Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 630/700/770

SAB Goblin 630/700/770 SAB Heli Division 630/700/770 - Goblin Helicopters Factory Support

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Goblin thread for noobs buying Goblins

Goblins are... how should I put it,... "Fresh meat" being served up at the table of accomplished heli addicts!

But I've just got to believe that there are at least a few new guys (like me) to the hobby, or at least new to "big helis". You know guys who are going to build and fly a Goblin while the learn to do figure eights and loops!

So I wanted to start a thread for newer guys who are also purchasing the new SAB and want to talk "Goblin"

You know, a place for questions and comments about Goblin setups, likes and dislikes and anything else related to the Goblin without the the social stigma of dumb sounding question worked into conversatoin of Experieced Rotorheads flexing their intellectual prowess with one another. If you get my drift.

Let me start:

I like Green, Goblins are Green, and so I must have a Goblin!

Goblins are so big that the tail section will have to be taken off everytime I transport,
I wonder what kind of wear and tear problems this is going to caues?

Scorpion motors are not as effecient as Kontronic motors I don't think but they look a lot cooler... but I dont know what the "LE" designation means for the 4025 -512?

Looks to me like the landing skids are not going to take much abuse where they attatche to the frame when I bounce it hard. (Like I'm not supposed too.)

I want to buy batteries but dont know what brand will fit for sure without modifications

I want to build a setup for the longest flight times with ample power. I am more interested in keeping the bird in the air than... "4 minutes of killer 3d".
Wondering what the best conbination would be?

Lets talk...

Last edited by windwizard; 02-15-2012 at 12:21 AM..
windwizard is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwizard View Post
Goblins are... how should I put it,... "Fresh meat" being served up at the table of accomplished heli addicts!

But I've just got to believe that there are at least a few new guys (like me) to the hobby, or at least new to "big helis". You know guys who are going to build and fly a Goblin while the learn to do figure eights and loops!

So I wanted to start a thread for newer guys who are also purchasing the new SAB and want to talk "Goblin"

You know, a place for questions and comments about Goblin setups, likes and dislikes and anything else related to the Goblin without the the social stigma of dumb sounding question worked into conversatoin of Experieced Rotorheads flexing their intellectual prowess with one another. If you get my drift.

Let me start:

I like Green, Goblins are Green, and so I must have a Goblin!

Goblins are so big that the tail section will have to be taken off everytime I transport,
I wonder what kind of wear and tear problems this is going to caues?

Scorpion motors are not as effecient as Kontronic motors I don't think but they look a lot cooler... but I dont know what the "LE" designation means for the 4025 -512?

Looks to me like the landing skids are not going to take much abuse where they attatche to the frame when I bounce it hard. (Like I'm not supposed too.)

I want to buy batteries but dont know what brand will fit for sure without modifications

I want to build a setup for the longest flight times with ample power. I am more interested in keeping the bird in the air than... "4 minutes of killer 3d".

Lets talk...
I will answer some questions...

The landing gear is very strong, what is good about the design that either side fits. So if it does break you can use a left side on a right and can buy separate. The landing gear is also designed to break to prevent the frame from damage.

You can use the Thunder power 65C 5000mah they fit and lower the headspeed for better flight times.

All helis in that size are big at least with the goblin you can easily remove the tail for transport vs some helis you cant. If done properly i dont think you will have wear and tear...Bert has crashed his boom several times hard and still in tact.

Hope this helps
Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think a noob needs to go and buy the most expensive batteries on the planet, ThunderPower 65C. Use HobbyKing 5000mAh Turnigy NanoTech 65C - 130C packs. They will fit (I am using them on my Goblin, so I checked). They are about 1/3rd the price as the TP and just as good IMO.

You will likley crash and damage the packs before their useful life has expired anyway (hopefully not, but likely). Go with less expensive batteries for that reason alone.

Whoever told you the Scorpion is a less efficient motor than the Kontronik lied to you. However, get the Xera 4030/2.5Y-470Kv motor for efficiency, top quality and lowest cost. Using this motor and battery with a nice low headspeed of 1750 to 1800 should give you around 9-10 minute flights depending on how hard you fly circuits / sport fly. You will need the 22T or 23T pinion pulley.

For ESC go with the Castle Creation ICE2 120HV to save money or go with the Kontronik 120HV Jive or even better the YGE 120HV (for V-Bar) for slightly better efficiency (they freewheel, while the CC does not). If you are tight on budget you can use a HV 80 amp Kontronik or 90A YGE ESC with the Xera I referenced. And LE stands for Limited Edition.

For YGE look here
http://www.rotorquest.com/index.php?cPath=978_45_1353

RH is the Kontronik dealer many use.
rexxigpilot is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxigpilot View Post
I don't think a noob needs to go and buy the most expensive batteries on the planet, ThunderPower 65C. Use HobbyKing 5000mAh Turnigy NanoTech 65C - 130C packs. They will fit (I am using them on my Goblin, so I checked). They are about 1/3rd the price as the TP and just as good IMO.
Agreed. Thunder Power was just an option. Yes the NT 65C will work too and will make things way cheaper. as TP get expensive when you start buying 3- 4 sets.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
... but I dont know what the "LE" designation means for the 4025 -512?
LE ... limited edition, they don't wind in strands which would be easier. Winding is done using single, thick wires, simplified lower resistance, higher current. Basically all of them (4525/4530/4535) can take peaks up to 300A and beyond...
Those motors are modified to deliver as much power as possible. You want be able to get the same performance from a bigger 5035...

Quote:
They take much more than it looks like. Those kind of skids are in use since years here in Europe.

Quote:
Just check dimensions, most HK and other brands batteries fit...

Maximum Battery Size: 60mm x 58mm x 350mm

http://www.goblin-helicopter.com/sho...ducts_id=22161

Quote:
From my older Setups I would use something like 4 - 4500mAh 12s and a Align 700MX 510 or 530KV motor. Esc depends on your preferences, with VBar I would use the new Scorpion Esc or a cheaper option a Fusion Hawk 120HV with external BEC. Simple and good but expensive option would be a PowerJive.
-Klaus
Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofmaya View Post
From my older Setups I would use something like 4 - 4500mAh 12s and a Align 700MX 510 or 530KV motor. Esc depends on your preferences, with VBar I would use the new Scorpion Esc or a cheaper option a Fusion Hawk 120HV with external BEC. Simple and good but expensive option would be a PowerJive.
-Klaus
I think the CC 120A would be a very good option, logging, bailout and very very configurable. The gov on it, altho not first rate, is very simple the set up. I'm thinking about going CC 120 or 160A for mine.
felborn is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
BD Forum Support

You're buying high class heli so I suppose you should use some at least quality stuff.
I would buy Kontronik's JIVE 120 or YGE as they are a reliable brands. Do you know what CC stands for? Castle Cremation!

You can save a lot of money on batteries. You definitelly don't need TP batteries and even 65C isn't necessary. I think 45C is the one you want.
popokatepetl is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by popokatepetl View Post
You're buying high class heli so I suppose you should use some at least quality stuff.
I would buy Kontronik's JIVE 120 or YGE as they are a reliable brands. Do you know what CC stands for? Castle Cremation!
It aint that bad, the new Ice2 collections seems to hold up very well and it holds a tons of features for a very fair price. I'm not gonna spend the crazy money Kontronic charge for one. The middle road would be the Scorpion I think, and the cheapest options seems to the the Platinium Pro. I have 70+ flights on my 600EFL Pro without any issues with my CC, and there are hundreds of us flying them without things going up in flames.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got 25c 5000mah nano techs but I won't be doing aggressive flying, I want to run a low head speed using a 4035- 560kv scorpion motor will the batts be ok and how low head speed would I be able to run and how high?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

sorry if im off topic here but just wanted to say +1 on castle creations it really sucks that parts got changed on them from where they buy and it wasnt caught (FIRE FIRE) however it was resolved and castle has some pretty big things in the works right now... Also all ive ever used is castle creations no problems over here, besides that I love the logging.
Tmiedema4 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

HW120HV , that can an option , gonna try that first , then later the scorpion130A
Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

@euwan. I am using 5000 20c turnigy in my T-rex 700. I do sport flying and mild 3d and they perform just fine for about 6min. In your case you have 125A continues supply from the batterie, but the scorpion is rated at about 80-90A.
For my Goblin I bought 4000 40c turnigy, trying to get the bird lite.
With my flying style, I have had enough after 5min and am happy to land in one peace. I dont know why beginers always want to fly so long, they should rather make a brake after 5min and regain concentration. My oppionion.

Regards, Markus
Fuji is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My buddies Ice160HV went up in flames this weekend. Not just quit, it literally came down on fire. This was an ICE2 that he received back after sending his original ICE after the recall.

Big Fil is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fil View Post
My buddies Ice160HV went up in flames this weekend. Not just quit, it literally came down on fire. This was an ICE2 that he received back after sending his original ICE after the recall.
From what I have read, and I'm inclined to believe, the real issue with Castle's HV line has more to do with the design than a parts change from their manufacturer. An engineer who specialized in designing high powered ESCs for military applications in Australia pointed it out to them. The layout of the FET board as well as component selection was borderline. To prove his point, he designed a different FET board and used Castle's controller and even designed it to use 16S or more. Last I read, he hasn't had any issues with it during his testing. This was a while back.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

With the Scorpion Commander V out now, why bother with a Castle? It even has a built in rpm sensor for Vbar gov.

When you consider the commander has a robust high capacity BEC, at $350 it's a good value as well. The Castle 160 is $270 and you still need a $100 BEC.

I have a new Castle 120HV sitting in a drawer. It's not going on the Goblin. Too many guys like Fil popping into threads terrifying me of a flame out to trust one again. Seems like its gone all wrong for them in the last year. Hard to see that. But I would think ICE3 will be really robust given this nightmarish year.
OnTheSnap is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
When you consider the commander has a robust high capacity BEC, at $350 it's a good value as well. The Castle 160 is $270 and you still need a $100 BEC.
Outrage servoes, thats just a 2S lipo straigth to the FBL unit? Atleast thats what I'm hoping. Are there a gov on the Scorpion ESC? I'm planing on using a BeastX unit if feedback on goblin and BeastX combination is good, so Vbar compatibility aint a huge pluss for me. Shame that CC has messed up their reportation so badly, they offer a good products at a good price.. that is until your 2500$ goblin goes up in flames.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Elektrorc.com sells YGE in the US. It also looks like Readyheli is about to carry the YGE 160 with heat sink branded as a Mikado part.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
I have a new Castle 120HV sitting in a drawer. It's not going on the Goblin. Too many guys like Fil popping into threads terrifying me of a flame out to trust one again. Seems like its gone all wrong for them in the last year. Hard to see that. But I would think ICE3 will be really robust given this nightmarish year.
Dunno if you heard that Castle Cremations sells all their ESCs as "BNF" these days.
Bind N Fry! hehe... couldn't resist.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by felborn View Post
Outrage servoes, thats just a 2S lipo straigth to the FBL unit? Atleast thats what I'm hoping. Are there a gov on the Scorpion ESC? I'm planing on using a BeastX unit if feedback on goblin and BeastX combination is good, so Vbar compatibility aint a huge pluss for me. Shame that CC has messed up their reportation so badly, they offer a good products at a good price.. that is until your 2500$ goblin goes up in flames.
Yes, they support a native 8.4V. With the Scorpion BEC you can run 7.4V max. Which is certainly good enough.

Bert is running the native Scorpion gov AFAIK, and he has commented he likes it. I haven't seen much other feedback. But given that you're posting in the n00b thread, if you're not super picky about it (like me), then you'll likely be very happy.
OnTheSnap is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lipo's - Such a contentious topic. If you are a noob, you are going to crash, so totally agree on inexpensive Lipos or if you don't fly a lot. In these cases you will never win on either 50% crash replacement or 100 + cycle life. I have yet to get more than 50 flights on HK anything, Nano's, Turnigys, before power loss and puffing, but I fly a LOT, and crash infrequently. So in this case I can easily prove TP is cheaper with 2 year warranty alone.

ESC - I would try the new Scorpion Ver. 5, cost effective, good specs.

Synergy N5C sitting in Box...
Mystic3D is offline        Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in