Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the great explanation!

I was trying to figure out the equations and working out how to get the 'area under the curve'. That would have taken me another day to learn that stuff!! And actually those figures look somewhat good.

So if you assume a 225 watts instead of the 450 watts(insane 3d) then the 6s gets approx 5 1/2 minutes and the 3s gets 4 1/2 minutes... about a minute more under real world conditions....

Combine that with the G5 head and you have yourself a significantly more efficient setup!

I've been considering going to 4s....but seeing the cost of changing things around I'll wait until I get a G5 and go to 6s(or higher if I can)... if I'm going to change things then I might as well do it right! Till then 3s for me with my money going to some new cells!!

Thanks again eweb for taking the time with the explanation, equations and numbers to back it up!
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjawed View Post
Thanks for the great explanation!

I was trying to figure out the equations and working out how to get the 'area under the curve'. That would have taken me another day to learn that stuff!! And actually those figures look somewhat good.

So if you assume a 225 watts instead of the 450 watts(insane 3d) then the 6s gets approx 5 1/2 minutes and the 3s gets 4 1/2 minutes... about a minute more under real world conditions....

Combine that with the G5 head and you have yourself a significantly more efficient setup!

I've been considering going to 4s....but seeing the cost of changing things around I'll wait until I get a G5 and go to 6s(or higher if I can)... if I'm going to change things then I might as well do it right! Till then 3s for me with my money going to some new cells!!

Thanks again eweb for taking the time with the explanation, equations and numbers to back it up!
Putting all the electriclal equations aside, and for curiosity sake what is it that your looking for by going 4S or 6S ? And are you planning on changing motors?
TBS Disco w Core Naza GPS FPV 1.2 vtx MT Tiger motors
02deuce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm looking for a flawlessly performing heli. Something with no shortage of power and nice flight times. Something that appeals to my engineering side.

I'm now at a stage where my 3s packs need replacing. My girlfriend got me some 3s 2100 tp prolites but they aren't going to be up to par. So with all the good things I've heard about higher voltage setups I thought maybe I should make the move now.

But with my current equipment setup I would have to at the least get:

All new batteries
New Charger
New Motor
A BEC
New ESC for 6s

So as you can see that'll be a couple of hundred bucks. So I considered just a 4s in which case I could get away with doing it for less with keeping my same motor. I would be running gov mode. But it still doesn't do much for me unless I really go all in!

For now I'm going to just go for maybe the tp prolite 2600 v2 batteries. I won't have to change anything. And besides its winter now! But my next heli will be something like the G5 with a 6s setup. At that point I would probably get rid of all my trex 450 gear.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you had these ESC you didnt have to Change that, it takes 2 to 6 sell lipos and have a built in 5V BEC.
http://www.helihobby.no/product_info...roducts_id=213
If you change that now the batteries and motor can come next time you have to change batteries.
Changes in small peases take less from the economy.
Exo 500
Mr.Andersen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjawed View Post
I'm looking for a flawlessly performing heli. Something with no shortage of power and nice flight times. Something that appeals to my engineering side.

I'm now at a stage where my 3s packs need replacing. My girlfriend got me some 3s 2100 tp prolites but they aren't going to be up to par. So with all the good things I've heard about higher voltage setups I thought maybe I should make the move now.

But with my current equipment setup I would have to at the least get:

All new batteries
New Charger
New Motor
A BEC
New ESC for 6s

So as you can see that'll be a couple of hundred bucks. So I considered just a 4s in which case I could get away with doing it for less with keeping my same motor. I would be running gov mode. But it still doesn't do much for me unless I really go all in!

For now I'm going to just go for maybe the tp prolite 2600 v2 batteries. I won't have to change anything. And besides its winter now! But my next heli will be something like the G5 with a 6s setup. At that point I would probably get rid of all my trex 450 gear.
I understand....somewhat. Having tried almost all the battery/motor combos and manufactures. Go with Outrage 3S packs and you will see a very noticible improvement in motor performance. I dont think you would be very happy with the XL motor on 4S IMHO.
TBS Disco w Core Naza GPS FPV 1.2 vtx MT Tiger motors
02deuce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #26 (permalink)

My HF Map location

is there any thing needed special for a 4s setup? i got an align RCE-BC35X ESC and a 430XL Motor
crehop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just plugged in a 4s battery into my 450 v1. 430Xl motor 35X ESC and changed my pinion to 11 teeth. The power is AWSOME, the head speed must be at least 3600 RPM. The only thing I'm worried about is the rotor head. The ESC, Battery and the Motor seems to be able to handle the extra Voltage. Once you try 4S you will never go back to 3S.
kinosoo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Kinosoo...did you use an external BEC? What is your flight time? What mah batts?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ext BEC should not be needed,

From Align homepage

RCE-BL35X
●Supporting input voltage:5.5V~16.8V
●Supporting battery types: Li-ion/ Li-poly 2~4 cells, Ni-Mh 6-12 cells
●BEC output voltage(6V) to show great performance on the torque & speed of servo.

RCM-BL430XL
●Input voltage: DC7.4~14.8v
Old 12-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Instruction sheet for ESC shows that it doesn't support 4 servos at 4s though. That is why I was asking kinosoo...and I don't hear of anyone really running 4s with the 430xl.

Anyway the way I see it I'll go G5 6s when I get a chance.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it doesn't support large servos draving a lot of current. But we are talking about four hitec HS56 mirco servos. I only started flying with 4S. The only difference I notice is the amount of Power available. I can go full collective with no noticable RPM decrease, and it climbs like a rocket!!!!
Using Thunder Power Extreme 4S 2200 mAH, 5 minutes of Hard flying and I'm putting 1200 mAH back, so it's well below 80% capacity. My only worry is that I'm still using a short boom and 315 Align blades. I should upgrade to 325 Align Carbons which can handle the RPM increase.
PS No external BEC
Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Interesting that you are running no BEC...I'm running all digital servos so my amp draw is higher...

How cool is your ESC after a flight? Motor temp?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

I don't have an actual temperature measuring device, but everything is cool to the finger touch. You have to consider that the 35X ESC has a huge heat sink and current draw is lot less for a 4S. Heat is definitely not a factor. As far as servos, I really do not think Digital micro servos draw more current then analog servos. I could be wrong though... I used to think that there is mystery running 4s or higher. It comes down to just plugging a 4S Battery in and trying. If it melts everything then you're SOL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in