Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System

Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System Thunder Tiger GT5 Flybarless Electronics

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gwright
  • 1 Post By Bladecpnitro
  • 1 Post By The_crack_fox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 06:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Any Ace GT 5.2 Users here?

I can find almost no one with this gyro, only a couple of YouTube's but nothing else. Very little info or following is out on this gyro. What is the deal? Jr Yung Ju has no new vids using the gyro.

I like these gyros because you don't have to have a PC to program it just like the BeastX but you can if you just happen to be near a PC. LOL!

Do any of you actually have the GT 5.2 and like it over the older versions. I'd like to hear from some folks who have actually flown the unit.

I don't really care for bail out or gov in my FBL gyro. I could see gov being nice for Nitro but for electric it can easily be incorporated into the ESC which you already have to have anyway so no biggy.
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

These must be the most unpopular FBL gyro's out there, even beneath the Robird.

The reason I asked for a comparison between the old and new 5.2 is because pitch stops and starts don't seem to be completely smooth with the 5.1 all of the time. Higher head speed definitely helps that but still now and then I see a little bit of reluctance to stop or start pitch moves smoothly and on time with consistency . Also I notice it coming out of piro flips.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Currently have 5 machines flying,.. a GT5.2, two GT5.1's with updated firmware, and two CGY750's. The .2 versus the .1 and the original GT5 are pretty close, just far easier to tune with the newer menu's, and especially the cable and software. Can do a complete setup from scratch in 10~15 minutes using the cable. If all the links were correct length on the heli that would be about 5 minutes <G>.
DOUAUD likes this.

Champaign Il
Helifreak user # 7001
gwright is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Gary, hearing you talk about low headspeed idle ups I thouth Id try it with program mixes set to reduce IU 1 on my 450 and Trex 550 to 75% throttle. I kind of like having that 3rd option. Nice smooth and tranquil.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Any Ace GT 5.2 Users here?

Like you I've found almost no one else with one if these. I have a GT5 (original) that I inherited with a Trex 450 pro I bought secondhand. I'd buy another one tomorrow though, I found it easy to set up even though I'm still tinkering with the tuning (my choice, J don't need to).
Just missed out on a NIB GT5.2 for $70 too.
Can I upgrade the firmware on my 5.0 to a higher spec?

Citizen #186
mr_squiggle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can upgrade the GT 5. It wont have the faster sensors the 5.2 has but will have the new setup menus.

You have to get the USB interface from towerhobbies.com or the Spartan USB works I believe.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just found this youtube vid. It gives a nice look at the software. He uses a Taranis 9 Channel as well. That will be my next TX.

This one shows some of the setup.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive just bought the gt5 dongle, followed the instructions and forums on here but am unable to get my gt5 to talk to the computer. I keep getting the message failed to transfer data.

I also noticed in the video the gt5 go's into a data screen which my gt5 does not.

I have tried various start up methods and removed and rebooted all the software all to no avail. does this sound like a dongle or gt5 issue?

my gt5 is one of the original ones, will this be an issue? I did read some where that this dongle should work with all gt5's

any help would be greatly appreciated
nightrider is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
Ive just bought the gt5 dongle, followed the instructions and forums on here but am unable to get my gt5 to talk to the computer. I keep getting the message failed to transfer data.

I also noticed in the video the gt5 go's into a data screen which my gt5 does not.

I have tried various start up methods and removed and rebooted all the software all to no avail. does this sound like a dongle or gt5 issue?

my gt5 is one of the original ones, will this be an issue? I did read some where that this dongle should work with all gt5's

any help would be greatly appreciated
Did you eventually get this sorted fella?
maddog7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwright View Post
Currently have 5 machines flying,.. a GT5.2, two GT5.1's with updated firmware, and two CGY750's. The .2 versus the .1 and the original GT5 are pretty close, just far easier to tune with the newer menu's, and especially the cable and software. Can do a complete setup from scratch in 10~15 minutes using the cable. If all the links were correct length on the heli that would be about 5 minutes <G>.
Hey there,
Are you the fella that produced the (excellent) guide for tuning the original FW GT5?

I've read that guide and (think ) I've absorbed some of the principles of it but I'd like to ask you if you have any advice about setup using the newer FW?

My first real experience with the GT5 has been with the new FW rather than the old and I've just set up as per manual. The heli does pretty much what it should apart from a couple of minor things, tail is a bit "quivery" at stops and, the head flys fine but I'm experimenting with feel.

Cheers
D
maddog7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 5 of these ! I love this gyro !!
paul nathalie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

They do fly extremely well though seemingly not very popular with all the bail out stuff the other's offer.
vara347 likes this.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

After flying about 6 packs through my 500 heli, I've got my first GT5.2 dialled in and I'm very impressed. It's so strange that these weren't more popular. I've been meaning to try one for years, and I'll definitely be tracking down a couple more.
vara347 likes this.
The_crack_fox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2017, 03:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm a owner of a gt5.1 on a Trex 600. I Could not be happier with the flying characteristics. I purchased this around 2013 I believe and struggle to see why they were not more popular, especially as I considered a beastx at the time, after owning a current microbeast plus for a short time, so glad the Ace was chosen. I don't mind the set up its kind of cool actually. The paper guide or pdf is only needed if you haven't touched it for a while. I think the negative at the time was people didn't like them on small models due to access being required all around.
I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to 5.2 but will I achieve much especially after buying a dongle?
Goblin 630 Comp,Ikon2 HD. Trex600 DFC,Ace Gt5.1, FBL Head.Trex 500L Dominator,Demon3sx. Goblin 380 Ikon2.Trex 470L,Brain2. Align 600 flybarred(Olds Cool).180 CFX trio soon to be ubrain2? Spektrum DX9, Dx7s. FPV drones. Vintage Tamiya collection.
vara347 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I read somewhere that rotation rates are faster with 5.2. Not sure though.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

You don't have to use TT dongle, any USB serial com port adapter should work. I posted pics of mine in another thread.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think they weren't popular due to the difficulty in tuning/setup compared to what's on the market. In terms of performance I think they were relatively fine.
TheKingPhisher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once you learned the GT5 or 5.1 versions you didn't need the manual much unless you forgot exactly what one parameter did. Otherwise you could scroll through pages of every function and make adjustments with ease.

I have never been able to setup a Microbeast without grabbing the manual. I remember some of the functions but I can't take a chance on setting up a parameter wrong by memory.

The reason I quit using them and switched to Microbeast was that everyone I've ever had would boot sometimes with a blanked out or fuzzy screen or occasionally some type of error message.

It would still fly with a blanked out screen and it might be back to normal next round but the error message required rebooting until it booted without it. I have taken it back inside and it boot fine and take it right back out and fly my 5 packs.

I did put thousands of flights in with the GT FBL units though and hated to let them go. I had the GT 5 and 5.1 and flew them both until they wouldn't fly anymore.

If they continue to improve them I might grab up another one one day. You never know technology is always improving. I never could seem to make the throttle port control an ESC, I always had to use an RX. I still do that with the iKON as well because I don't like the way it functions with the Castle ESC's. I happen to like the Castles Gov function and don't want to run a gov lead and sensor for FBL gov.

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 09-10-2017 at 08:40 PM..
Bladecpnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default GT5.2 on a Trex 450 pro

I want to mount the GT5.2 on my 450. Can someone post a set of starting settings I can use to initially get going? I assume the default settings for the Raptor E550 need to be changed.
JerseySgt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in