Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC

Spartan RC Spartan RC - Quark, DS760 Gyros and other Spartan RC Electronics Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default setting up tail

Hey guys, just picked up a Quark from another HF member and now I'm trying to install it on my Trex 250. I have done everything I could think of to get the servo to move more than just a smidge in either direction. I have a ds420 on tail and a DX8 Tx. If I put the stock GD750 back on it gets full throw in each direction. Any ideas what it could be or what I'm missing?
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Does your "everything" include hooking up the Spartan SLX adapter & Spartan Link USB cable? Have you watched the Finless Quark videos?

I have Quarks on two helis but would be lost if I couldn't set them up with the computer. You might have the wrong servo type selected which can damage your servo if set wrong or your l/r endpoint settings could be off?

Are you checking in rate or HH mode? Make sure you have no trim & absolutely no subtrim in your TX. Futaba user so can't help you there.

Sent from the wunderphone
-- Elisabeth
Gaui X2 & X5- MKS,Scorpion, Castle and lotsa good stuff
2 FrankenHeli 450s, Axe 100SS, Futaba
EKron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have watched the video, but I'm going to pay closer attention tonight to be sure I didn't miss anything. Everything includes setting it up in rate and HH because neither worked. Pulse rate is correct for my DS420 servo. I don't have the link or adapter as of yet. I guess I just assumed it would be almost as easy to set up as the Align gyros.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchota View Post
Hey guys, just picked up a Quark from another HF member and now I'm trying to install it on my Trex 250. I have done everything I could think of to get the servo to move more than just a smidge in either direction. I have a ds420 on tail and a DX8 Tx. If I put the stock GD750 back on it gets full throw in each direction. Any ideas what it could be or what I'm missing?

When you say you've done everything you could think off, does that include setting the end points in set-up mode? Of course as mentioned above, the first thing is to set the servo type with servo unplugged.

Also double check the polarity on the gain wire. I'm pretty sure on the Quark, it doesn't matter if your in rate or HH during set-up. At least it hasn't for me. The Quark desn't need it for calibrating end points. After the second end point setting, you have to push the button again to store the settings. And cycle the power on tx/rx to get back to normal operating mode.
wanderer56 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer56 View Post
When you say you've done everything you could think off, does that include setting the end points in set-up mode? Of course as mentioned above, the first thing is to set the servo type with servo unplugged.

Also double check the polarity on the gain wire. I'm pretty sure on the Quark, it doesn't matter if your in rate or HH during set-up. At least it hasn't for me. The Quark desn't need it for calibrating end points. After the second end point setting, you have to push the button again to store the settings. And cycle the power on tx/rx to get back to normal operating mode.

I tried to, but since I can't get the servo horn to travel more than a smidge in either direction I can't set the endpoints. The tail slider moves even less. Just to be sure it wasn't a binding issue I disconnected the servo from the tail completely with the same results
Old 06-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Since you bought this used, I'd say see if you can reset the Quark, just to get things back into a default state. Not sure how to do this, but I might be a little worried that the parameters were tweaked via the PC, and now they might not be appropriate for you. To be honest, I doubt this is your issue, but I mention it just in case.

Regarding setup, there is nothing in the Quark manual that says you need to do a rate setup. You only want to do it if you intend to fly in rate mode.

It does sound to me that you don't have the endpoints setup correctly. Why you seem to be having a problem isn't clear to me at least.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've asked the seller if he has set it up on a computer, waiting for his response. How would I reset the gyro if it can even be done.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Maybe you have a LHS that could do you a favor? I did a quick Google search on resetting a Spartan Quark and found this:

Knowledge base Quark Installation & setup

Question #66
Can I reset the gyro to factory defaults without the Flash-Link?

Answer
Sorry no. The advanced gyro parameters can only be modified and can only be reset to the factory defaults using the Flash-Link or Blue-Link interface.

Source: http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/...6&search=reset

Sure hope you can get it sorted out soon.

-- Elisabeth
Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKron View Post
Maybe you have a LHS that could do you a favor? I did a quick Google search on resetting a Spartan Quark and found this:

Knowledge base Quark Installation & setup

Question #66
Can I reset the gyro to factory defaults without the Flash-Link?

Answer
Sorry no. The advanced gyro parameters can only be modified and can only be reset to the factory defaults using the Flash-Link or Blue-Link interface.

Source: http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/...6&search=reset

Sure hope you can get it sorted out soon.

-- Elisabeth

Thanks, me too! I have one on my 500 with no issues.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well after alot of help with Angelos it's working! I think the problem was that even though I thought I set the servo type it didn't actually set. I would choose the servo thinking it was set and move onto the other settings with complete failure. So after a few times of that I discovered that the gyro was not on 1 blink, it was blinking twice.This time I tried holding the set button down a little longer and now the gyro is set properly and my servo moves as it should!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey, great to hear you got it working!

From what you described, I was thinking that might be what your problem was. Good on Angelos/Spartan for getting you over the hump.

-- Elisabeth
Old 06-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angelos rocks. His replies were very quick. This gyro is sooooo much nicer than my Align GP750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in