Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Devo 6 software upgrade

Has anyone been able to upgrade the software in Devo 6 using the downloads from Walkera? When I updated and rebooted the screen was jumbled and the only text was in Chinese. I went back to ver. 1 library and ver. 2 firmware and things were fine.
Mike
shastamike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Has anyone been able to upgrade the software in Devo 6 using the downloads from Walkera? When I updated and rebooted the screen was jumbled and the only text was in Chinese. I went back to ver. 1 library and ver. 2 firmware and things were fine.
Mike
Yup mine worked fine. Maybe your download was corrupt? Try downloading again and doing the upgrade over.

Sorry you are having problems.

Good luck
Nytflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the reply. There hasn't been much interest in the update. Now that I"m in "waiting for parts limbo" I have nothing to do but try to upgrade the software. I tried again for two hours last night. Can't tell what I'm missing. I've watched Bob's video twice, printed out the instructions on the devention DfuSe upgrade tool and followed them step by step three times. The library says "update sucessful" but no chage in the version number in the "about" screen on Tx. When I try to update the firmware I still get jumbled Chinese. I tried downloading the software files again and loading them in different order, no luck. Today I'm going to try the Devo 8 upgrade files and watching Bob do it for the third time.
Have you confirmed the update by checking the "about" screen on the TX? You're at ver3 software and ver2 library?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. There hasn't been much interest in the update. Now that I"m in "waiting for parts limbo" I have nothing to do but try to upgrade the software. I tried again for two hours last night. Can't tell what I'm missing. I've watched Bob's video twice, printed out the instructions on the devention DfuSe upgrade tool and followed them step by step three times. The library says "update sucessful" but no chage in the version number in the "about" screen on Tx. When I try to update the firmware I still get jumbled Chinese. I tried downloading the software files again and loading them in different order, no luck. Today I'm going to try the Devo 8 upgrade files and watching Bob do it for the third time.
Have you confirmed the update by checking the "about" screen on the TX? You're at ver3 software and ver2 library?
I doubt the Devo 8 will work on the devo 6 and would advise against it, may be worth trying the 10mW version of the 6 software.

Regards David
DocD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Man that stinks. I just watched bobs video on it and did what he did. It worked without a hitch and I did verify afterwards on the about page. I also poked around and didn't notice anything new except for the added languages that were reported. I can understand trying it out of boredom but really you are not missing anything. I would not try the devo 8 files either like david said maybe try the 10mw file if u insist on making it work. If not just leave it you don't need it and maybe the next released update will work better for you. Good luck!
- DX8G2 and DX7S
Nytflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ya...well the Devo 8 firmware didn't work so well. Tried the 10mW version softfile same results. Everything has been tried and it just doesn't update so I guess I'm giving up. I just don't get why it won't work. I went as far as disabling my AV program, re-installing the update tool. Checking drivers. Perhaps the next version will work for me. I wrote Walkera but don't expect much from that. Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Some folks are having trouble upgrading the Devo6 to 0.3A and Lib 0.2. I did another video to show the exact process for doing this upgrade. The other video did not upgrade the Lib so it is important for this upgrade to do things in the right way.

VIDEO -> Devo 6 Ver 0.3a / Lib 0.2 S/W Upgrade (17 Megs)

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Some folks are having trouble upgrading the Devo6 to 0.3A and Lib 0.2. I did another video to show the exact process for doing this upgrade. The other video did not upgrade the Lib so it is important for this upgrade to do things in the right way.

Bob
Thanks for the video bob. I'm downloading right now. I've been beating my head on my computer tower trying to update. I'm up to 10 trys now. Sheila from Walkera has even emailed me an offered to help, but no use. I'm supposed to send her some screen shots. She said they've done the upgrade bunches of times, no problem. We'll see if your video helps.
While I have you here I would like to say that your flight videos are very inspirational. I like your style. Thanks for sharing with us.
Mike
Old 12-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Succesful upgrade finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless

Bob

SO...finally I was able to upgrade the firmware and library on my Devo 6. The video above did trick. I had followed all the steps in Bob's upgrade video (ver1) but in the second video I noticed he disconnected the TX by turning it off instead of using the "leave DFU mode" button on the upgrade tool interface. That made all the difference for me. Odd but true. I was almost astonished when I saw that the Devo had upgraded versions on the TX's "about" screen!
OH ya...and just cause I was out of ideas I used a different computer. Same OS and AV software. SO..not sure if it was the TX disconnect sequrnce or the different computer, but it worked.
Happy Mike
Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Odd that the leave DFU mode button would cause the radio to not update properly. I would not have expected that. But if it worked by powering off awesome!

I have not upgraded my other Devo6 but I may try the DFU button and see what I get.

When did you use it? After you update BOTH the firmware and the lib? Or in-between?

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless

Bob

SO...finally I was able to upgrade the firmware and library on my Devo 6. The video above did trick. I had followed all the steps in Bob's upgrade video (ver1) but in the second video I noticed he disconnected the TX by turning it off instead of using the "leave DFU mode" button on the upgrade tool interface. That made all the difference for me. Odd but true. I was almost astonished when I saw that the Devo had upgraded versions on the TX's "about" screen!
OH ya...and just cause I was out of ideas I used a different computer. Same OS and AV software. SO..not sure if it was the TX disconnect sequrnce or the different computer, but it worked.
Happy Mike
Maybe the different computer, could be something on the old computer interfering with the update, I cannot see it being the leave DFU mode button causing it, when you have finished the update is the time you leave DFU so the update should be on the radio at that point.

Key thing is its now sorted so you know for the future updates you have a technique that works

Regards David
Old 12-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

deleted post
Old 12-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Odd that the leave DFU mode button would cause the radio to not update properly. I would not have expected that. But if it worked by powering off awesome!

I have not upgraded my other Devo6 but I may try the DFU button and see what I get.

When did you use it? After you update BOTH the firmware and the lib? Or in-between?

Bob
When I was having trouble with updates I would update the firmware first and then library just as in the video. after library verify I would hit the "leave Dfu mode" button. On many other tries I would try updating in different orders and with the 10mW files, different extraction methods to un-zip the soft files, Anti-Virus off and so on. Never just turned the radio off. The "leave Dfu mode button would disconnect the radio and reboot it to the on mode. Turning the radio off with it's switch is what finally did it for me. I"m pretty sure that in your first video you used the "leave Dfu mode" button. I'll have to go back and look.
BTW...another possibility is that I changed computers. Same OS and AV. Wish I had gotten these results on my regular computer as now I don't know if it was the turning off manually of the radio or it being done on a different computer.
Anyway the update is a bit better with the timer beeper beeping every 3 secs after counting down to zero. Now if they would only tie the timer to the throttle or add some more models.
Mike
Mike
Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is the difference between the 10mw and 100mw??
fetch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetch View Post
What is the difference between the 10mw and 100mw??
Output power, in some countries there are restrictions on output power to 10mW so walkera do the 10mW software version to allow for this, you will note on the top of the page walkera post a disclaimer.

Warning:obey the local law and regulations to get the upgrade. Walkera is no liability for any personal activities which violate the local law and regulations.

Regards David
Old 12-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
Output power, in some countries there are restrictions on output power to 10mW so walkera do the 10mW software version to allow for this, you will note on the top of the page walkera post a disclaimer.

Warning:obey the local law and regulations to get the upgrade. Walkera is no liability for any personal activities which violate the local law and regulations.

Regards David

What is the benefit of having a higher output power?
Does it eat up the TX's battery more with higher output power?
fetch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
uh range? like anything else wireless, increasing transmit power means increased power usage, so yes your battery will drain faster.
sebo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I fly indoors with the power setting at -5dB to save power. Outside +5dB does fine. Once I turned it up all the way to 20dB and the batteries went a lot faster.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just took some current measurements on the Devo 6 and found out a couple of interesting things.

With a 6 volt power source (I used a supply instead of the batteries), the most interesting fact is that the Devo 6 draws 4 mA when powered off. This means if it is powered by 4 standard 1.5V AA alkaline cells, they will be at the end of service in about 20 days according to rough calculations. This strengthens the case for using a rechargeable pack. 4 mA is rather large for a small battery-operated device in "off" mode.

With the backlight brightness set at 4/10, below are the currents measured for the various power levels. The first number is measured current when the backlight is bright and the second is current in the dim state after the time-out.

-5 dbm, 0 dbm 0.16 A 0.11 A
5 dbm 0.17 A 0.11 A
10 dbm 0.17 A 0.12 A
15 dbm 0.19 A 0.14 A
20 dbm 0.21 A 0.16 A

Measurements were taken with only 2 digits of accuracy and that's why some readings are the same for different power levels.

Also, not documented but observed, was that when a change was made on the power changing screen, the current would sometimes go much higher than normal, and would persist even after returning to the home screen. It would go to normal after power-cycling the transmitter.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting. Why does it need that 4 mA power draw while powered off?
bytemuncher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in