Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters

700 Class Nitro Helicopters 700 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Lynx MOAS clunk seems too light

I have one of these Lynx MOAS fuel clunks:
http://www.helidirect.com/lynx-moas-...nk-p-20566.hdx

The problem is it does not seems heavy enough. It weighs about 2 grams and barely bends the Viton tubing I plan to be using (the is for a gasser so silicone is out). Anyone have experience with this clunk? Does it work better when wet or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think luca designed to work in conjunction with his lynx fuel line.....which is very flexible. If you use the moas with a thick or stiff line it may produce different results. Personally, I didn't like the idea of foam in my tank.

I'm using lynx fuel line and the O.S. bubbleles clunk for my setup. Haven't tested it yet but the clunk/line combo seems to have sufficient amount of flex on initial inspection
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The foam clunks will seem too light when first installed but get heavy when soaked in fuel. That being said, I had unsatisfactory results using a fuel magnet in a Trex 700. They worked great in Miniature Aircraft helis but the inside of the Align tank is not as smooth and would tear small chunks out of the foam and clog the fuel filter.
marc8090 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The MOAS isn't foam, it is fiber and much better than the foam filters which do not last very long...

I have been running the same MOAS for 8 months (all season) and it is in great shape. It works great, and is designed to be the correct weight when wet. I use the lynx clunk line.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I'll try it wet but I have my doubts. Since I am doing a gasser setup, the Lynx silicone is not an option but the Zenoah Viton is very flexible. I have other options but wanted to see what others thought. Getting wet in the same fluid its floating in would not seem to increase its ability to sink. The Walbro felt clunks are much heavier (13 grams) but a very tight fit in the tank hole.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I first saw you were going to be doing a gasser I thought you should be using a Walbro clunk. Then I saw you tried it and it was too big. You might do some research. I have seen different Walbro sizes. What I don't know is how small they make them?

I had 4 or 5 Fuel magnet sponges disintegrate on me. Since I've been using the Lynx synthetic felt I've had no more issues. When wet the clunk will be much heavier. There is a product a few of us have been experimenting with called Tygothane. It is much more flexible and supposed to last a lot longer than Tygon. Much cheaper than Viton.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post
When I first saw you were going to be doing a gasser I thought you should be using a Walbro clunk. Then I saw you tried it and it was too big. You might do some research. I have seen different Walbro sizes. What I don't know is how small they make them?

I had 4 or 5 Fuel magnet sponges disintegrate on me. Since I've been using the Lynx synthetic felt I've had no more issues. When wet the clunk will be much heavier. There is a product a few of us have been experimenting with called Tygothane. It is much more flexible and supposed to last a lot longer than Tygon. Much cheaper than Viton.
Thanks for all the great info. I went so far as to call Walbro. The smallest body they make is 15mm which is a tad too big unless I ream out the hole. However, my issues is basically solved. Turns out Stens makes a very similar clunk and it is smaller in diameter.
http://www.stenspartsdirect.com/prod...roducts_id=823

I have some on order. I will still play around with the Lynx one just to see. I will look into the Tygothane. Is it rated for gasoline or just the Nitro blend? The Viton is not really that expensive if you get it at tttechnicalhobby. What is kind of pricey is blue fluorosilicone:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-pl...tubing/=o96t62

It is rated for both gas and alcohol and it looks pretty cool. I use it on my return line.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been using the MOAS in a nitro for a couple of years with success. I use Hayes tubing. If you think it is too light then you could add some weight to it. I have seen people slide a locking collar (without the set screw) onto the tubing which helps clamp the tubing to the clunk as well.
Glenn Goodlett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in