Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 500L dominator crash costs

Hey guys,

I'm looking to step up to a larger heli.
I really like the Gaui X3,but doing the math by the time I figure decent components from a reputable online retailer It's coming to near $700.
I see the 500L super combo goes for around $650ish.

Would it be a bad idea to skip over a 450 class heli and go straight to a 500? I currently fly a Mcpx Bl,I have all my upright orentations down pat and can fly basic figure 8 circuits, and I'm starting to try inverted hovering and flips and rolls on the sim.

Crash costs and maintenance costs I know are a big factor in this hobby.
If you dont mind me asking, what would you say is a rough estimate of repairing a 500 class heli versus a 450 class?

Most of the heli guys at the local club I would join fly Align helis, so thats another reason I'm considering the 500L.

Thanks,
Coon
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

start knocking on some doors and buy a used align 450 from one of the guys in the club
Kap'n Krunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My votes for 500L - only the blades cost little more - everything is cheaper cause its stronger and lasts longer.....much, much easier to work on......
Old 07-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

A 450 is a typical progression, but I think the 500 are easier to fly than a 450. Not that much more to fix.
rstekeur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't forget about these:
1. Lipos 6s(...don't even waste time splicing two 3s...for all 6 cell with matching resistance?..never happen). They cost about 3x cost a $20 450 lipo(3s2200mah). You need 4 lipo's to maximize flight times. 4 x 60$ = $240
2.) Upgrade your charger to handle 6s. $75
3.) Power supply should be over 100 watts. $50

So, that's approx $350 for the power system.
Crash cost is about 2x vs 450. (blade, tail blade, main gear, tail boom, torque tube, tail blade shaft, landing skids....about $100.

Crash frequency? Depends on your style, but in my experience and watching others. If you fly about 2-3 a week. You may crash every 2-4 weeks. So within a full year expect about 15 crash repairs. Thus 15 x $100 = $1500 per year crash cost. I know most people "don't want" to even think about it...but since you are doing the math? Can you afford it? Now, looking back at a 450 with about $50 crash cost x 15 crashes a year = $750.

My calculation might seem on the high side, but even if you were careful 10 crashes a year. trex 500:10 x 100 = $1000 vs. trex 450: 10 x 50 = $500.

Ofcourse, I'm not even including broken servo's or worn motors or escs... Just gotta remember it's not the upfront kit/radio cost. This hobby is the one that keeps on spending.
Good luck...T
slamdance is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just bought an X3, but I haven't built it yet, so no first hand experience. But from everything I've read on the forums, it crashes like a tank! I'd say that $50 for a crash is on the high side (Average crash cost - you can certainly have a more expensive crash.) Meanwhile, I'd say that $100 is actually on the low side for a 500 crash. If crash costs are your determining factor, then I would recommend the X3. However, I guarantee that you're going to be happy with whichever heli you pick!
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 500L is much better than the 450L. But as a beginner I would go for the trex450 plus dfc, everything pre assembled.

The trex450 plus dfc is a solid bird and quite easy to fly.

sven
lahannsven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My X3 crashes pretty well; main cost is the blades (using servo saver arms). So how cheap can you get blades? HobbyKing has reasonable 325mm blades for about £4 but 360mm blades are more like £15-20 normally... perhaps okay blades can be had for less. Both sizes work but obviously it flies nicer with the larger blades.

The landing gear does break a lot though; just ordered some of these which I hear are better: http://www.oomodel.com/devil-450-sdc...5-p-66174.html
cycled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was in your position flying on sim i was capable of doing eights and hovering and flying inverted and decided to buy a nano cpx but it burned the tail motor after a week or two. Then i bought a 500 used heli.

My recommendation got to a big place for flying i mean a big place. The 500 has lots of power nothing like the nano that you can bang the sticks. This thing reacts to any inputs you can dialed down but it has lot of power and coming from nano its a big change. Also the noise is very intimidating. In my first flight my fingers start to shake in mid air a good thing is that they can handle winds very well.

I will just skip the 450 size and go for 500 its easy to see it in the air im a little blind . Also i believe it can handle winds better than the 450.

If going for the 500L check were to get replacement parts i didn't see any in amain or experience rc. The 500 pro is kind of the same price if replacement parts are an issue. Also i think in some places you can get it without the gpro. i was having some issues with it. In the air field every one recommend me to go with spartan, vbar or ikon on my next heli.

Im not an expert just a beginner sharing my experience.

8 flights on the 500 no crash at the moment "knock on wood" just go slowly. when you master something in the sim and you feel you can do it try it in the mcpx if you get it the do it in the 500. Just proceed slowly.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can live with the crash costs I'd rather fly my 500 pro over the 450. It seems a lot more stable and much easier to see. One down side is if your learning and your heli is headed towards you or someone else, you would be wishing it was a mcpx instead of a 500. But I do find the 500 a lot more fun to fly
rstekeur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2015, 01:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The X3 is a great heli. You can build it for a whole range of prices.

Low end: $20 motor (6s, 1700kv), $15 esc (will want soft start) 4x $5 metal gear digital servos, and an fbl controller like say Tarot zyx at $40.

High end: Scorpion motor and esc, BK 0.5 sec servos, vbar.

Even look around hobbyking and get nearly the same performance from their high end Turnigy and Rotorstar stuff for about 1/3 the price.
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you buy expensive stuff, you aren't just buying performance. You're buying quality. Having a heli fall out of the sky because one of your $5 electronics failed is no fun.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

How are the stock electronics that come with the 500L super combo?
I don't need top of the line but I don't want total junk either.

For the x3 I figured the Align 460mx motor and KTS 215's for cyclic and tail. and the hobbywing 50A ESC.
Haven't decided on a FBL system yet. Estimated about $200 in my budget for a FBL system. This I might consider purchasing used.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The stock electronics will work just fine. The Align ESC has a crappy governor, but if you get a FBL with an external governor, the. It's not really an issue. Just get an rpm sensor.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check this eBay user for align parts you guys can save a lot of money in case of crash

http://www.ebay.com/usr/americanbuyandgift
fean07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in