Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HK450 Build

Not ready to fly a 450 yet, but, I am looking for a fun summer project, so I am looking at building an HK450 kit. Just checking to see if I'm on the right track, or if I should swap out anything on the order. Parts listed here:
HK-450GT PRO V2 3D Belt-Drive Helicopter Kit (Align T-Rex Compat.)

Turnigy Typhoon 450H 2215H Heli Motor 3550kv (450 class)

TURNIGY K-Force 40A Brushless ESC

3x Turnigy MG90S Metal Gear Servo 1.8kg / 13.4g / 0.10sec

HobbyKing HK-922MG Digital Metal Gear Servo 1.8kg/ 12g/ 0.07sec

Hobby King 401B AVCS Digital Head Lock Gyro

OrangeRx R620 Spektrum/JR DSM2 Compatible Full Range 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver w/Failsafe

HK450V2 Pinion Gear 3.17mm 11T/13T (Align part # HZ052 - H45059)

3x Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack

Any opinions?
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

get some spare parts. I have a hit or miss when it comes to hk helis. sometimes having to mix and match parts to get slop out or get vibrations down. Their bearing quality seems to have gone down too. Most of my problems with their kits seem to be head and tail related.

I prefer the tarot kits over the HK kits.
paedbo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

What kind of parts? Planning on getting another main gear, I hear they come warped most of the time.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

gears are moslty ok i fly them without issues but im yet to get a straight main shaft from them othen then that for your first 450 sized heli you will enjoy the Hk450GT just get a better gyro the new line of HK401b's are super sensitive IMHO , you have to run them at a gain so low it just dont feel right , the assain GA250 is around $10 and it great for learning as well as some 3d like flips and rolls ect i have 2 and mostly sports fly with backflips and maybe a 3 sec inverted hold with alittle fast backwards flight and it holds up very good i think you'll out grow your 450 heli before you out grow that gyro!

about the only other thing i might change is the esc , ive starting using the YEP range of esc's from HK and love them to death the soft start is Soo good i dont even have a normal flight mode anymore just 3 different flat curves to suit different styles

but hey i learnt to fly on a $100 RTF 450 titan with plastic gear servos and all so hey everything in your list is better then that
Raptor 50 Flybar - os50 sx-h
rotceh_dnih is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Overall looks good I agree go for the ASSAN GA 250. I had a 401B & the 250 is much better. I have likely 400 flights now on my 450 GT & it has been a champ. I just dirt napped it last night but will get her fixed back up this week.

Its a solid heli for the money. I have some Tarots now & they are nice but for the money the HK is a good value.

Cam
qcman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd swap your chosen ESC with a YEP45a - great ESC

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

I also prefer the nanotech batts over the standard turnigy ones

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11944
boykster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is this the Gyro you guys were talking about?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...MEMS_Gyro.html

Easy swap, and cheaper to boot. Same with the ESC.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

That the one mate , lol yea its funny its cheaper but it sure is better same for the esc they are proven!

here's a vid i did an hour ago of my beater 450 with a GA250 on it, i did he video just to show it can be pretty solid .

Trex 450V2 Light 3d (2 min 3 sec)
Raptor 50 Flybar - os50 sx-h
rotceh_dnih is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

See if u can get tail shaft or whole tail assembly as spare. Many times I get slightly bent shafts. If u get the whole tail. Get a few tail shafts too. Align tail shaft will not fit the Hk tails the belt pulley is too wide on the aligns. Unless I got a bad batch? Hk main blocks have been hit and miss whether the hole is centered and our last 450 gt also had a bad swashplate that wobbled and had to be replaced.

Get spare ball links and a ball link resizer. There's always either a tight one or loose one.
Other than that I can't think of anything else.

If u plan to go fbl in the future they have a decent $11 head you can get for it. They have it listed twice once as rjx head for $35 but if u look around you will find an $11 version.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

So when I order tails be sure to get hk ones not align? The swash I can get align though right?
Old 07-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

ive never used align swashes. copterx or exi both worked with the hk. yeah tail shafts and or whole tail assemblies. the tail assembly I think is $9 but they are out of stock often.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to confuse you more, I had a hk450gt and hk450 v2 and both have crap main gears, They are oval not round and reek havoc, also the tail drive unit. Repalce both of these with align. They rest of my helis were 99% HK and were great, I did however replace main shaft with align after I used up my hk shafts, But apart from that they are a pretty good cheap heli and are a blast and take a hammering.
But I know ech person has their own experiences with HK stuff, And i would change to yep 45 esc cheap and very good and also the GA250 Gyro, Other than that have fun.
Diggiz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I finished my first 450 build (HK 450V2) a few months ago .I was pleased with the kit ,seemed well made etc, however mine had a bent main shaft and the first time I spooled up testing it took a tooth off the main gear ! It took while for me to work out why the tail kept kicking out ! Align main shaft is now fitted . I bought HK main gear replacements , One of those lost teeth as it spooled up ! Also the swashplate bearing is very sloppy , not too much of a problem at the moment as I'm still at the hovering stage,but a replacement is neede . So far spares I've needed are flybars, tail drive gear , feathering shaft , tail rotor shaft (careful with these the ones I got are shorter than the originals which were on back order) ,blades, Align dampers ,the ones fitted were c**p , one way bearing shaft, landing skids were v.soft,easy to straighten , but one fell apart! Most of my spares I source on Ebay,eg : gogo.rc .I'm using 4x HXT 900 servo's , they work o.k. but don't seem to last long ! So I'll need to upgrade soon.
hopkin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

how do the hxt900's not last long? I have a 450 that I just changed out HXT's for digitals. They were in service for 3 years (well 2 of them were one died last year).

Crashes will strip the gears but its $0.99 to replace the gears.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: HK450 Build

This GA250 gyro appears to have a BEC lead on it, am I right in thinking you don't need to use it with an Align ESC?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
wooly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Main problem with my HXT's is wires coming adrift ,they seem to break at the solder joint .I've managed to repair a couple but the last one I did had a bit of chatter. I've only damaged the gear once , when it toppled and the blade struck the ground.
hopkin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Been away from thinking about a 450 for a while. Decided I'm going to go flybarless. I like my little MCPX so much, and don't like flying the flybar helis in the sim. I like to make vary fine stick movements and the flybar helis seem to need a little more...inspiration to get to move.

Going to change the heli kit for the HK450 TT FBL, and the gyro will be changed to a ZYX-s.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright, final post before I actually get to the interesting stuff. Waiting on a package from HK. Picked up an unbuild HK450 FBL kit from the classifieds. It came with 3 HD-1810MG cyclic servos, and a DS-329MG for the tail. It has a Turnigy H223 2900KV motor. I ordered all the tools, a zyx-s flybarless system, and a YEP 40A esc from HK to get it build.

If anyone knows which trex manual to use for this, that would be awesome. It says that it's a "pro" but the pro manual is for a flybar heli, and I don't know how setup will differ. Next post will be me actually building.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtyndall View Post
Alright, final post before I actually get to the interesting stuff. Waiting on a package from HK. Picked up an unbuild HK450 FBL kit from the classifieds. It came with 3 HD-1810MG cyclic servos, and a DS-329MG for the tail. It has a Turnigy H223 2900KV motor. I ordered all the tools, a zyx-s flybarless system, and a YEP 40A esc from HK to get it build.

If anyone knows which trex manual to use for this, that would be awesome. It says that it's a "pro" but the pro manual is for a flybar heli, and I don't know how setup will differ. Next post will be me actually building.
If it's a pro chassis it will use a Trex pro manual. Not sure if the HK450 FBL is DFC or not, so not sure which manual to use for the head. Here's a list of the current T-rex's it might help you find the right one to compare.

http://www.helipal.com/select-by-bra...4gnentqnd7fsq6
jp0160 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doesn't look like a dfc head. It has a set of mixing arms(I think that's what they are) and four balls on the swash.

Also, looks like my kit is missing the mainshaft, so I'm on hold for that.

ETA...bought the mainshaft, looks like I don't have blade grip screws...I have a feeling I'm in over my head. I don't even know the things I don't know!

Last edited by jmtyndall; 09-25-2013 at 09:51 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in