; PHEW!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

tomorrow... I put on the CNC grips.. and replace my flybar and boom... then It'll be time to re-maiden
Old 08-01-2008, 05:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew816 View Post
Eventually the main blade arms too but for now I've got the purposefully sacrificial plastics on the head.
Drew, I've had the CNC grips from new & have over 300 flights & 9 crashes now with them - they hold up really well. Wack them on mate - I haven't had to replace them yet!

Cheers
Graeme
Graeme67 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Drew et al,

I'm surprised that replacing parts with similar CNC parts has made so much difference to the flight characteristics - can anyone shed any light on why this might be the case ? Could it not be the different blades ?.

Cheers,
Mike.
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

simple... CNC parts have a LOT less slop than plastic parts.. less slop means more precise response
Old 08-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmead View Post
simple... CNC parts have a LOT less slop than plastic parts.. less slop means more precise response
Yep - I understand that, but Drew isn't talking about more precise - he is saying much quicker and possibly less stable, Sounded more like a change in flight characteristics or geometry than more precise - that's what is confusing me
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, and I only flew the 520's for half a flight before I switched over to 500's and then 550's.

I just got back from another flying session; I'm getting more familiar with the 'new' handling characteristics via the CNC upgrades and I was a little more smooth today. It's AMAZING how much more responsive this thing is, the Seesaw and the Mixing Arms must really flex, heck maybe in the stock Yoke assembly all combined they just give a bit here and there? The proof is in the pudding as they say, and I'm shocked just how drastic a change there's been.

So I'm on about to crank up my third battery set (I only have 6 lipos, where are those darned new Zippy's at?!?!) and I see a guy walking along the park towards me coming from the houses that border the park. Now there are HUGE trees that separate the Park from the houses but of course I fly along that edge using that as my downwind border, so I'm thinking this guy is coming over to complain. Heck maybe he's coming over to ask questions, but I'm thinking 'home owner' next to the Park, oh boy...

So I finish up my third set and set the 550 down and walks over with his hand outstretched and says' "...man that's some great flying, very cool! I have a Caliber 30 and a Raptor 620 and I'm working up to that level of flying, it's great to see someone else out here!" Don't prejudge is the lesson there, we talked for a while and he was very cool; but obviously partially insane if he thinks I'M flying great!

Happy Flying!
Old 08-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep - ya never know. I got invited to fly at one of the neighborhood night out parties coming up just from flying at the park. That and kids day at the golf course.
AMA# 3066
skigolfmike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Drew have you tried carbon blades yet? Its a different heli after that.
vicrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrc View Post
Drew have you tried carbon blades yet? Its a different heli after that.
Oh yes, quite a difference for sure and a very nice overall 'feel!' My TIG 500's died a painful death after only a few flights as I made a rookie "downwash stall" mistake on approach. I'm paying a penance now before I'm "allowed" to buy another set. ;-)

I'm going to try some World Models 550 Glass blades next which are half the cost of Carbons...

Happy Flying!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok, I sold off some stuff and used my PayPal 'cashiesh' to make some CNC purchases since ReadyHeli had the Gaui stuffs on sale. I bought the following CNC gear (not all of which has been installed as of yet):

Main Yoke
Washout guide
Mixing arms

Not yet installed:

Washout Base
Seesaw Arms
Tail Pitch Slider (already have the T-Rex 600 assembly ready for this as well).

Also got the following from from Helidirect, I'll post another report on all those componets.

Sonix CNC Seesaw
Sonix Elevator Arm Control
Sonix CNC Elevator Lever

All I can say is HOLY CRAP! I noticed an instant difference, where I used to be able to just push on thru my Figure 8's without a lot of thought on how hard I was pulling now back on the stick if I'm not careful she'll turn INSTANTLY and stall out or be left hanging in the air waiting for you to do something besides pick your jaw off the ground!

The helo turns so FAST now it's scary, I'm shocked at the difference. There were several times were I pulled back too much and she pulled a 120 G turn and stopped in mid-air just about; previously this wasn't possible. I really had to be more smooth on my control inputs and not so sloppy. I about plowed it in a few times, she was just turning so quickly that I couldn't quite keep ahead of the helo, yikes! I had one time where I did a wing/blade over coming down over the top back towards me at a 30-45 degree angle and she got buffeted by the wind and sank all while coming at the ground and towards ME at over Mach 1 (or maybe that wasn't the sound barrier but my heart about to BURST!), I surprised myself and calmly pulled back on the stick and got her level and moving away from me and back into the field safely, phew. I need a drink, if this had been caught on video anyone watching it would too.

There were some other components in the mix as well, I'll report back on them separately but I have to say the $65-75 I spent in CNC upgrades has made a DRASTIC change in performance. Frankly probably TOO much for my skill level. I'm afraid to install the other CNC stuff now for fear of more performance gains, where has my my Mushy Gaui gone?!??

I think you just need a cnc flyber and seesaw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ugk0405.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	57338   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05655.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	57339  
manos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Yep - I understand that, but Drew isn't talking about more precise - he is saying much quicker and possibly less stable, Sounded more like a change in flight characteristics or geometry than more precise - that's what is confusing me
Well it would be fair to say more precise, less slop, etc. To ME it's less stable as now it turns on a dime and requires more finesse and to use the word 'precision' on the controls. It's TIGHT and a different bird then was MY old Gaui 550 with the pure plastic head setup.

My next few flights on it were better, I'm just having to get use to a better handling bird that can do more then it could before.

Happy Flying!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Well it would be fair to say more precise, less slop, etc. To ME it's less stable as now it turns on a dime and requires more finesse and to use the word 'precision' on the controls. It's TIGHT and a different bird then was MY old Gaui 550 with the pure plastic head setup.

My next few flights on it were better, I'm just having to get use to a better handling bird that can do more then it could before.

Happy Flying!

You can always throw a little expo on the elevator and aeleron to soften things up a little around mid stick.. try 15% (+ve for DX7.. -ve for a Futaba Tx).
ukgroucho is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah know, I don't even know what the 'means' in helo terms but I like the idea! :o So I guess this means to make it a little less sensitive; what in that specific region of the controls or for the entire flight profile? Excuse my ignorance, I just kind of fly by the seat of my pants so... :o

I'll have to explore this a bit, I'm using a T9CHP Futaba Tx so if anyone can guide me through setting this up and a few other functions it would be appreciated. My LHS guys are all JR or Spektrum and aren't very helpful when you bring your own gear in for assistance; SURPRISE!

I hope to do some flying tomorrow, two more Zippy 33's showed up today to be broken in, two more on the way so I hope to be set for a while. I just sold off two brand new Zippy 2200's I'd ordered; and by the time they arrived I'd already sold my 450 T-Rex as I'm concentrating on the 550 only my friends!

Happy Flying!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

HEY DREW.....duh caps lock from simulated yelling at people on main forum.on your futaba gear go in to expo function.then on airelon and elevator add neg 10 or 15 percent expo each way on both axis.i would try ten first then go up or down depending on how it feels.what it does is make your stick ten percent less sensitive at mid stick,the sensitivity then increases exponetially back to full as the stick gets further from midstick.so it mushies up the midpoint for ya.play round with it a little.... one of the main down falls is if you have to much you make a stick movement,nothing happens instantly so you increase your stick movement then your sensitivity(haha...sorry) catches up leading to more input than you intended.so a little expo each way then adjusting by increments of maybe 2% seems to be the way to go.a little expo on your rudder can also help alot with accidental tail inputs especially as you may have noticed the atlas is pretty damn quick......what do ya reckon of the picture of my hurri shitting itself cause i'm flying it
kahn10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in