Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Spectrum/BeastX (AR7200BX)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ystem-w-BeastX

Has anyone tried this? Will it fit in the 250?
jfh666 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got mine installed the other day. It just BARELY fits between the frames horizontally. Haven't got a chance to do a test hop yet...I'll maiden it tonight.

Rexaholic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Please let us know your findings :)

I have one on my way to and really like to know more about your experience with it.

thanks
AntonieB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AR7200BX

I just set mine up last nite. Everything seems very nice with it. I have a question...unlike any of my other flybar helis, when i let go of the right elevator/aileron stick, the swashplate is very slow to return to its center/level position. Is this normal for a flybarless control system?
justindewoody is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindewoody View Post
I just set mine up last nite. Everything seems very nice with it. I have a question...unlike any of my other flybar helis, when i let go of the right elevator/aileron stick, the swashplate is very slow to return to its center/level position. Is this normal for a flybarless control system?
Yes
QueadlunnRau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Whats the $damage$ on this upgrade? Is it worth it in the end?
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mine is ordered thru my LHS - ill get next Thu. Then i need to get a head too but i cant fly for another 2 months so no rush. Just wanted to be sure it'll fit in the frame.

Its about 240-250$ here in Canada.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Let me start by saying that I am a long time vbar guy...in fact this is my first FBL unit besides my beloved vbars...

...I think I have found a new love...

The beastx is so simple to set up and tune. I put about 6 packs through it this afternoon and my 250 now just about flys like its bigger brothers.

Here is what I've done so far:
  • mikado conversion head
  • Stock 410's on cyclic
  • moved the cyclic balls in on the horns to 10.5 mm for correct geometry at 6 degrees...it's perfect with the mikado head
  • ar7200bx is mounted horizontal and inverted with the pins facing towards the nose...the gyro plate is on the "top shelf" When I say it's a tight fit...I mean it is a freakin tight fit!
  • my pots are still a work in progress but I'm getting close...right now they are:
    • pot 1 - 9 o'clock
    • pot 2 - 10 o'clock
    • pot 3 - about 12:30...this is with an inolab ds261hb on the tail
It has held great in the mild 3d stuff (funnels, tail slides, tic-tocs, half piro flips). I'm gonna put the fire to it tomorrow morning if the weather holds out with some harder 3d and see how she does.

I am very impressed with this little unit so far. Not ready to pass final judgement yet. I'll know better tomorrow.

Rexaholic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can see it got in-built two wires of antennas
QYT001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexaholic View Post
Let me start by saying that I am a long time vbar guy...in fact this is my first FBL unit besides my beloved vbars...

The beastx is so simple to set up and tune. I put about 6 packs through it this afternoon and my 250 now just about flys like its bigger brothers.

• mikado conversion head
  • Stock 410's on cyclic
  • moved the cyclic balls in on the horns to 10.5 mm for correct geometry at 6 degrees...it's perfect with the mikado head
  • ar7200bx is mounted horizontal and inverted with the pins facing towards the nose...the gyro plate is on the "top shelf" When I say it's a tight fit...I mean it is a freakin tight fit!
  • my pots are still a work in progress but I'm getting close...right now they are:
    • pot 1 - 9 o'clock
    • pot 2 - 10 o'clock
It has held great in the mild 3d stuff (funnels, tail slides, tic-tocs, half piro flips). I'm gonna put the fire to it tomorrow morning if the weather holds out with some harder 3d and see how she does.

I am very impressed with this little unit so far. Not ready to pass final judgement yet. I'll know better tomorrow.
This is very encouraging for a guy that just spent a few hundred dollars and is still waiting for it.

Any reasons for the Mikado head? I was originally thinknig the Align just cause my LHS has parts in stock.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexaholic View Post

• mikado conversion head
  • Stock 410's on cyclic
    • pot 1 - 9 o'clock
    • pot 2 - 10 o'clock

Where did you buy mikado conversion head for 250?
QYT001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for your setup Rexaholic
first flight every thing at 12 o'clock NOT GOOG
second flight used your settings its a very good starting point
Trex 600 EFL Pro super combo,BeastX
d3sbo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by QYT001 View Post
Where did you buy mikado conversion head for 250?
2 sec google search:

http://www.readyheli.com/MIK4308-V-B...r_p_37119.html
Old 02-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default antennas

Quote:
Originally Posted by QYT001 View Post
I can see it got in-built two wires of antennas
Just installing an AR7200BX today, the antenna combination seems unique. I noticed both antennas have a sort of insulation on them that leaves exactly 3.2 cm of bare-wire antenna exposed at the end of each. That's the 1/4-wave length I believe.

But do you suppose the insulation is an RF shield, so that just the 3.2cm parts act to receive? Ideally then, the bare wire end-sections can be spaced apart a bit, and kept straight, while the lead-in to the bare sections can be curved around to reach the desired placement.

I noticed some builders encase their antennas in some type of tube, maybe heat-shrink? Any problems with that? Seems a good way to protect the antenna, and provide a way to fix the antenna to the chassis for safe positioning, with hot-glue for example?.
salience is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is possible that they used coax and left 1/4 wave exposed at the end. So the end is the antenna and the rest of the lead may be transmission line. If that is the case then yes it can be routed to anywhere just so the antenna part is straight. One would have to ask Horizon or disect the antenna to be sure of its construction.

Most wire insulation, plastic tubing and heatshrink is invisible to RF with maybe a slight amount of attenuation but probably not.

YMMV, Don
dbennettya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
It is possible that they used coax and left 1/4 wave exposed at the end.
YMMV, Don
You got it right, Don. I took a look at the antennas at 32x and the end 32mm that seemed like bare wire to the "naked eye" actually has a thin clear insulation. The grey parts of both antennas are in fact coaxial, with a typical shield surrounded by grey outer insulation. This seems like a new type of antenna from Spektrum, I'm surprised they aren't touting it as "revolutionary" or at least "new". It's definitely a good way to have two separate antennas exiting from the same hole on the box.
best regards.
salience is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by salience View Post
You got it right, Don. I took a look at the antennas at 32x and the end 32mm that seemed like bare wire to the "naked eye" actually has a thin clear insulation. The grey parts of both antennas are in fact coaxial, with a typical shield surrounded by grey outer insulation. This seems like a new type of antenna from Spektrum, I'm surprised they aren't touting it as "revolutionary" or at least "new". It's definitely a good way to have two separate antennas exiting from the same hole on the box.
best regards.
That's what my Futaba 2.4GHz receivers have always looked like, so I doubt they can claim it as revolutionary!

But in any case this is a slick setup. I'm waiting for mine to arrive. It will arrive protected by $100 worth of plastic heli!
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only downside is that now that the tail is so solid i keep bogging the head. I ordered the Viper 3600kv.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the great replies guys, I think I will go ahead and have a play.

Actually the plan is to buy two Blade 300X's and use one for spares and grab the BeastX from one and play with it in my 250's.
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rexaholic, thanks for the quick "review". I actually ordered this a few days ago, but haven't installed it yet. I was concerned about the fitment of the unit horizontally as I like the tidy look without another piece electronics hanging off the side as I have the ESC now.
wkma7six is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in