Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate

Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Compass Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Battery and ESC connectors

Sorry if this is a redundant post. As always I spend time first searching on Helifreak and through Google.

Can I use Deans as battery and ESC connectors? Progressive RC says Deans are rated up to 70-80 amps but I've seen a number of 6HV pics in the Photos and Video section using EC5's all around or at least at the ESC end.

I really don't mind using Deans if they'll do the job and I'm using the HW 70HV with spark arrestor so that doesn't bother me either.

Also, I already have everything ordered for my build (or so I think) and my LHS doesn't carry EC5 connectors (which I find a bit odd and ridiculous) which means I'll have to order those too.

Obviously not the end of the world but I simply wanted to know.

GAUI X3 6S, Xnova 1860, HW 50A V3, MKS DS95, 8910A+, BeastX, Belted Tail.
isogloss3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes you can. I am a BIG fan I'd EC5's tho. They can handle more current and are a breeze to solder. I would recommend the ones from E-flite.
kw_rc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

They'll do the job. They are losing some favor with those running really high power systems. Several here seemed to have switched to EC5's because they are rated a lot higher.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

If you can solder a Deans successfully, you'll be able to solder EC5s in your sleep.

I swear by EC5s. I literally swear at Deans because I can never get them soldered quite the way that I want them.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't like Deans.. They are difficult to solder, PITA to connect/disconnect and has lower current capacity. Its contact surface is only about 33mm^2.

EC5 is a breeze do solder, really easy do connect/disconnect and has a contact surface of about 80mm^2. The more the contact surface, the less losses you have and less heat.

I see no reason to use Deans.

Alex.
SkyRaptor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

EC5
very cheap from hobbyking
Old 02-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went with ec5 after the freaks advise. Glad I did. No more deans for me, well have onefor rx pack.
funkindatrunk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks guys, went with EC5's. Horizon Hobby for the first batch just to get the Y harness and first set of packs ready.

Just a thought (especially for people already using a separate receiver pack) - why do people (when using a 2-pack series setup) start by putting a single male connector (let's use EC5 for this example) on the ESC, only to have to use yet another connector (female) on the one side of the Y harness?

Why wouldn't you simply wire two male EC5 connectors in series directly to the ESC input wires?

Sorry for the newb questions.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by isogloss3d View Post
Why wouldn't you simply wire two male EC5 connectors in series directly to the ESC input wires?

Sorry for the newb questions.
Some people do wire it that way. It all depends on what suits your taste and component configuration.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I love my EC5s, but a warning about EC5s from "foreign" parts. I got a big bunch from them but the plastic piece was not made correctly and couldn't be used. After some frustration, I realized the problem (but cussing was involved ).

They were good about giving me a refund, but now I only order form well known sites to avoid the cheap knock-offs.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The one comment I'd like to add, however, is to beware of the differences in the various brand EC5's. I've wound up with two kinds by purchasing a bunch from HK when I was setting up, and some Eflite ones when I needed a few, and eventually some which were installed on a number of parallel adapters I purchased from a reputable supplier. The knockoff males don't fit the genuine females well at all. You could go with all Hobby King ones and probably be fine. Just buy enough of them to make sure they are ALL the same variety. You will see the difference between HK males and Eflite males very easily. The Eflite males will fit HK females, but the HK males don't fit the Eflite females very well at all. I believe whoever makes those for HK are also used by other makes of parallel adapters and other accessories.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks Rob, that's very good to know. It's finding out little stuff like that the hard way that makes me insane. I haven't really priced both yet so I just hope if I go with Horizon they don't take me to the cleaners. I ordered them by phone from my LHS and didn't even ask price. I suppose it can't be too horrible.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

FWIW, I've mixed and matched E-Flite, Losi, and HK EC5s and they all play well together for me. Any that might have been a little tight were easily remedied with some contact lubricant.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 02-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I do like that. It's a good idea avoiding extra connectors because they mean more losses.

Best Regards.

Alex.
SkyRaptor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
If running an external BEC, it's really nice to be able to run the BEC by itself for setup/troubleshooting purposes. The easiest way to do that IMO is to wire the BEC into the Y-adapter and then leave the ESC disconnected if ESC power is not needed.
Graupner MZ-32

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in