Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Thunder Power TP1430C does up to 14S but i think it might be discontinued as no one seems to have them in stock at the moment. In any case it's still limited to 1000W so it wouldn't be any faster than parallel charging 2 x 6S packs.

If you tried to series charge 2 x 6S packs you also have to be ultra careful about how you connect up the balance wires.. it's far trickier than parallel charging.
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
If you tried to series charge 2 x 6S packs you also have to be ultra careful about how you connect up the balance wires.. it's far trickier than parallel charging.
It depends on how exciting you want your charge session to be.

I've made the crossover mistake before; it just destroyed one contact in one balance lead. For anyone who doesn't know, crossing the balance leads results in a short circuit on the common balance wire.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #43 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
Is there such a thing as a 12s charger? The largest I've seen is 8s.
Pulsar 3: 14S charger
Old 07-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Again.. why? What are you hoping to achieve by 'topping them up' singularly.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just don't understand what advantage you hope to get out of doing this?
I may be just 'that sort of person' but I top them up singly (unless I'm in a rush) because I feel (no proof) that it's keeping my individual packs cells more level. And I figure that the 3C parallel charge I give them cuts out too soon, they all take another couple of mins of separate 1C charge to 'top them up'...

I'm probably just overly fastidious...
Old 07-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
I may be just 'that sort of person' but I top them up singly (unless I'm in a rush) because I feel (no proof) that it's keeping my individual packs cells more level. And I figure that the 3C parallel charge I give them cuts out too soon, they all take another couple of mins of separate 1C charge to 'top them up'...

I'm probably just overly fastidious...

I'd venture say that you're probably doing more harm than good by topping them up a second time after the first charge. You're not gaining more than a percent or so of charge and possibly are risking overcharging them / stressing them as they are closer to the max capacity /voltage. Unless you charge with a cut off of under 4.2V.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #46 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
The odds of a cell going bad when being charged are extremely small.
Why? When exactly do they go bad? I would expect they are at the most risk during high current drain in flight, the next highest risk during charging, and then the least risk when at rest.

I would agree that the overall risk is relatively low or else we would be seeing more burned up cells and charging units on helifreak considering how many people do it regularly. I still personally find it too high risk to do in my house.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is good thread to ask you guys about something I do. I did not heard anyone do it like that, it's something I figured it is best way to do, even some older guys at my field started doing it like I do. I'm a noob at all of this (less then 6 months with batteries bigger then 1s, before that I did not know anything about even those 1s I was using, just changed them with charger that came with small heli) so it is good to know if my way is not good..
So, I have iCharger and it have "LiPo termination voltage". I always put 6 batteries in parallel on board but set voltage to 4,15-4,16v. Then I charge all of them on fast charge to 4,16 and then put them on balance one by one to 4,20v.
As I understand things about LiPo batteries, when charging in parallel, if one battery cell is not like others, charger charge them all to be 4,20 in total, so some is over if some is under nominal charge. So I just charge them to 4,16 so if some is over or under it still do not exceed 4,20.
Balance from 4,16 to 4,20 takes only couple of minutes, and I do not threaten any of my batteries. And they are always balanced like they are charged one by one.. It takes around 40-50min for 6 (cause board is for 6).. It can be done, I think safely for more, but amperage of my charger is for 6 (7 but do not want to push it to its limits)..

Is my way of changing good or what?
Che Che is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use a 306b. Balance setting every charge. Usually charge between 2 and 3c. Parallel every charge. Terminate HV lipos at 4.27 and normal lipos at 4.17. Never leave them charged. Never charge unattended. Most packs seem to last me awhile.

Saje Marvin - Citizen 125
Raz0rSh4rp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2016, 09:05 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Oh well...

On the strength of this thread I decided to start parallel charging. I have two 6S 3000 mAh packs I use at 12S for a scale heli. I have always charged them one after another, on the flying day (checking weather first) at 1C which takes nearly 2 hours.

So I bought a parallel charge board and the necessary extra plugs and balance leads (the balance leads on the packs sooo short).

Since my usual charge is 3A I supposed I'd do it at 6A - first problem - my old Bantam (e-station BC6-DC) charger only goes to 5A.
OK so set at 5A. Second problem - according to the manual at 6S the charge current is limited to 3.6A, which is not much more than I's use for a single pack. SO it's going to take about the same time as charging them individually - so little is gained. I suppose it at least eliminates the down time when I see the first is charged an connect the second. Oh well..
Old 07-29-2016, 01:19 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The bc-6 is slow. Only 50w Max. I started with one. Still have it and use it for my nitro starters etc. switching to a pl6 was the best I ever did. Now I parallel 3 6s 3300 and 2 6s 1400 at once and I'm happy

Sent from my iPhone while my Heli plays with the gophers
"Tri-Flow"
I put that S*** on everything!"
banditpowdercoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2016, 05:47 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Che View Post
As I understand things about LiPo batteries, when charging in parallel, if one battery cell is not like others, charger charge them all to be 4,20 in total, so some is over if some is under nominal charge.
Your understanding is incorrect. All the parallel cells end up at the exact same voltage. They have to be equal because they are connected in parallel, so if one was higher or lower voltage then charge would flow to equalise.

If the battery internal resistance is very different then one may get slightly higher than the other during the high current phase of the charge but they will equalise as the charge current drops.

Someone used an analogy of a series of water buckets all connected 'in parallel' to each other by pipes. Some buckets might be big, some might be small (size is analogous to mAh capacity) it makes no difference. The water level (level is analogous to voltage) in all the buckets must end up exactly the same because water will flow through the pipes to make it so.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:50 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by npomeroy View Post
Second problem - according to the manual at 6S the charge current is limited to 3.6A, which is not much more than I's use for a single pack. SO it's going to take about the same time as charging them individually - so little is gained.
The advantage of parallel charging can only be realised if you have a charger with enough power to exploit it.

A 50W charger is to be honest woefully inadequate for charging 6S batteries... time to upgrade!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:06 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
The advantage of parallel charging can only be realised if you have a charger with enough power to exploit it.

A 50W charger is to be honest woefully inadequate for charging 6S batteries... time to upgrade!
my favorite was when my uncled (who flies planks) Showed up to the field with is NEW X4 EXTREAM CHARGER 50w x4.....

He was so excited. im like cool man!

Some just don't get the math. 50 W charger is only going to charge a 6S pack at 2.1 amps. MAX.

-Markus
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relisys190 View Post
... Some just don't get the math. 50 W charger is only going to charge a 6S pack at 2.1 amps. MAX.

-Markus
I get the math. Wasn't conscious that my charger was only 80W.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Your understanding is incorrect. All the parallel cells end up at the exact same voltage. They have to be equal because they are connected in parallel, so if one was higher or lower voltage then charge would flow to equalise.
Okay.. so you can always just balance parallel charge them all to 4.20v, no matter if one have some problems? If I understand it...
No need for that what I am doing.. charge to 4.15 and then balance one by one to 4.20v ?

Thanks for your help...
Che Che is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
I get the math. Wasn't conscious that my charger was only 80W.

Talking about my misinformed uncle

-Markus
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Che View Post
Okay.. so you can always just balance parallel charge them all to 4.20v, no matter if one have some problems? If I understand it...
No need for that what I am doing.. charge to 4.15 and then balance one by one to 4.20v ?

Thanks for your help...

Depends on what would you define as having problems
Old 07-30-2016, 12:42 AM   #58 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

I guess the key takeaway here is that you don't want any balance connector pins not making contact. This does make me rethink parallel charging. I actually had this scenario hit me where a cable didn't connect properly causing the lipo to get quite out of balance and at wrong voltage overall. Fortunately was only 2 or 3S and very low mAh and I eventually figured out what had gone wrong through a discussion on here.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:50 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Is there any more need to balance charge when parallel vs single charging? Despite my power limitations noted above, when I parallel charged (with balance setting and connections) today I noticed the charger kept fluctuating 0A - to 0.4A and back again without quite completing the charge. One of the packs has a dodgy balance lead that one cell sometimes drops out. So I guess the charger was "seeing" this and trying to compensate. Usually the packs stay nicely balanced so in future I think I'll not connect the balance leads. If the calls turn out to be unbalanced I'll correct it with my PowerPilot.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:44 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
in future I think I'll not connect the balance leads. If the calls turn out to be unbalanced I'll correct it with my PowerPilot.
Worst thing you can do, if you have an issue with a lead, fix it. Charging packs without balance leads attached is one of the main reasons these things catch fire.

Without the balance leads, the charger can only see the overall voltage of the pack, and that's pretty much always going to end up with at least one cell that's being charged over 4.2V.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in