Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Heads and Rotor Blades

Heads and Rotor Blades Heads and Rotor Blades Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Before I take the 5 Bladed plunge!

Before I take the complete 5 bladed money pit plunge, I need a little (a lot of) guidance.

This is what I have at this point;
  • Blade 400
  • Helliartist MD500E Fuse
  • 2 HS65MG
  • S9257
  • GY401
  • Align 35A ESC
  • HK 5 Bladed head assembly
I am looking at the SK 720 for eStab (to replace the GY401) and Scorpion 2221-10 or 8 at this point. Where I am lacking knowledge is on how to make all this work. What blades do I need, what tail rotor assembly (assuming 2 blades are not enough), Phasing, Pinion Gear, motor, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wow, almost a hundred views and not one reply. Does anyone know of a member here that I can PM the question to?
Old 04-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, 100 folks have looked and none know, this happens, i'm sure someone will look who can answer you soon.

Henseleit TDR, Minicopter. Mikado. Jeti Carbon Red DS16. Plus scale stuff
satsuma is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a Blade400 i have EXI 9 gram servos on cyclics TowerPro on the tail with a Futuba 240gyro and 2750KV motor with a 13tooth pinion and a 40 AMP ESC from HobbyPartz http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dym-0011.html I also have KDBB on the tail 61MM Here's a VDO [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpcZKTlkoHY[/ame] I know its just a four bladed head but it kinda give's you an idea the Blades are from Aerodyne and they are the weighted ones and i don't have any E-Stabiz on it Oh yeah the head came from HK
Old 04-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Captain,

Well...will try to help.

I mounted several 450'swith five blades head, will recommend what parts I found the best:

Motor....Turnigy 2200 KVs
Speed...Turnigy Plush 60 Amp. ( this support 4cells)
Battery..Turnigy 2200maH 4S ( 14,8 volts)
pinion ...13 teets
Blades...Heli Artist Scale Blades ( set of five, narrow profile...VERY NICE ONES )
FBL......I just used Align 3G ( there is plenty of nice options..is with you here $$$)

Now...the tail question...I strongly recommend to use the stock mechanic tail.... BUT with bigger blades...the 500's size blades are a good option, out of scale but the only way to have tail authority !.

The motor with low KV give you lot of torque in low Head Speed, with the bigger blades and a good setup in the FBL the heli fly nice and predictable in any condition.

hope this help !
Manuel.
krumrick2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Capt Speirs here is what I run on two birds. Both Align, a 500E and a 500D running 450S and 450 SE mechs.

Both have CopterX 5 blade heads which I find great value, just replace the crap SS bolts with hi-test stuff if you use these. I use Scorpion 2221-12 motors and Turnigy 60A esc's, with 4s 2200's and 9, yes nine tooth pinions. Just as a percaution I replaced the flat plate heat sink on the esc's with bigger finned jobs. I used Arctic Silver thermal epoxy to attatch the sinks. I use Hi-Tec 65MG's on cyclic and 5084MG's on tail with Futaba 401's.

I do not run e-stab and find they fly pretty good at my level of flying skill.

However tail authority can be an issue. I have found that the stock tail blades from a Thunder Tiger E325 Mini Titan are wider in chord and about 3mm longer. They are also a paddle shape rather than a batwing shape. These seem to work a treat on my set up. I only get a slight yaw with a big pitch pump but I live with it.

I use semi scale tip weighted narrow chord flexible blades. I purchased these blades from Century RC in Hong Kong.

I find this set up to be a good compromise on these two helis. I just fiddled with the head speeds 'till the tails had some traction. The motors spin freely and I get about seven odd minutes flying and all is cool. In fact the rigs fly cooler than when I was using -8 Scorps on 3s with two blades....! These two ships have been very reliable units and get a fair bit of air time, what else can I say.

Sure the things are a tad squirrely when the wind is gusty but I love a challenge

I hope this info helps you make a decision. These birds are good fun IMO and with the multi blades I get lots of onlookers having a closer look and lots of questions..He He..!.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, just ordered a Scorpion 2221-12 and a Phoenix ICE 50amp ESC. I am going to use Align's 550 tail rotor blades. I will, for the time, stick with my GY401 and use rigid weighted blades. As for the pinion gear, not sure yet and as far as setting up the head I haven't enough info yet to make a decision on setting up the phasing and angles.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Speirs View Post
Ok, just ordered a Scorpion 2221-12 and a Phoenix ICE 50amp ESC. I am going to use Align's 550 tail rotor blades. I will, for the time, stick with my GY401 and use rigid weighted blades. As for the pinion gear, not sure yet and as far as setting up the head I haven't enough info yet to make a decision on setting up the phasing and angles.
"Rigid weighted blades" = you need to use a floating rotor head to fly without e-stab
Flexible weighted blades + Rigid head = possible to fly with no e-stab

Do not use weighted blades for E-stab.
Do not use floating head with E-stab.

Rigid blades + Rigid head = need to use e-stab
Non-weighted flexible blades + Rigid head = need to use e-stab
Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTitanium View Post
"Rigid weighted blades" = you need to use a floating rotor head to fly without e-stab
Flexible weighted blades + Rigid head = possible to fly with no e-stab

Do not use weighted blades for E-stab.
Do not use floating head with E-stab.

Rigid blades + Rigid head = need to use e-stab
Non-weighted flexible blades + Rigid head = need to use e-stab
Based on your claim and those of others I have read, it seems to me that flying without eStab is not a good idea regardless. with that said which eStab would you all recommend? I am looking at the SK 720.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Based on your claim and those of others I have read, it seems to me that flying without eStab is not a good idea regardless. with that said which eStab would you all recommend? I am looking at the SK 720.
I have three beastx, easy to setup half the price of the AK...
JoseReyes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseReyes View Post
I have three beastx, easy to setup half the price of the AK...
BeastX
Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Of the BeastX, are there different model? Is there such thing as hands off hover on an eStab?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Of the BeastX, are there different model? Is there such thing as hands off hover on an eStab?
Specktrum AR7200BX is a receiver and flybarless unit in one, same as the beastx but from Specktrum. There's such thing as hands off but with some of the higher end units....
This one does a lot more than hands off...
http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/ve...campaign%3DWKH
JoseReyes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in