Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 500/570

SAB Goblin 500/570 SAB Heli Division - Goblin 500/570 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

With a 130 edge you will be able to run a wide variety of options without maxing the esc. You will be very pleased. On a 130 you can max pwm and take way more heat out of motor. Max out timing. Run higher gov gains. And run more HS overhead.
Good luck and if ya need any setup help with the castles in the gobblers, I'm pretty familiar.
Cheers
audacity is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks! I may be taking you up on that.
Toolman Joe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2016, 01:33 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Using the 130 lite with the 20amp pro bec along the back bottom of the heli has been flawless, hard 3D at 2500 and the only thing hot is the motor really.

It keeps the weight down and really has been perfect in my last 60 or so flights.
Mikado Logo 700/Synergy 516\Vbar Vcontrol Touch/Neo/RCHN #612 IRCHA#5289
Iskareot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
With a 130 edge you will be able to run a wide variety of options without maxing the esc. You will be very pleased. On a 130 you can max pwm and take way more heat out of motor. Max out timing. Run higher gov gains. And run more HS overhead.
Good luck and if ya need any setup help with the castles in the gobblers, I'm pretty familiar.
Cheers
Are you using an Edge 130 or Edge Lite 130? The Edge 130 will definitely NOT fit into the Goblin 500 without modification. I had to cut the tabs off and also remove the rear plastic cover and it was still a bitch to fit into the ESC tray. I had to tie it down real tight to get it low enough to clear the battery tray. But, it runs great and much cooler then the Talon 90 was.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by akamullen View Post

If your using 520ish size blades (especially EDGE/RJX as they are not the most efficient blade, so they work the ESC/motor/batts harder), I would not use anything more than a 16T pinion and 2400RPM max, or the talon 90 will not like it.
Scorpion 4020-1100, talon 90 + CC bec pro,20T, 2400HS, 550 zeals... ended up flying nicely but got hot enough to find 2 tiny solder drops inside the cano from either the battery or the ESC connection

I've grounded her for the moment.

Presently I'm running 8* of timing in the talon, if I were to back down to a 18T pinion and lower the timing to 6* would you think it safe to fly or having done the stretch should I now be looking at a bigger ESC?

I also have a quantum 4120s-1100 on standby if that would be a better fit?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

drop your pinion/pulley. 20 is ridiculous!
Or take it a step further and check all your solder joints.
slikwrik is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm definitely willing to try lower but honestly I was planning to go up 2 teeth as it seems like I'm not even hitting the lowest speed shown in the manual of 2600?

Flying with heavier packs 4100 and 4500mah, the 20t seemed about right vs. the 18t but I was curious to compare higher since I've already seen how 18t behaves.

Using the talon gov set rpms, below are the resulting HS and throttle percentages to get there):

18T - 9.18:1 = 1800 (75%) / 2050 (86%) / 2200 (92%)
20T - 8.26:1 = 2100 (79%) / 2300 (86%) / 2500 (94%)

Should I just abandon the gov and run set end points with the stretch to help avoid overheating the talon?

Would swapping over to the quantum help the esc at all? I've never flown this motor but scorpions are usually on the hotter side no?

-lower timing & lower pinion are for sure getting done, but would the other options help at all too?

thanks in advance!!
Old 06-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

a higher pulley T count will mean higher headspeed thus higher load/heat on your motor and esc.

Dropping pulley count is better for lower heat & lower headspeed.

If you're trying for 2600 HS, use 17 - 18t in my opinion.

Last edited by slikwrik; 06-08-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Old 06-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

20T pinion is fine with that motor/ESC combination. See page 19 of the manual. It's what they recommend. You shouldn't go below 80% though. With your setup, I'd try 2200 / 2300 / 2500.

He won't be able to reach 2600 with an 18T pulley in governor mode.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikwrik View Post
a higher pulley T count will mean higher headspeed thus higher load/head on your motor and esc.

Dropping pulley count is better for lower heat & lower headspeed.

If you're trying for 2600 HS, use 17 - 18t in my opinion.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Joe

18t didn't feel right but it was cooler.

It seems my pwn was 12 which I changed to 8 and my timing was medium(5) which I changed to low (0).

I'm hoping these changes will give the ESC and batteries an easier time dealing with the stretched 550 blades but if not I think I'd put a hw120 in before going down in pinions!

Cheers!
Old 06-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman Joe View Post
20T pinion is fine with that motor/ESC combination. See page 19 of the manual. It's what they recommend. You shouldn't go below 80% though. With your setup, I'd try 2200 / 2300 / 2500.

He won't be able to reach 2600 with an 18T pulley in governor mode.

Joe
I re-read and saw the motor type. I was thinking it was the standard quantum 4120 - 1200kv.
In this case though I agree with you, ignore what I said when pertaining to this motor
Oops!
Old 06-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

No worries Slikwrik!

Happy landings!
Old 06-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

A few other things Scream. Be sure the ESC is mounted heatsink down and I'd also recommend enlarging the opening in the canopy to allow more airflow. See photo.

My Talon 90 overheated and the next time I flew it the BEC gave out as it was spooling up. I'm glad that happened on the ground. :-)

I've since installed an Edge 130 but I'm running the 4020-1350, which is a higher current motor.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream View Post
Thanks Joe

18t didn't feel right but it was cooler.

It seems my pwn was 12 which I changed to 8 and my timing was medium(5) which I changed to low (0).

I'm hoping these changes will give the ESC and batteries an easier time dealing with the stretched 550 blades but if not I think I'd put a hw120 in before going down in pinions!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160522_111538 (1).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	656308  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in