Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate

Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Compass Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade tracking

Guys,

My blade tracking is about 4-5mm out in hover. This is a result of replacing the rods after a crash, before they were perfect from the factory

I tried the old red tape trick last night and didn't get on very well, basically i was too scared to get close enough to see the tape

I'm thinking about marking a rod and adjusting 1 turn to see if it improves or worsens.

How are you guys going about this??

Cheers.........
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heathy,

Never get close to spinning blades-ever.

Do you have a friend who can look at the blades and tell you which blade is high and which is low?

Or...

I don't track blades anymore.

I set both up on the bench with a pitch gauge and, especially with a precise machine like an Atom, they track right off the bench. Much easier, in the long run.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree set them at 0 midstick on the bench and you should be fine. If not adjust one blade and if it's worse undo more. Is this clear?
ClubCRASH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Richard,

I only let it get to about 6ft in front of me, that was enough

The swash is perfect on the tool, and both blades pitch are perfect too, i spent over a hour getting them that way too [ocd]

I've just checked the blades over and noticed that some balancing tape is missing [ stock 615mm] maybe this is my problem ??

If not then i will adjust a link until right
Old 07-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I always remove the blades and use my 3mm hex driver as a guide to get 0 pitch. I've never had to interrupt a flight to adjust tracking since I've started doing that.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

this is the how I do it on the bench and never had issues with tracking
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauste View Post
I've now upgraded the Vbar to Pro software and it uses some simple measuring techniques to give very accurate pitch measurements. Having looked at the maths, I figured you could use this as the main means of measuring pitch
First I swapped one of the blades over and then fold them back in the blade grip like this.

To set 0 pitch at mid stick.

Set your linear pitch curve in the TX and then at 50% stick position you're aiming for 0 deg pitch on the blades. Adjust your swash height as necessary and you will have 0 deg pitch when the blade tips are together like this.

here the thread
Old 07-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ragge, that looks hard on your servos! I'm sure it works though.

I personally am quite meticulous and use the method Richard recommends. I rarely have to worry about tracking on my Compass machines.
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just a tip. Try pop one of the delrin links. If the link is not straight over the ball and has to be forced either direction to fit you got something bent. Check the bolts holding the delrin rods then the arms on the grip. If they aren't good funky tracking can be the result

Good centering and setup eliminates blade tracking if nothing is wrong
myrseth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have a huge vibration after a crash, ive replaced all the parts but especially when i rev up you see the vibration. i think its caused by the blade tracking that could be off just a bit but i have been trying to adjust this but i just keep on getting it wrong even with the blade folding method

does anybody have a good guide how to fix this?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Did you check/replace the feathering shaft?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

i checked it, and it looked perfectly strait rolled it on the table and it looked strait there aswell.
do you think i might have overlooked it? the crash wasnt really hard and the feathering shaft is pretty sturdy.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

your arms on your grips might be bent use a straight edge and compare both sides, they do bend very easy crash if there out by 1mm over 600mm that could put your blades out of track like 6mm just an example
kachur779 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree that the blade grip arms might be bent.

On a friend's helicopter, one of the bolts that holds the yoke to the blade grip arm was bent slightly-this causes tracking error.

We caught it by using the procedure Klaus recommended, above (unsnapping the ball link at the swashplate and seeing a difference in alignment of the ball link/Delrin Drive Tube.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

well one of the bolts that go in the main grip arm and holds the delrin rod fork was bent so i replaced that after the crash. i replaced it with a standard m3x30 bolt instead of a compass bolt. i left the other standard back then.
i took the head apart too see if the grips were bent but they werent and i also replaced the other compass bolt for a m3x30.
the main blades have survived 3 minor crashes and apart from a few small paint flaws the blades look perfect. maybe its the blades? i could replace em and see what happens. i hope i can find this stupid problem
Old 03-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope View Post
well one of the bolts that go in the main grip arm and holds the delrin rod fork was bent so i replaced that after the crash. i replaced it with a standard m3x30 bolt instead of a compass bolt. i left the other standard back then.
i took the head apart too see if the grips were bent but they werent and i also replaced the other compass bolt for a m3x30.
the main blades have survived 3 minor crashes and apart from a few small paint flaws the blades look perfect. maybe its the blades? i could replace em and see what happens. i hope i can find this stupid problem
I replace those bolts after every crash. If the blades hit the ground those bolts have been stressed. If the grip arms are bent, those bolts MUST be replaced as you can rest assured they are bent. As Myrseth says... if they don't line up when popped off the balls on the swash, something is bent.

Last edited by alexmit; 03-20-2012 at 09:38 AM..
alexmit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrseth View Post
Just a tip. Try pop one of the delrin links. If the link is not straight over the ball and has to be forced either direction to fit you got something bent. Check the bolts holding the delrin rods then the arms on the grip. If they aren't good funky tracking can be the result

Good centering and setup eliminates blade tracking if nothing is wrong
That is very true. Both of my rod were leaning to the side. I replaced the screws for the derlin rods, now the links line up perfect.
heliglenn71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in