Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Goblin Fleet in Phoenix - Questions

Hi All,

I've had Phoenix since the 3 days. I never owned a Goblin until recently. (The one that got me ended up being the 630 Comp.)

First off: What sold me on the Goblin platform? Phoenix did.

My Question:
If you edit the Goblin, manipulate weights, GOV RPM, motor max rpm, and power, how close is that to real life?

Have you guys played around with a heli to simulate YOUR OWN heli? (IE: Trex 450 pro, 10/1, 3550kv motor X number of watts to Y horsepower, and actual weight of your heli?)

So far my experience has been that helis at least in Phoenix fly extremely close to their real life counterparts. (They fly like perfectly tuned versions of them, but close to the real thing.)

Just wondered how close this is to a viable way to experiment.
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2015, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Indeed. That is exactly what I did for my 5003D. I took the t-rex500 and then went through every physical parameter and matched it to the spec's of my 500 irl. I measured everything by hand, weighed it with the battery pack, blade length, cord, center of gravity, motor gearing and gov rpm's etc..

Then for the next couple months, every time Ii would come back from the field I would then fly the copy in the sim making adjustments to the sim physics like inertial settings cyclic response etc. I flew in the sim with the same radio using exactly the same settings (except sim copy has swash set to normal) so I would have continuity. As i was learning i could make a change to the radio with the sim and test it out, if i liked how it felt then I could make those changes in the "live" model for the field. It worked great for me and helped progress my knowledge of the radio and set-up of the heli. My skills progressed rather quickly according to others at the field to.

I say go for it, and see how it works for you. I would say I probably got it about 90% accurate but it was a lot of tweaking and fiddling around with it.
For the record I now am really devoted to doing my sim practice (Arch's all eights...) and then taking the sim exercises and doing them irl, using my 180. awesome stuff!

peace

Old 07-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's cool. I came up with this because of my Goblin 630... I have a 6S setup handy when I got the kit. (Was gonna be a 570 but got a steal)

Everyone seemed to say won't work, will not fly, will fly but crappy etc, so I built it out on the SIM. Most of what they said was true... 1000 rpm, won't lift off... 1400-1500 is edge of where its flyable, and the part that wasn't true, 1800 ended up being a pretty good head speed for getting used to it. Not too slow (maybe a little) but easily doable with 6S without puffing your packs. 2000 seems like a reasonable head speed for decent 6S, and that is Goblin like!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's my goal to get a Goblin 570 to 700 size. I imagine in a couple years I'll have one or two .
There are some really good deals that keep going by on the boards. When I have my skills up to snuff, and confidence throwing around my 500 then I'll be moving up.. I can;t wait.
Those big Goblins are truly a work of art, and they fly! what else could I ask for?

As far as the sim goes, there are other sims that might have better engineering type parameters but may be lacking in other areas. I notice that I see a lot of the people with more years flying heli's have a favorite but, seem to own at least a couple different sims. I guess I have phoenix cuz it's what I was first exposed to. AccuRC and RealFlight both could end up being in my collection sometime if I ever stop flying irl long enough...
I did 40 packs yesterday. getting a late start today. may only get 30 in... add that in wth 3 or 4 sessions on the sim, and I really dont want to take the time to install and set up a new sim no matter how good it might be..

Peace!
Old 07-31-2015, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep. We tend to fly many sims. I have and use:

1. FMS - free one.
2. Clear view - like $50 I think. Lifetime upgrades like Phoenix.
3. RF 5
4. RF 7
5. Aerosky ( let's you upload mp3s which is cool.)
6. Phoenix.

I like Phoenix for helis best. RF 7 is good too.
RF 5 was great for planes, sucked on helis IMO... RF 7 got better. Knife edge swap helps, but other than that I feel RF is just a money grabber.

Wish phoenix was better with planes.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sims are definitely worth it. My first plane was a Splendor. I solo'd it my first flight at the club. It was no prob after working out take off and landing in the sim with all the different weather conditions. By the time I tried my 1st flight at the field it became my check out solo. done deal.

I am still learning and by no means an expert. But by the time I try something IRL I've done it long enough in the sim that I feel ready no matter the orientation. I'm surprised how well IRL matches up, I do however still get a little case of nerves while doing something new. That's to be expected though. That's the addicting part, that rush of adrenaline.

already up to 20 packs this a.m. time for another 10.

peace
Old 08-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is working out well for me in Phoenix.

My stuff is here now so I can give a shot at building the Goblin 630 and trying it out on 6s to see if it flies close to what Phoenix says it will.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Be sure to post with the results and maybe you'll have a new model for eveyyone too!

I got in 3 three sim sessions today and 30 packs through the 180. a good day indeeeed.

It really get's interesting when that line between sim and real life gets blurred. I made good progress on some stuff I had only tried in the sim until today. Unfortunately when the heli "bumps" into ground in the sim it resets and outside today I had this brief moment where I was almost waiting for it to move to the middle of the lawn. no worries, reset servo arms and off it goes for more flying...

Peace!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in