Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Futaba Radios

2.4G Futaba Radios Futaba 2.4G Radio Help and support forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Considering the 14sg need help with getting started

I've been flying spektrum since I've been in the hobby. I have a DX8 mainly for the telemetry (which never worked right with RPM). I want to know what you guys like about the 14sg, I'd also like to hear about anyone who might have converted from a DX8 and what are the main gotcha's to look out for.

I want to also know what's the gear to get, does the futaba Rx have teletext built in or will I have to get a module(s) etc. Lastly, if you have or know someone with a 14sg for sale, send me a PM. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Main thing to watch out for is that Futaba have reversed throttle sense, so when setting up your throttle for the first time you will note that at low stick, an ESC will see this as full throttle [default] coming from the Futaba Tx. Simple case of needing to reverse the channel.

Also Spektrum have their Throttle channel on Ch1 and Elevator on Ch3. Futaba default is Throttle on Ch3 and Elevator on Ch1.

Beeper for countdown timer etc on the 14SG is no where near as loud as the DX8 although the 14SG also has a vibe function which sort of helps.

As far as telemetry is concerned, only the following Futaba Rx's currently have this feature - the R7003SB or the R7008SB Rx. The R7008SB is the standard Rx that is supplied with the 14SG.

Here is a review I completed back in April on the 14SG which may be of some value to you: http://www.archeli.com.au/forums/sho...d.php?t=159371
Costas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Costas, that is an amazing in-depth review.
Otto Rotation is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks.....
Costas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Rotation View Post
Costas, that is an amazing in-depth review.
Worthy of a sticky thread for sure!!

I just bought this radio and am about to begin the learning process/transition from JR/Spektrum.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well that makes two of us!!!
Banshee # 45 700 LE and 850
jcflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just installed my 14sg into my Gaui X3 yesterday. It did take a bit of time to get familiar with the menus and functions but now that I have a handle on it I am really loving this radio. It is incredibly configurable and makes flying even more enjoyable.
TRex700MRX likes this.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

my 14sg is on the way , and I hope I don't loose all my Hair trying to program it
John.
mic-21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 02:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 14SG is an awesome radio. I actually made the switch from the DX8 to the 8FG, and from the 8FG to the 14SG. I was nervous about making the jump to Futaba because I heard their warranty service sucks. But I did anyway. Thankfully I haven't needed any warranty service. (Knock on wood). But I don't see myself going back to Spektrum. It takes a little bit to get use to the different setups between Spektrum and Futaba. But once you do, it's nice. I love the telemetry because I don't need separate plug ins for what I use. I run 2S HV packs on my heli's, and I can see the voltage on my 14SG, so I don't have to guess when my pack needs to be charged. A negative of Futaba is it doesn't have model recognition. Meaning if I have 3 heli's, no matter which Heli is selected in the radio, the radio will control any of the 3 heli's. So if I have my radio set for the Logo 600sx but go to fly my 7hv, it will initialize, and I won't realize there is a problem until I go to fly and the controls are incorrect. So you have to pay more attention and a better preflight check. I also love using sbus vs satellites. I usually run a HV line to my sbus RX, and one to my Vbar, that way if I have a failure in power to one, it still gets power from the other. As mentioned, the timer alarm isn't loud, but you have a few different vibe options also. I do a certain vibe for timer, a different one for TX voltage, and a different one for RX voltage. You just have to remember which is which. Lol. If I remember correctly, Spektrums switches offer a little more space between them, than Futaba, so be prepared for that. All in all, I love my 14sg.

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk
9K4O
breathe rc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathe rc View Post
The 14SG is an awesome radio. I actually made the switch from the DX8 to the 8FG, and from the 8FG to the 14SG. I was nervous about making the jump to Futaba because I heard their warranty service sucks. But I did anyway. Thankfully I haven't needed any warranty service. (Knock on wood). A negative of Futaba is it doesn't have model recognition. Meaning if I have 3 heli's, no matter which Heli is selected in the radio, the radio will control any of the 3 heli's. So if I have my radio set for the Logo 600sx but go to fly my 7hv, it will initialize, and I won't realize there is a problem until I go to fly and the controls are incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk
Hi,
About Futaba service.....I have nothing but good things to say about hobby services.

"model recognition" You can enable Model Select on your radio. With model select enabled, the radio will not transmit (RF) at power on until you select the model that you would like to fly.

Hope that helps,
Doug
dvelez3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Doug, I actually forgot about that feature. I usually only have one air worthy Heli at a time, so I usually don't need to worry about it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk
9K4O
Old 01-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathe rc View Post
The 14SG is an awesome radio. I actually made the switch from the DX8 to the 8FG, and from the 8FG to the 14SG. I was nervous about making the jump to Futaba because I heard their warranty service sucks. But I did anyway. Thankfully I haven't needed any warranty service. (Knock on wood). But I don't see myself going back to Spektrum. It takes a little bit to get use to the different setups between Spektrum and Futaba. But once you do, it's nice. I love the telemetry because I don't need separate plug ins for what I use. I run 2S HV packs on my heli's, and I can see the voltage on my 14SG, so I don't have to guess when my pack needs to be charged. A negative of Futaba is it doesn't have model recognition. Meaning if I have 3 heli's, no matter which Heli is selected in the radio, the radio will control any of the 3 heli's. So if I have my radio set for the Logo 600sx but go to fly my 7hv, it will initialize, and I won't realize there is a problem until I go to fly and the controls are incorrect. So you have to pay more attention and a better preflight check. I also love using sbus vs satellites. I usually run a HV line to my sbus RX, and one to my Vbar, that way if I have a failure in power to one, it still gets power from the other. As mentioned, the timer alarm isn't loud, but you have a few different vibe options also. I do a certain vibe for timer, a different one for TX voltage, and a different one for RX voltage. You just have to remember which is which. Lol. If I remember correctly, Spektrums switches offer a little more space between them, than Futaba, so be prepared for that. All in all, I love my 14sg.

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk
thanks for sharing your experience ,
So I have to re-setup everything just like setup a new Heli correct ?
I am flying My Protos with the DX7 now
John.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

No problem. Yes, the controls are completely different, so you are going to want to go thru setup all over again.

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk
TRex700MRX likes this.
9K4O
Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=Costas;5169253

Also Spektrum have their Throttle channel on Ch1 and Elevator on Ch3. Futaba default is Throttle on Ch3 and Elevator on Ch1.

hi Costas
Do I need to re- channal Throttle and Elevator ?
What Port on the IKON can I plug the S-bus wire into ? Sat Port ?
ESC wire still go to IKON correct ?
john.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

just find out S-bus wire need to go to : Ch3/ s-rec on Ikon
Old 10-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

i'm trying to get a 14sg this winter. been wanting one but held off because of the bnf planes but I'm ready to upgrade and the one sbus set up seems better than 2 sats and the weak wires for them and my dx8 gimbals are starting to wander off zero a little. hopefully the learning curve won't be too bad as this would be my first futaba radio since my old am car radio.
shein95 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good choice shein95. You will love it. It does take a little getting used to the change, but it doesn't take long. You will be fine.
If your interested in buying used, I may be selling mine. Lol. No worries about your decision, I'm only selling because I want to try the Jeti radio, and no other reason. Still not sure if I'm ready to fork over that extra dough for the jeti, so I'm not for sure selling yet. But if your interested, let me know.

Posted using Tapatalk
Team HD Cell
9K4O
Old 10-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

will do, i'm hoping to plant the bug in my families ear to get for a xmas gift. shall see how much they really love me
shein95 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Considering the 14sg need help with getting started

Good luck! For me Christmas is the wrong time to hope for a big gift. Lol. We have 4 kids, so at Christmas time I end up on the short end of the stick. Lol

Posted using Tapatalk
Team HD Cell
9K4O
Old 01-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is Futaba coming with a followup to the 14sg soon, i think itīs very strange that the radio dont have a internal speaker for timers and telemetry, who the hell use earplug when flying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in