Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default nice info

thanks for the info ...
playlist is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
Here is some links on Rick's R/C website that are great tips for newbies and veterans also.
Since this is the time of year that there will be an influx of newbies into the hobby. Thought it would be good time to post some of the tips.

Throttle setup
http://www.ronlund.com/throttle.htm

Tail Rotor Setup
http://www.ronlund.com/tr_setup.htm

PCM Failsafe
http://www.ronlund.com/fail_safe.htm

Antennas
http://www.ronlund.com/antennas.htm

Some great advice
http://www.ronlund.com/getting_help.htm

The above links are some great advice that Ron has posted. Use the information and it will help overcome some obstacles.

David

Thanks for taking time for sharing this information, its was excellent and very informative. Its really very useful of all of users. I found a lot of information.... Keep it up
barrymartin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tips and information in the posts above is excellent. I certainly did not think of the these information when getting my first Rc Helicopter. these tips are really useful for me and for all those who are interesting in rc helicopter, anyway thanks for sharing such a nice post......
barrymartin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My Two Cents

My tips would be this:

Get a sim and be able to fly around for 4 minutes, five times in a row without a mishap. Figure 8's at eye level, loops, rolls, nose in hovers, stationary flips and rolls at eye level.

Read the manual on EVERYTHING that came with your heli at least 3-4 times religiously; ESC, flybarless unit, heli kit manual etc.

Build your kit with small amounts of loctite.. Enough to just go into the threads.. No beading or dripping off the bolts. Tighten all bolts until they bottom out.. Then just a little "tweak". Like a spark plug in a car!

If you're running a external BEC.. Make sure you pull the power cable coming from your ESC(usually the middle cable on the servo wire) or disable the internal BEC.

After you build your heli.. Before plugging in your lipo.. Only have two power cables going to the motor and no servo horns on. Turn on your transmitter, plug your lipo in.. Your servos should center.. Put your cyclic servo horns on as close to 90 as possible; be careful not to bump the heli, use the 6 star servo horn and see which one goes straight up on the rudder servo(tail servos shouldn't be sub trimmed). Unplug the lipo, plug it back in and make sure the rudder horn is still straight up.. Unplug the lipo, turn off tx, put the ball on the rudder servo horn, trim the other 5 horns off, turn radio/heli back on.. Put the rudder servo on and secure it with the philips center screw.

Also make sure the motor is going the right way! Rotorblades going clockwise. Do this with the main blades off! Reverse any two of the motor wires to accomplish this. Then double check.

Make sure when you turn your rotorblades clockwise.. Your tail rotor is going the right way! Belt might be twisted the wrong way if you're not running a torque tube.

Have someone help you with your flybarless setup to have that second set of eyes.. Someone who is familiar with your flybarless unit.

Go hover with your canopy off.

Then go fly! Stay with the sun to your back and always keep the heli out infront of you. Do about 10 basic flights before you do anything challenging. Get used to the feel of the heli.

This is semi geared towards electrics of course.

mos2k likes this.

Last edited by IndividualWon; 05-25-2013 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Modification
IndividualWon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you so much for sharing such wonderful tips, these are helpful for both beginner and professional.
james04k is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Here is some links on Rick's R/C website that are great tips for newbies and veterans also.
Since this is the time of year that there will be an influx of newbies into the hobby. Thought it would be good time to post some of the tips.

Throttle setup

Tail Rotor Setup

PCM Failsafe

Antennas

Some great advice

The above links are some great advice that Ron has posted. Use the information and it will help overcome some obstacles.

David
I receive this (image attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ronlund.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	424288  
OMPHobby M2 V2
AlphaCharlie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great tips here!
Chiefme1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

woah, looks like the link is no good anymore...it's been hacked. DO NOT CLICK IT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	327
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	456445  
Nightshaded is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

is the spring out of a motorcycle front fork I have seen the stand before but not with the spring looks like a good job
marty mac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got the same thing, those links are infected with a Trojan...DO NOT CLICK THEM or remove the sticky post!
XL V2, Soxos 7.1L - Previous: Kraken 580, Nimbus, Protos 380, Kraken 700, Diabolo 700, Oxy 5/2, Logo 600 / 550SX, Protos 700, Synergy 516, Velos 880, Gaui X7 / X5, Goblin 380, Blade 120SR/180SR/ mcpx BL/300X/450XL, Align 700X/150/Leap 3D
gtruk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi. Im going from simulator and fixed pitch to CP. I have an mcpx and BLade SR. I got some dx8 settings for my SR. When I turn off the hold switch, the SR blades start turning With 0 stick input. Whats going on?
jerryzito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryzito View Post
Hi. Im going from simulator and fixed pitch to CP. I have an mcpx and BLade SR. I got some dx8 settings for my SR. When I turn off the hold switch, the SR blades start turning With 0 stick input. Whats going on?
JerryZito - make sure that hold switch is active ( I think on dx8 you can turn it on and off), make sure the setting on hold is negative not positive) Also make sure if you have throttle trim slider on that radio you didn't accidentally bump it to add throttle.
Castle, Hyperion, AR6210 / JR 11x
Tailbender is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile Thanks!

Quote:

Throttle setup

Tail Rotor Setup

PCM Failsafe

Antennas

Some great advice

David
Thank you David!
nykannswe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Cool beans

Awesome thanks
JustaJason is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default V450d03

I checked out the tail stabilization tips. I recently crashed my v450d03, and bent the tail boom. I replaced the bent tail boom and put everything back just like it came off. Now when I give full throttle the heli nose turns to the left. Do I need to readjust any setting in the transmitter? I am using a devo 7.
AustinR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Helpful for me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykannswe View Post
Thank you David!
Thanks. helpful for me too
rubiksman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

Late to the party but this guide also does a good job of going over the very basics of rc helicopters, and has suggestions on what they think the best rc helicopter is depending on your skill level.
james_123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndividualWon View Post
My tips would be this:

Get a sim and be able to fly around for 4 minutes, five times in a row without a mishap. Figure 8's at eye level, loops, rolls, nose in hovers, stationary flips and rolls at eye level.

Read the manual on EVERYTHING that came with your heli at least 3-4 times religiously; ESC, flybarless unit, heli kit manual etc.

Build your kit with small amounts of loctite.. Enough to just go into the threads.. No beading or dripping off the bolts. Tighten all bolts until they bottom out.. Then just a little "tweak". Like a spark plug in a car!

If you're running a external BEC.. Make sure you pull the power cable coming from your ESC(usually the middle cable on the servo wire) or disable the internal BEC.

After you build your heli.. Before plugging in your lipo.. Only have two power cables going to the motor and no servo horns on. Turn on your transmitter, plug your lipo in.. Your servos should center.. Put your cyclic servo horns on as close to 90 as possible; be careful not to bump the heli, use the 6 star servo horn and see which one goes straight up on the rudder servo(tail servos shouldn't be sub trimmed). Unplug the lipo, plug it back in and make sure the rudder horn is still straight up.. Unplug the lipo, turn off tx, put the ball on the rudder servo horn, trim the other 5 horns off, turn radio/heli back on.. Put the rudder servo on and secure it with the philips center screw.

Also make sure the motor is going the right way! Rotorblades going clockwise. Do this with the main blades off! Reverse any two of the motor wires to accomplish this. Then double check.

Make sure when you turn your rotorblades clockwise.. Your tail rotor is going the right way! Belt might be twisted the wrong way if you're not running a torque tube.

Have someone help you with your flybarless setup to have that second set of eyes.. Someone who is familiar with your flybarless unit.

Go hover with your canopy off.

Then go fly! Stay with the sun to your back and always keep the heli out infront of you. Do about 10 basic flights before you do anything challenging. Get used to the feel of the heli.

This is semi geared towards electrics of course.

These are some really useful tips here. A good starting point for those completing a first time build. I would like to see a check list of things to do after a build, specifically a more in detail list of tasks rather than an explanation of each task. For instance, 1.) program rx/sat. 2.) program esc
3.) program gyro/fbl unit, 4.) center servos, 5.) etc.....
I'd do it myself but I have one complete build and set up under my belt and not very qualified. I'm sure there would be something I missed or something out of sequence. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to make a list. I'm sure a list will help others and myself.
heinz9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

PCM Failsafe
Fail Safe

I get a Malware warning when I try to open this in Safari
Old 01-12-2018, 02:28 AM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you. Great tips for beginners. I am a newbie also.
ConnorMoore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in