Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Big Crash - Not sure if BeastX is cactus or if its the elevator Servos, Opinions Plea

So I put my Gaui X5 with Beast X V2 into a small metal pole 70 metres away on this new field at 100 KPH man what a smash! This was about its 30th flight with the Beast x and it has been perfect.

I'll spare you the details but all the usual things broke, snapped twised bent etc and have been replaced. Good as new!

All servos except the elevator servo were fine. The elevator servo had a snapped servo arm and wasn't working correctly when I tested it (on good servo tester). I take it apart and checked all gears with magnifying glass, all good. I put it back together and its working again!!

So I get everything level at 90 to one tenth of one degree and everything works as it should all through the set up, pitch correct blue light at 6 degrees. The Tx making the servos all work correctly together, but when I got to the swash compensation setting the swash would react the correct way when I moved the heli left or right, but didnt do anything at all when I tipped the heli forward and back. Now remember that the Tx elevator inputs made it move as it should but the Beast X compensation didn't. Also if I move the a bit left to right with a bit of role the elevator servo seemed to really react and it looked like it was trying to do the rudder servos job.

The rudder servo also wasnt moving as well as it should have even though I reset the end points and it works perfectly with just the Tx inputs.

All connections the same as pre crash, I only had to unplug and replug the elev lead

Thoughts, advise??

I'm not sure if its the elevator servo or the Beast x.

Lots of things that fly and crash!
FlyingFiz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It could be the MB, especially as in the correction of direction set-up step all three servos should move in response to forward backwards rocking. Elevator goes up, left and right servo go down and vice versa. So if you are sure you made no changes to the leads, and the servos respond to stick input, then it would certainly seem to be a possibilty that the sensor for that plane is damaged. Although that bit about the rudder moving elevator sounds like a possible wiring mix up?

What happens when you test the response out of set-up. Do you get reacts then in all appropriate places except front back rocking?

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Sutty,

Thanks for the toughts they are similar to mine.

When I'm out of set up and let it initialise and then pick up heli, its the same thing, left to right all good, back and forwards the cyclic doesn't move.

I'm not going to even attempt to fly it as I know it will crash, there are some odd reactions by the swash when I move it about, like a side movement combined with tilting the heli back results in the elevator servo pushing the swash up dramatically. But nothing just straight forward or back.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

What happens if you move the servos plugs around, it is still the same servo thats not moving?

Trying to see if the servo is the issue here?
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Desertstalker,

I haven't tried that as all servos are working perfectly with the Tx imputs, but that is a good suggestion, I might swap the aileron & elevator servo positions and see what happens.

Also the piro compensation doesn't work at all, it was working perfectly pre crash and in either settings in the set up menu, (there are only 2) the swash does nothing, the tilt stays in the same spot. Same result out of set up.

regards,

Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFiz View Post
Hi Desertstalker,

I haven't tried that as all servos are working perfectly with the Tx imputs, but that is a good suggestion, I might swap the aileron & elevator servo positions and see what happens.

Also the piro compensation doesn't work at all, it was working perfectly pre crash and in either settings in the set up menu, (there are only 2) the swash does nothing, the tilt stays in the same spot. Same result out of set up.

regards,
Hmm, only thing i can think of is to reset the BX and set up from scratch, but it does sound like it has been damaged.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It sounds as if one, if not two, of three axis is not being included in the control loop.
- Spektrum DX7
SeanM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys,

Do you think if I updated to the latest firmware, version 3 this might sort the problem?

Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFiz View Post
Guys,

Do you think if I updated to the latest firmware, version 3 this might sort the problem?
Its worth a shot, its certainly not going to make it worse...
Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes thats what I figured.

Stefan on the Microbeast website thinks it simply may need set up step A - orientation redone, which I didn't bother redoing as it was correct before and I didn't change the position of the beastx - so I'm not sure of that. But worth a shot as well.

I'll report back tomorrow.

Last edited by FlyingFiz; 05-30-2012 at 05:02 AM..
Old 05-30-2012, 05:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stefan was right.

For some reason the first set up step, "orientation" had reverted back to red for vertical when it was set by me as blue for horizontal. a flick of the rudder stick, back to blue and everything is sweet! Working perfectly again! I just skipped over this step thinking that wouldnt have changed, I just thought that after replacing the linkages that I just needed to check the various pitch settings and swash reactions.

Very happy I didnt jump the gun and order a new Beastx, although an extra would never go astray, it would just mean another conversion was on the cards.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

these things are bulletproof, im not surprised all is fine
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Odd that it should have done that. Can't begin to imagine why a crash would cause that. Perhaps something was holding in rudder, touching your Tx, as you cycled passed it. Still, doesn't matter now, the issue is resolved. Nice one.

My 450 and 250 have had some pretty hard smashes since being fitted with MBs, and I have yet to have to change anything about them. After a re-ebuild, good, bad or indifferent, all I nearly always have to do is check G, as my links are likely different post build, and then go fly. They really are an excellent piece of kit.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in