Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters > 600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Main shaft bearing replacement

I'm nearing 80 flights on my trex 600 elf pro and was curious how often you guys replace main shaft and tail bearings. 100 flights just seems like a good number for maintenance replacement. When do you replace yours and do you grease them before installation? If so, what type of grease do you use? Thanks fellas.
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Replaced only when the bearings get gritty feeling. If they're smooth, they don't get replaced.

Too expensive to replace after "x" number of hours if they're in good shape.

I use thrust bearing grease from align, associated, or RIGs gun grease on all bearings. I have bearing oil I'll use on occasion for mixer arm bearings and other low-load bearings.
rob78 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You don't need to replace them unless you crash or wear them out. You will not wear them out for a LONG time... I think it took nearly 500 flights on my Fusion 50 to see wear at the inner race, at which point I upgraded to a bearing with tighter tolerances.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Main shaft bearing replacement

It should be too early but if I were curious I'd take it apart enough to check the bearings out
Old 07-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I wonder if a couple drops from some scorpion motor oil once in a while would be beneficial?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Technically an engineer would want us to pack them with grease but many of us just use Triflow. I take apart my motors to clean them and Triflow those bearings too, very high rpm application and it has made my motors last.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliSmith View Post
Technically an engineer would want us to pack them with grease but many of us just use Triflow. I take apart my motors to clean them and Triflow those bearings too, very high rpm application and it has made my motors last.
+1 triflow is very good oil!!

Slow & Steady!
nmdesertracer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 04:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you very much. I have a bike shop in the area that sells triflow. Gonna have to get some. I appreciate the advice.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Main bearings are lasting about 100 flights for me until they get pretty rough. Head thrust bearings are about the same. It depends a lot on how you are flying. For me oiling the main bearings didn't seem to make them last any longer.

Rest of the bearings seem in good shape with about 600 flights on the heli. I did replace the pinion support bearing about 100 flights ago for the first time. Replaced the torque tube and installed 3 support bearings at around flight 400. The TT had become a bit deformed and was causing vibrations.
Mike A. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in