Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR

mSR Blade (eFlite) Micro SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Extended tail boom

Has anyone used an extended tail boom on their MSR? I see a guy who is selling them online; they are an inch longer than stock and available either hollow or solid. Did anyone see improvements using these extensions. The TBO is pretty bad on my MSR, and I have heard of extending the boom helping this on other models. Also, would the wires for the tail motor be long enough to make up for the extra 1" or would I need to do some soldering work. It looks like it should work, but I am not sure.

On another note, WHY IS THERE NO AFTERMARKET MOTORS FOR THE MSR?!?!?! The MSR would be absolutely awesome with a better tail and main motor. I know Xtreme makes a main replacement for the 120SR, so why not for the MSR? They would absolutely fly off the shelves!

Here is the link for the tail boom: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330588702635...=p5197.c0.m619

Thanks,
Blake.
08silverado is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The mSR doesn't need an extended boom. The tail should NOT be blowing out on full-throttle punches unless it has a dying tail motor and/or bent blade(s).

Toilet-bowling is caused by parts binding up, and/or by worn links and other head components-- it has nothing to do with the tail.

The stock motors are best suited for their purpose. There's no aftermarket because producing a custom run of motors would end up with the motors costing more than the stock ones, and then you'd have issues with the stock 5-in-1's FET chips' limitations and current draw, as well as limitations with the lipos and their C rating. Besides, they don't even make it anymore.

The Solo Pro uses a similar main motor, and is a suitable replacement. Also, the Ultra Micro plane motors will work if you can swap the pinion without damaging the motor. The right-hand mCX2 drive motor is the same as the tail motor.
hydro_pyro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I actually just bought a new tail motor today and it seems to have less blowout. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

One word of advice to the noobies....Hydro_Pyro is the man to talk to with any, any problems with the msr...asside from being a fellow Michigander, he knows his stuff. He has helped me out hundreds of times...listen to what he says and learn!

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay then! How do you guys feel about a solid carbon fiber tail boom? I know it would make the heli tail heavy, but I am getting carbon fiber landing gear and already have a microheli swash, so I think they would balance it out.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The more 'BLING' you add, the more problems you will have.

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agreed. You don't want to make the mSR tail heavy. Broken tail booms are not common with this helicopter.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright. I already ordered one (as it only cost $5), so I will test it out... if it's too tail heavy then I will switch it out.I doubt it could weigh too much though, and I figure that the difference in weight added with the landing skids will probably be pretty similar to the added weight of the boom.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Skids are centered around the main shaft, which is the ideal balance point. If you're using heaveier-than-stock batteries, just push the pack fully forward. Tie a thread to the spindle and hang it. You want the boom to be perfectly horizontal.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

BTW, I asked the guy who sells these on eBay, and he said that the solid one only weighs 1/10th of a gram (.1 gram) more than the hollow one, so it should really make a difference...
Old 03-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can believe it weighs only 0.1g more than stock and that weight will be distributed along it, so it shouldn't affect it much.

Even so, I agree the solid or extended boom isn't really needed on the mSR. I've had mine for well over a year, flown the cr*p out of it and broken lots of parts at some point or other. It's still got the original tailboom/motor.
Buzzfly BE (aka Walkera 4#3B)
wulfrun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Aside from durability, wouldn't a longer tail boom give the motor more tail authority? I'm having problems with my MSR motor overheating and I've been trying to find some info on extending the boom...doesn't seem like many have tried it on the MSR, or at least reported on it.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

if you are worried about the weight of an extended boom just loose the tail fin, i fly mine without on a stock boom and there is no problem with tail authority
Old 05-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kilgore, if your main motor is over heating it will die soon the ratio for motor burnout is 1 tail motor for 2 main motors.
pick up 2 spare mains and 1 tail motor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in