Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Outrage RC > Outrage 550

Outrage 550 Outrage 550 Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a tip!! Pay VERY close attention when disassembling the main gear assembly. The small washer the goes between the one way bearing and the middle main shaft bearing is commonly lost and not easy to replace. This may sound pointless but trust me when I say this happens often and will shut your flying down for quite some time.

Last edited by LITHIUMSTATIC; 03-11-2010 at 11:29 PM..
LITHIUMSTATIC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default ESD Countermeasure

Here's one way to minimize static buildup and prevent electrostatic discharges that can interfere with your electronics. Drill a hole in the bottom of the boom to accept a short bolt. Run a wire between the bolt and the lock nut of one of the belt guide pulleys. Then run a wire from the under the lock nut or from the screw in the boom to one of the bolts in the motor mount. To tie the boom to the tail case, file the coating off the end of the boom and the inner perimeter of the tail case.

Last edited by DominicD; 01-07-2011 at 06:40 PM..
jbradley3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
The Capi

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I must be missing something. I don't think your method alone will ground the tail shaft to the motor case. The belt is still isolated from the frame.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
I must be missing something. I don't think your method alone will ground the tail shaft to the motor case. The belt is still isolated from the frame.
Suggestions?...
Old 12-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Before the mod, I was seeing ESD between the tail servo mount and the servo case. My assumption was that the tail drive pulley, belt, tail shaft, boom, and idler pulleys were acting as a crude Van de Graaff generator. If that were the case, I thought that providing a low resistance path between the static generation and collection ends of the belt may defeat the generator. That path would be from the front idler through the wire, through the boom, and to the rear idler. Since I am relying on the existing connections from the boom to the rear idler, the resistance is about 100k ohm.

Does this explanation seem plausible? The visible arc in that location did in fact cease, but it's possible it just moved.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #26 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Try measuring the resistance from the motor to various points on the boom and tail, I am curious about the quality of the conductivity.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I measured open circuits from the motor mount bolts (and points on the base of the motor where the anodizing has worn off) to metal points on the boom. Only if I had the CF frames would I have expected otherwise.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

I wouldn't
Old 01-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Another ESD Countermeasure

The friction of a dry belt against the front tail drive pulley can generate enough static to cause electrostatic discharges directly from the pulley to wiring near the pulley. One way to prevent this is to make a connection from the motor mount to the lower bearing block and to some stranded wire running against the pulley.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Use lube on the tail drive belt. Set the belt tight.

You don't want any slop on the main gear/pinion fit, or else gears will strip.

The nylon (plastic) gear is tougher than the delrin gear and runs quieter. This is the one that comes 2 to a bag.
freewheel510 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Elevator arm and ball link safety fix

Not sure if you guys ever had any issues with your elevator arms ball link either coming off or being very close to coming off, but mine ball link will come off if I give it too much pitch and elevator at the same time. I have never had it happen during flight, but I can make it pop off on the bench while setting up my FBL units.

Here is what I did:

Bought an Outrage Velocity 90 double ball link
Drilled through it 2mm to allow the screw to be used and cut off the threads it comes with
drill hole at top of ball to allow screw head to recess inside of it like the stock one
find a bigger screw and install with locktight

It could still pop off of the first ball, but at least you will still have control instead of full loss of your elevator.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-24_17-26-17_663.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	352650   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-26_04-46-29_322.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	352651  
SMOKEMASTER60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice mod.

FYI, the Velocity 50 elevator arm fits the Outrage 550 perfectly. Its ball is mounted to pointing to the side instead of forward so there is no chance of the link popping off given too much elevator.

http://helidirect.com/r50n958-ss-out...50-p-13835.hdx

Note: I am not assuming this works. I have it, I use it, it fits and works perfectly.

Chris
ChrisMH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMH View Post
Nice mod.

FYI, the Velocity 50 elevator arm fits the Outrage 550 perfectly. Its ball is mounted to pointing to the side instead of forward so there is no chance of the link popping off given too much elevator.

http://helidirect.com/r50n958-ss-out...50-p-13835.hdx

Note: I am not assuming this works. I have it, I use it, it fits and works perfectly.

Chris
I have a Velocity 50 too, i guess i should have checked that out. Anyways, nice tip.
SMOKEMASTER60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in