Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Henseleit

Henseleit Henseleit Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Henseleit TDR compared to Triabolo

This might not be the best place to start a discussion on this but I figured since we all love the TDR, I would get an honest answer here.

I want to go for a three blade heli for the heck of it basically.

Since the TDR II with three blades seems to have been put off for a while, I am looking at options and the triabolo seems like a good one. I know that a lot of you here are flying both or at least the diabolo. So how do they compare?

Mechanically, penetration in the air, locked in feeling and so forth.

This is for 3D flying on the smooth side of things.

Keep in mind that my other option is the Kyle Stacy Goblin. I do have a Goblin 700 and like it very much but my TDR is in an other realm. I am just wondering if the Triabolo would be as good to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was really hoping that the Hense' 3-Bladed head-assembly would be offered (early-on).
I want one-of these for my TDR-1 soo-much !

Can you purchase TriaBOLO as a kit or is Tria-version only available as an upgrade (from the DiaBOLO (?))

Don't leave out Shape, I know that they have a 3-Bladed Head-assembly in-the-works for their new S8 release

Futaba 14SGH FASST / FASSTest

Last edited by HilliHeli; 07-09-2015 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: correction
HilliHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes the Triabolo can be ordered as a kit

see:http://www.peakaircraft.com/Products...n=4600&pID=267

They are on backorder for now though. No rush for me this is a winter project.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a Triabolo 700 and a TDR.

I got the Triabolo first and just loved it right from the beginning but had always been curious about the TDR so when a good 2nd hand one came along I thought I better grab it and satisfy my curiousity.

Obviously there are a lot of variables, headspeed, flying style, electrics etc. so everyone's experience is bound to vary a bit.

On both helis I have a Spartan Vortex, the VX1N on the Triabolo and the VX1e on the TDR. My TDR is a very light setup whereas the Triabolo is overkill motor and ESC.

Obviously the two airframes are quite similar, the Diabolo / Triabolo is a bit heavier construction, massive boom, belt tail etc.

I've said before in other threads, the Triabolo is the most 'locked-in' precise feeling heli I have ever flown. For me it's as near perfect as I can imagine.

It makes me curious how a Diabolo with the same FBL unit would feel by comparison in order to see how much of the feel is due to the three blades. The Tri is also extremely smooth.

I fly both helis at about the same headspeed, around 1350 ish in idle-1. At this speed the Triabolo doesn't really feel like it's running 'low headspeed'.

The weight difference in my case is pretty big because of how minimal the TDR is (Jive 80HV, Align 750MX motor. So the extra weight of the Triabolo gives it some of the natural stability but it does not feel heavy in the air.

Anyway, my flying is pretty sedate, smooth 'big air' with a little F3C thrown in now and then. Both helis are very good for this type of flying but I think the extra spinning mass of the three blades adds to the 'like it's on rails' precise feeling.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 07:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks trillian for taking the time to answer my quirry this is exactly what I am looking for.

I am now leaning more toward a triabolo thanks to you. I am sure that some of the locked in feel is due to the triblades as this is usually one of the comments most people flying them will say but the way you talk about it is enticing.

Since my flying seems to be similar to yours, the fact that you seem to like it more than the TDR speaks volume to me.

I like the fact that it will be a different machine to build than the Goblin which I already have build one of.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
Thanks trillian for taking the time to answer my quirry this is exactly what I am looking for.

I am now leaning more toward a triabolo thanks to you. I am sure that some of the locked in feel is due to the triblades as this is usually one of the comments most people flying them will say but the way you talk about it is enticing.

Since my flying seems to be similar to yours, the fact that you seem to like it more than the TDR speaks volume to me.

I like the fact that it will be a different machine to build than the Goblin which I already have build one of.
Hey, you're welcome. I will mention, one thing that might account for the differences on the ones that I own is that when I first setup the VX1 on the Triabolo it was almost spot-on right from the start. I only had to bring up the tail gain a bit. So it just so happens that the stock 3D preset in the Vortex suits it with very few changes.

The TDR is not quite so dialed-in, due I suppose to different linkage geometry etc. I have had to fiddle more with the settings in the Vortex. I have also tried a few different sets of blades on the TDR but have always flown the Triabolo with the NHPs that came with it.

I settled on Edge 713s on the TDR as they seemed to do everything really well but I have a pair of Radix F3C blades that are quite heavy and if I could get the settings in the FBL unit to cope with that it might be interesting. (when I tried them they just felt too sluggish so it would mean upping something that controls agility).

The point being that I kinda got lucky with the Vortex on the Triabolo working great pretty much right out of the box.

They both have good servos, I have RJXs on the Tri and JR8717s on the TDR so I don't think either has an advantage there. As soon as the weather and trains allow I will be flying the TDR again and see if the FBL settings can be improved.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

We really are thinking alike here, JR8717 are my choice servos too so far.

Now I only have to get my head around going for a Kontronik ESC instead of a Mezon and get use to Jlog for telemetry.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

I have two TDR, a Diabolo and have flown the Speed Diabolo with a tri head. Comparing two blades, the Diabolo is a little more agile on the cyclic, the TDR is a little more slippy. The TDR slips away when you put the nose down, the Diabolo is a little more fuss. The Diabolo doesn't have that slightly floaty feel the TDR does or the slight inertia to starting movement. They are both awesome in big air moves.
I think the three blade just enables the slower head speed and gives a bit more inertia but it isn't really a TDR feel.
I have a Triabolo in a box but haven't bothered building it as a enjoy the Di !
Old 07-08-2015, 12:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1, I have both too (Diabolo & TDR) Mercuriell's description of the difference is spot on IMHO too.

Jeti DS24 / VControl Touch
aziz76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

^^^^
Ditto.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys, I did pull the trigger on the Triabolo and working out the canopy color with Chuck as we speak. (I sound like my wife LOL)

I am sure I will be in touch with Oats at Insane for one hell of a canopy pretty soon.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

From a friend of mine.. Here you get both
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	595533  
dude25 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2015, 02:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
Thanks guys, I did pull the trigger on the Triabolo and working out the canopy color with Chuck as we speak. (I sound like my wife LOL)

I am sure I will be in touch with Oats at Insane for one hell of a canopy pretty soon.
An Insane canopy is certainly a must have for dressing up !

Old 07-09-2015, 07:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Niiiiice
Old 07-10-2015, 05:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

I used to have a matching boom to go with that canopy but unfortunately it got bent. Really beautiful work by Oat. If you decide to do the boom as well just be careful on the fit. I'd attach the tail hub first, minus the rotor, etc, and mark the point to leave original finish at the frame.
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Triabolo is locked in to the air but the TDR is the air.
jiminator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in