Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Help/Guide to combining XP-7A ESC and brushless converter?

Just purchased HP05S motor from Hawk RC, but they're out of ESCs. Anybody have a guide or how-to on combining the Oversky XP-7A ESC and Brushless Converter before I pull the trigger? I also noticed Chinese-Jade has XP-7A ESCs but it states they are for the HP06 motors? Gracias
jmcdonald is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdonald View Post
Just purchased HP05S motor from Hawk RC, but they're out of ESCs. Anybody have a guide or how-to on combining the Oversky XP-7A ESC and Brushless Converter before I pull the trigger? I also noticed Chinese-Jade has XP-7A ESCs but it states they are for the HP06 motors? Gracias
I had the xp-7a esc and the hp05s motor combo. A lot of people use this combo and I assume with good luck. I had problems getting it to spool up consistently. I switched out to the helimax 10 amp esc which works a lot better. I have seen a couple other people do the same. So my recommendation is to get the helimax esc over the xp-7a

As far as the Steve's, it's prett easy. (This is what worked best for me) the white wire goes to the esc's white wire or remove the white wire from the esc board and direct solder the white wire from the Steve's to the board in place I the esc's white wire. I don't recommend powering the Steve's from the esc. It works better to get the power from the 3@1 board. The yellow wire from the Steve's needs to be connected to the 10k resister on the back side of the board to get the best throttle response. sorry I don't have time to post pics of exact solder points but I hope I helped some at least.
Goatkeeper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Goatkeeper, definitely helps.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the Helimax ESC's white wire not needed? And anybody know the weight difference between the Helimax 10A ESC and the XP-7A?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdonald View Post
Is the Helimax ESC's white wire not needed? And anybody know the weight difference between the Helimax 10A ESC and the XP-7A?
The esc has a 3 wire set (white=signal, the other 2 are power) with a plug to go into a standard receiver. The white wire on the esc is needed. It caries the signal from the receiver to the esc to change the motor speed. But sense you don't need the plug for a standard receiver you can desolder the 3 receiver wires from the esc and solder the white wire from the Steve's directly to where the existing white wire is on the esc. This will cut out a lot of unnecessary plugs and wiring. You can just solder the Steve's white to the esc's white. You'll just end up with extra wire to stash if you want a clean setup. Here is a pic to explain where, IMO,the best place to solder the red and blue wire aka the wires that power the Steve's.

As far as the weight diff. I don't know the actual weight of each but there is very little size difference.

I'm not the best at explaining my self with text but if you need more info just fire away. There are a lot of smart people on this forum that have an amazing amount of knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320884431.268879.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	265800  
Old 11-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is another pic of how I have the helimax esc wired.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWZB3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320886436.047760.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	265801  
Old 11-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I stole this pic from liftbag. But this is were I soldered the yellow wire from the Steve's. This will give you the best throttle response. I had it on the motor plug for a while, but the throttle basically didn't work. It was, for the most part on or off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320888175.268611.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	265807  
Old 11-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks a lot for the guidance/pictures Goatkeeper. Are the directions the same when using the XP7 esc? Without thinking what you said about the Helimax being an improvement over the XP7, I purchased the XP7 esc from astroid designs and the steve converter straight from his site. I think because I was at work and in a hurry and read somewhere that the helimax isn't programmable and i'm already familiar with programming the xp7 with my c05 motor. Do you think I should send it back when I get it and get the Helimax esc. I see they are half the price...
Old 11-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I couldn't get the xp-7a to work consistently. Some times I would have to unplug the batt 2 or 3 times to get it to spool up. I've read that you can adjust the throttle curve in your transmitter so that it starts at 20% at low stick. I had the helimax esc already, so when the xp-7a kept giving me grief I switched them out. The helimax works perfect. But a lot of people are using the xp-7a and not complaining about it, so it may be an isolated occurrence. I really wanted the xp-7a to work. I like to be able to program my esc's. But I can actually count the blade rotation with the helimax as I spool up, useing the stick for slow starts. These are just my opinions and experiences with these esc's. So I can't say the xp-7a is junk and send it back because it may work fine for you. If you told me you ordered xtreme carbon fiber blades I would tell you to run like heck, as far and fast as you can. They are complete junk.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks. For some reason I have also heard people are getting more power with the Helimax ESC. I ordered both just in case. Dylan at Astroid Designs said he would program it for higher startup power to help the spool-up problem. He said tons of people are using it without problems. I may eventually switch it out if the Helimax does actually provide more speed/power, but the C05 is a pretty decent upgrade from stock already.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

XP-7a is a far nicer esc than the WK 10a. It is slightly lighter (stripped board only). Throttle resolution is better, response is faster, it starts more motors etc. The WK is only the better option when you need greater than 9A peak current.

Programming start timing can help start tricky motors. Programming start throttle percent only matches the main motor start up with the tail so the heli doesn't rotate...does nothing for start ability just changes the throttle "output" so the esc thinks you're asking for more for a given stick input in normal mode near the bottom.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
XP-7a is a far nicer esc than the WK 10a. It is slightly lighter (stripped board only). Throttle resolution is better, response is faster, it starts more motors etc. The WK is only the better option when you need greater than 9A peak current.

Programming start timing can help start tricky motors. Programming start throttle percent only matches the main motor start up with the tail so the heli doesn't rotate...does nothing for start ability just changes the throttle "output" so the esc thinks you're asking for more for a given stick input in normal mode near the bottom.

Amp
I had issues with the xp7a but when I changed over to the 10 amp everything was good.

Here is what I wrote on it.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=342555

Be blessed
Isaac

Sent from my DROIDX

Last edited by tntburnett; 11-12-2011 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: add link
tntburnett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in