Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Foamies and Park Flyers

Foamies and Park Flyers 3D Foamies and Park Flyers are an EXCELLENT way to improve your reflexes and stick finesse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default ParkZone Sport Cub

My buddy got the new ParkZone Sport Cub yesterday. Seems like a great plane for the money if you are looking for a good 4 channel cruiser.

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

did you guys also take-off or land on rougher surfaces like grass or gravel?
and if yes - how do the tundra tyres perform?
ordered one, too, can't wait ... thanks.
helifeller is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Congrats on the new plane, I think it is an excellent choice for that price range. It flew very well right out of the box. We have only flown off concrete so far, but we will be flying it some more this weekend. Tomorrow there is no concrete to land/take off from so my buddy will get some experience taking off and landing the Sport Cub in gravel and/or grass. I will let you know if there are any issues.

I have a HobbyZone Super Cub that is close to the same size. The wheels I am using are a bit smaller than the Sport Cub but it still takes off and lands fine in rough gravel and short grass. The Sport Cub is similar in size but has much more power and much nicer wheels so I assume it will do better.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got one. I really like it. It is fun to do "touch and goes".
Dx6i
GLHS592 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Sport Cub did fine today in the grass

Old 06-02-2014, 02:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

thank you very much, Funky for reporting back reg. Sport Cub grass landings.
great vids and a very skillfull pilot.
helifeller is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

[ame]http://youtu.be/7MsqJ_8Tauw[/ame]
Dx6i
GLHS592 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are you all flying the bnf or pnp

Slow & Steady!
nmdesertracer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default A little help please?

Ok I picked up a sport cub, and, had a couple nice flights, but on the third, I nosed in hard. This is only my second plane, I learned on a Harbor Freight P51 - yes, very difficult, but I could fly it. After many hours of sim time I decided to pick up the new sport cub.

On impact I broke the cowl, spinner, and prop, and the entire front broke off. I'm new to repairing planes - but successfully repaired the foam with some epoxy, and Im in the process of getting some new parts.

Couple questions though, When the motor is mounted, it is angled downward, the motor mount is not broken or smashed, and I believe it is supposed to be angled a bit down and to one side for torque roll, can someone confirm this? I can post pics if needed.

Also, what the manual calls the collet (for the prop), I cannot find online - I can only find the prop adapter - not sure if its the same part or not, but the collet is not listed in the parts section at all, and there are no pics on horizons web site for these parts yet. I am a bit worried this part has a very very slight bend. I spun the motor up without the prop and watched for a wobble, but if it is bent - its very slight, Id rather replace it than worry about vibes.

Thanks for helping out a new guy.

I must say, after crashing it, I'm not nervous to fly it anymore, as its easily repairable!
Old 06-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also bought a cub sport and when landing coming towards me I ziged instead of zagged and nose dived it. I broke the cowling away from the rest of the fuselage away, but not completely. I am going to glue it back and duct tape over it for some extra strength. Hopefully it does not change the flight dynamics much? I have hit trees one other time with it and it had virtually no visible damage. The landing gear covers will be gone soon as that plastic just wasn't meant for grass t/o's and landings.
Zink273 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknaub View Post
Ok I picked up a sport cub, and, had a couple nice flights, but on the third, I nosed in hard. This is only my second plane, I learned on a Harbor Freight P51 - yes, very difficult, but I could fly it. After many hours of sim time I decided to pick up the new sport cub.

On impact I broke the cowl, spinner, and prop, and the entire front broke off. I'm new to repairing planes - but successfully repaired the foam with some epoxy, and Im in the process of getting some new parts.

Couple questions though, When the motor is mounted, it is angled downward, the motor mount is not broken or smashed, and I believe it is supposed to be angled a bit down and to one side for torque roll, can someone confirm this? I can post pics if needed.

Also, what the manual calls the collet (for the prop), I cannot find online - I can only find the prop adapter - not sure if its the same part or not, but the collet is not listed in the parts section at all, and there are no pics on horizons web site for these parts yet. I am a bit worried this part has a very very slight bend. I spun the motor up without the prop and watched for a wobble, but if it is bent - its very slight, Id rather replace it than worry about vibes.

Thanks for helping out a new guy.

I must say, after crashing it, I'm not nervous to fly it anymore, as its easily repairable!
The Sport Cub in my vids belongs to a friend and I haven't seen him since the last vid I posted. I am not very knowledgeable about plane specifics, I started with RC helis and fly them primarily. I only own a few planes and fly them occasionally when the helis have me frustrated. I have a Super Cub from parkzone and the motor is angled a bit down and to the right. I am not sure what a collet is, but if it is attached to the prop and looks bent, I would replace it before flying again. Do you have a picture of the part? It doesn't take much to cause vibrations in the prop and sometimes they are hard to see in flight since the plane always moves forward (unlike a heli that will shake in every direction when something is off).

Last edited by Funky; 07-01-2014 at 04:50 PM..
Funky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The motor should be angled slightly down and to the right, or just down. Get an APC 9x6E prop. I can't remember if I needed to bore the prop for proper fitment or not. And I can't currently check because mine is ~ 45' up a tree. It was a really good plane. Good enough that if I don't get it back I'll save up for another one. After all, I have these unused floats hanging on my wall. Just don't try any barrel rolls in 20 mph winds with it
Slack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 'collet' is the prop adapter. Got it out for another flight today, with newly installed flaps. Holy cow I gotta learn how to use flaps. After take off it went almost straight up and nearly stalled. Was a little windy for my liking, but I managed to get a couple circuits in and landed, a bit hard. One of the plastic wheel pants that I glued back together broke off on the landing, so I'm just gonna take em both off. Maybe I'll get her up again tomorrow if there is 0 mph wind. Just not confident enough yet - had a couple close calls today but managed to recover. Liking this plane a lot, can't wait till the skills improve.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknaub View Post
The 'collet' is the prop adapter. Got it out for another flight today, with newly installed flaps. Holy cow I gotta learn how to use flaps. After take off it went almost straight up and nearly stalled. Was a little windy for my liking, but I managed to get a couple circuits in and landed, a bit hard. One of the plastic wheel pants that I glued back together broke off on the landing, so I'm just gonna take em both off. Maybe I'll get her up again tomorrow if there is 0 mph wind. Just not confident enough yet - had a couple close calls today but managed to recover. Liking this plane a lot, can't wait till the skills improve.

You need to program in down elevator with the flaps. The manual suggests starting at 30%. Where I had mine adjusted 38% was perfect. If you have multiple flap settings then you will need to tinker with each one individually.
Slack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks! I'll take another look at the manual and see if I can figure out how to do this on my dx8.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sport Cub is great for the money.. pretty powerful.. cheap to fix.. flys great
CT411 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2014, 02:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys!

This is the complete unboxing, build, maiden flight, and review with bonus flight footage for the Parkzone Sport Cub S2 Parkflyer, which was modeled after the Cub Crafters Sport Cub.

I really like how this plane looks and how it flys. That made the issues I encountered during the build process not as big of a deal

Here are my flight review notes:

Cons:
- Landing gear wire is thin and LG install was a pain.
- Rudder was way out of trim and doesn't steer well in grass.
- The tail section is also difficult to install.
- The main LG wheel collar screw popped out during landing.

Pros:
- Looks great and is a great flyer.
- Nice big forgiving tundra tires.
- Lands really slow even without flaps.
- Large battery bay for flexible battery options.

The bottom line is this is a fun and easy to fly plane that you should buy if you are considering it.

Here is just the maiden flight only footage:

Here is just the unboxing and build video:

Last edited by GBLynden; 12-23-2014 at 12:53 AM..
GBLynden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Great Back yard Plane

I've had my S.C for a couple of weeks now . Once I got set up ;mechanically trimmed that is , this bird flies great ! Sporty enough to have a blast with and you can slow it down and get into some scale like Alaskan short runway landings and some incredible short take offs . I'm using my Taranis X9D and using the Orange module with a customized antenna mount. The 3 position switches really come in handy with a plane like this . Using the optional flaps really makes this bird shine. I just dialed in a little down elevator that mixes in when I flip into both flap modes. 50% & full. That will keep the balooning under controI so there wont be any need to lean foward on the elevator when you drop the flaps. I can't wait to fine tune that feature and finish tweaking the rest of my throws. This plane is a appsolute blast to fly and for $200.00 I think its a great buy. I may just have to buy another and swap out the power system just for the fun of it.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

This was a very fun video to make featuring my Sport Cub on a day with very choppy air and I did it with my flying buddies John and Shawn. The cub handled the wind as well as any plane we flew yesterday. Not only that, there are a few things that you wouldn't expect to find in an RC Plane video in here, so be sure to watch the entire video to get the full experience. That is unless you don't like Hot Rods or appreciate the USA's National Symbol.

GBLynden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
HF Support

I got one of these a few months ago to use as a float plane on a camping trip. I didn't think I'd ever use it for much more than that, but I've found myself bringing it with me to the club on most outings now because it's just so relaxing to fly and I can get about 8 minutes with 3S 2600mAh packs. I ended up putting a 30A ESC (from an old PZ Extra 300) and larger prop on it for a little more power, but that's the only thing I'm planning to upgrade on it. Some of the other guys at the field figured out if you fashion some braces going back from the landing gear to the rear mount for the floats it helps it not to bounce so much on pavement. I always just land mine in the grass. Anyways, just thought I'd share. I love flying my helis hard, but it's also fun to kick back and relax with this little guy too.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in