Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Recent SOKO Kit purchase...love it

Recently, I purchased the kit and was able to set up the 7HV. Took the time to watch the vieos and went step by step. This afternoon, I took her out and all I can say is WOW! She tracks perfectly and IMO flies better than it ever did. To anyone who wants to setup their heli correctly, this kit is definately the way to go. I'm definitely glad I did. and am sold on it. I was simply amazed just how off the RC Logger was in relationship to the SOKO unit. To those who have heard about the kit and wonder will it make a difference...YES IT WILL and you won't regret it. One of the best purchases in the hobby to date I have made.
#1RCHelifan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1

I happened upon another Soko thread, got interested and then watched the Soko videos. A friend had one that I borrowed and I was really impressed with the accuracy of the setup. I'll be buying one for myself once I pay off a helicopter purchase. Matt
byHISgrace is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

How is the setup time wise? more complicated?
Old 02-09-2014, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsss View Post
How is the setup time wise? more complicated?

Initially, yes maybe 30mins max. Less once familiar. More complicated? No. The walkthrough vids and manual are the best in the business. Once you have done it once there is no more tweaking needed.

I keep a normal pitch gauge in the flight box for quick pitch checks but for any new builds, rebuilds etc, the SOKO tool gets used without question
Bonkievan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, definitely one of the better toolbox purchases you can make.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

How is it more accurate than say an rc logger? It measures from the blade grips just the same.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Recent SOKO Kit purchase...love it

Quote:
How is it more accurate than say an rc logger? It measures from the blade grips just the same.

It can move and not get messed up like the RC logger. To level the swash you put the soko tool on a blade grip and turn the head so the grip link is over each swash point. One at a time. If the pitch doesn't change you have a level swash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The sensor is different to the RC Logger(and other similar ones). The quality of the RC Logger and accessories are a bit flimsy in comparison. The setup process used with the Soko kit is the part that really makes the difference though.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Recent SOKO Kit purchase...love it

Isn't it quicker to simply reset the gauge to zero on top of the head when moving to the next servo? Eliminates the neat for leveling the heli. I always use this method. Works like a charm.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought one. I've used it to set up a T-rex and a Goblin.

Honestly, I have mixed feelings on the value of the Soko. Having to use a leveling table or stacks of paper to get the main shaft at true vertical is a real pain - especially with the Goblin since it has a significant forward rake. I had to max out my leveling table AND add paper to get the shaft of my G500 level.

It's also a pain if the top of the hub of your heli does not have a threaded hole to mount the Soko on. If it doesn't have one then you have to measure true 0 by mounting the Soko in a blade grip, disconnecting linkages, measure angles in two different places, and then do a bunch of math. It's imprecise, and I thought the whole point of the Soko was to make things more accurate.

On the other hand, I will say that the end result was good. But it was a lot of hassle to get there. The Soko is by and large useless in the field unless you want to drag stacks of paper or a leveling table with you. It's a good tool for the shop, though.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got the Soko kit for my first build, a T-rex 450 Pro DFC. It took some time to set up, but was pretty easy to understand. The longest part was leveling the heli itself. When you re-connect the link to the swash, you have to be careful not to move the heli much or you might lose your level starting point. If you have one of those cutting board levelers, the process would be that much quicker if not more accurate as you would be less likely to move the heli.

I've read some threads that included the guy who developed the Soko Kit. He seems very passionate and available to help/answer questions. I think the guy probably just operates out of his house, but it is still quite refreshing to have a manufacturer who seems to care and gives good service and even participates on message boards. That was one of the reasons I decided to go with the Soko Kit.
crashjack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have people tried the ronlund laser pitch gauge? (http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli-prod/TOOLSE/LPGV2.html)

I read posts where people said it's a pain to do, but as far as accuracy goes, it seems it will be very accurate. It does not depend on "leveling" the main mast. It also does not depend on inaccuracies in the pitch sensors of digital pitch gauges. (I'm referring to cases where the pitch gauge can't really resolve an angle difference of 0.1 degrees.) The laser should be able to go that extra mile and resolve at a finer granularity.
P@reez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

A heli designed with the main shaft tilted way off vertical when it sits on the skids? What would the design advantages of this be? Anyway how can you can blame the tool for that? I've never had a problem finding something to level my heli's with. An old magazine you keep in your can be torn up and provide more than enough shim materiel to level any reasonable tilted main shaft.

Taking one blade off, installing the tool and disconnecting ONE END of ONE link is not my idea of a pain. Measuring two angles, adding them together and dividing by two is also not my idea of a "bunch of math"

You stated that the method is imprecise. In the next paragraph you stated the results were good. I'm confused. I found it very precise which is my definition of good results for a pitch gauge.

As Finless used to say though YMMV
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post
A heli designed with the main shaft tilted way off vertical when it sits on the skids? What would the design advantages of this be?
My guess is aesthetics. Though one real benefit is more ground clearance for the tail blades and vstab. You'd have to ask SAB though if that was their intent, or if it was entirely an aesthetic choice.

Quote:
Anyway how can you can blame the tool for that? I've never had a problem finding something to level my heli's with. An old magazine you keep in your can be torn up and provide more than enough shim materiel to level any reasonable tilted main shaft.
I don't "blame" the tool, I'm simply pointing out a shortcoming vs the zip tie method.

If you were to use something like rdlohr's tools then the angle of the main shaft becomes irrelevant when setting zero pitch and leveling the swash. It eliminates a lot of work and the need for adjustable surfaces.

The only thing you'll need a gauge for is to measure max positive and negative pitch. You could actually use the Soko for that part, since you can zero it against another reference point, like the top of the motor can. Or you could use an RC Logger, Align digital gauge, or an analogue gauge.

Quote:
Taking one blade off, installing the tool and disconnecting ONE END of ONE link is not my idea of a pain. Measuring two angles, adding them together and dividing by two is also not my idea of a "bunch of math"
It is a pain compared to other methods that are just as accurate.

Quote:
You stated that the method is imprecise. In the next paragraph you stated the results were good. I'm confused. I found it very precise which is my definition of good results for a pitch gauge.

As Finless used to say though YMMV
The results were good, but it took more time and effort to get them vs. the zip tie method, and I question whether there's a real benefit. I do like the plastic disc for mounting the Soko to the blade grips and the dual readouts.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

The zip tie method doesn't come close to explaining all the Soko tool does.

Also, I have a leveling table. And setup all three of my Goblins quite easily without any extra paper or products needed to get mine with the main shaft perfectly level.

Compared to all the rest of the digital pitch gauges that use the same identical cheapo measuring chips that you get in free cell phones. Which all drift. The Soko uses true gravity zero. And, it doesn't bump off when you give the fbl system commands which pump the swash. Compared to the RcLogger and a few others I have used. My tracking and entire head symmetry have never been this accurate.

Another avid supporter of this tool here!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

One big advantage is, in my opinion, you can assemble the entire head, get the main shaft at absolute vertical, level the swash and set pitch and cyclic throw all in one set up. I use a leveling table that has a clamping system that holds the heli securely. Works like a charm.
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

I got one of those SOKO tools and I'm plenty pleased with it but I would tend to agree with the observations that others have made. And maybe add one.

It's heavy enough it will deflect the landing gear on something like a Forza 450 so you'll be into some means of trying to keep the thing stable.

Using the magazine / paper / pinochle deck method of getting a heli level isn't all that bad - but I find myself incapable of getting the tool out of one blade grip and into the second without disrupting the house of cards I've constructed. I've yet to use it to check tracking on anything smaller than a 600.

The thing is worth its weight in gold on 600 and 800 machines but 450 / 500s, when combined with my sausage fingers and willingness of the construct to be disturbed - maybe not so much.

As to forward rake - I can't recall a recent build that didn't have it. It's the new normal. And I've found that if you shim enough under the front any significant shimming under one side will turn the heli into one of those annoying restaurant tables that have 4 legs but only 3 legs on the ground at any one time. The tool itself is a marvel of precision that can't reach its potential when used on a heli that's lurching from one shaky foundation of shims to another. I suppose it would be more at home in the context of a leveling table - but if I knew I was into buying or building a leveling table I probably wouldn't have bought the SOKO.

But it's still worth it just for the larger helis that have enough mass to keep the pagoda from waffling about.
Hawk404 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I made a leveling table from a cheap cutting board and three furniture glides. That's pretty cheap and easy to work with.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's what I use.

jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
I made a leveling table from a cheap cutting board and three furniture glides. That's pretty cheap and easy to work with.
That's what I did, too. It works fine at home, it's just not something I want to ever take with me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in