Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Contest Flying

Contest Flying Contest Flying F3C/AMA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2006, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Explanations of different categories

Anyone care to give an in-depth description/definition of the different types of contest flying?

Bringing people out of Radio Shack and into the hobby.

μολὼν λαβέ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ClayK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2006, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

F3C is the designation given to RC Helicopters by FAI organization. Same maneuvers are flown all the world by pilots that compete in this catergory.

http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/f3c/

http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/documents/sc4

Scroll down to RC Helicopters and you can download the F3C rules and maneuvers from the above link.

AMA contest flying for Helicopters. Has three classes ( levels) . Starting at Class I , then Class II, then Class III.
You can see about the above here
http://www.modelaircraft.org/comp/05...ok/rc-heli.pdf

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Purrfect. Thanks David.

Bringing people out of Radio Shack and into the hobby.

μολὼν λαβέ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ClayK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2006, 04:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
GM1
Registered Users

My HF Map location

2007 has all new AMA Class 1,2,3 schedules. The guys that have read the proposal seem to like them. Class 1 now has flying maneuvers in it. I think the proposed schedules were posted on the AMA site.
Gordie
Old 07-03-2006, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yup, and I get to start practicing for them in a couple weeks

See you in Muncie!

Erich
ErichF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2006, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally found the new schedule on the AMA site. Man class I is MUCH harder than it used to be? Why the change? Too many people skipping it and going straight to class II?

I had planned on flying class I next year with a 50 size, but it looks like I am going to have to get a full size 60 or a 90.

Thoughts anyone?
Spawndn72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I wouldn't say they are skipping it and going to Class II. You can hear crickets chirping in all the AMA classes, it seems. Most of the action is in F3C, which means hardly any new blood is getting into the competition helicopter scene. Out of the three contests I have flown in this year, only one entry in class I. I have competed against a total of three other people in Class II this season. I basically compete against myself, looking at round averages and the like, to see if I suck or am holding my own.

For what it's worth, I think you'd be ok flying the 50 in the new Class I. The most energy dependent manuever in that schedule is probably the Cobra V. It looks simple, but you need a good head of steam on entry to make a nice 45 degree upline to center. Otherwise, I think a 50 could easily perform the manuevers as listed. It will just take a little finesse and energy management...which is what all this is about.

Cheers,

Erich
Old 07-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I looked on the AMA website, and their online version of the class rules don't show any forward maneuvers in Class I. Where can I get a copy of the new regs?

Quote:
I think a 50 could easily perform the manuevers as listed. It will just take a little finesse and energy management...which is what all this is about.
A little ballast might not hurt, either. I can remember that my Intrepid 50 - a significantly heavier machine than my current Evo 50 - didn't "snap and jerk" like my Evo, but it sure penetrated a lot better, and carried more momentum on uplines for things like stall turns.

In fact, I've thought of adding a little weight to my Evo, just for that reason.
There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
ShawnK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just happened to have this page open:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/Comp/20...helicopter.htm

Erich
Old 07-03-2006, 04:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Any of the AMA classes or F3C can be flown with a 50 size heli. It just takes practice and getting the heli dialed in to your liking. No where in the AMA rule book or the FAI Sporting Code does it say how big the maneuvers have to be. A 50 size can do the maneuvers, they will just not be as big as a 60 or 90 size would do. Maneuvers are judged on execution and not size.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

People need to make sure they understand that in Class I and Class II that the "Invrted" Triangle refer to the shape of the figure, i.e. pointy end towards the ground, and NOT the helicopter itself. The figures are ALL flown right side up for the heli!!
Old 07-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH
A 50 size can do the maneuvers, they will just not be as big as a 60 or 90 size would do.

David
I was just thinking from a standpoint of how competitive I would be. I am "assuming" that a 90 would be more stable and fly the maneuvers better than a 50, all other things being equal.

I am going to be buying a new heli as the ones I have are all ancient. I was going to get either a Raptor 50 or an Evo 50. Now I am thinking I might go with the Evo 90. The Evo 90 is only $200 or so more than the 50.

What do you guys think?
Spawndn72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For anyone who is interested I re-formatted the 2007 Class I, Class II, and Class III sequence proposals off the AMA site into a more legible and printable pdf format. You can grab it here:

http://www.scaleaerobatics.org/F3C/2...-PROPOSALS.pdf

NOTE: URL Changed on 7/3/06 @ 1919 PDT

I will have other resources available at this location soon. Things like the F3C judging tutorial, the F3C rules, and the AMA Heli rules.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey that's cool...
I'm gonna dump a copy of that into the Files section of the Comp Heli-list page...

Erich
Old 07-03-2006, 07:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawndn72
I was just thinking from a standpoint of how competitive I would be. I am "assuming" that a 90 would be more stable and fly the maneuvers better than a 50, all other things being equal.

I am going to be buying a new heli as the ones I have are all ancient. I was going to get either a Raptor 50 or an Evo 50. Now I am thinking I might go with the Evo 90. The Evo 90 is only $200 or so more than the 50.

What do you guys think?
In my opinion, the vast majority of it is the guy wiggling the sticks, not the machine being flown.

There are benefits to both... I guess it's a matter of what's important to you. As I see it...

50-size benefits:
* Inexpensive to build
* More flight time per tank/gallon of fuel than a 90
* Inexpensive to maintain/repair
* Relatively unintimidating to fly
* Very capable power-to-weight ratio

90-size benefits:
* "Pedigree" factor (it's what the Big Boys fly)
* All things being equal, bigger birds fly "better" than smaller ones (subjective argument)
* More speed/better penetration
* Even better power-to-weight ratio

Me personally, the relatively lower operating expense of a 50 is a big draw (I'm not as well-to-do as some other guys in the hobby). By way of example, I figured out recently that my Evo 50 gets roughly 50% more flight time per unit of fuel than my friend's 90. That translates into a lot more flight time for my dollar, and you just can't beat stick time.

Honestly, I'd recommend an Evo 50, but that's just one man's opinion.
There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
ShawnK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2006, 05:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The thing that matters is the how the size of the maneuvers relate to each other. For this reason it should not matter if it's a 50 size of a 90 size machine.

We had a guy now that won one of the F3C competitions here in Sweden that flies a 60 size machine. His maneuvers are a lot smaller than the our 90 size machines.

The only problem I see with the 50 size is in hovering. It is much harder to hover well than it is with a 90 size machine. I own both a Sceadu EVO and a Freya. I use the Sceadu to practise new stuff, then I continue with the 90 size machine. Works for me.
Hinke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2006, 06:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
GM1
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hinke,
Glad you found your way here. I seem to be doing less and less on other forums and have gradually moved here, although I still read them.
I agree about the 50 sized models. They seem to fly fine with more than adequate power to do nearly any schedule but may get beat up in a healthy wind versus a 90 size model. Daniel Hiatt uses a YS61 powered XL Pro in our Class 3 and has done very well. It's basically the same size as a 90 but requires a little better power management than my 90s.
Gordie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in