Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default head speed bogging down

I have the 250 running on 15t and Align 850mah. Throttle curve is 100% in idle1 and pitch is setup for +10/-10. I noticed that everytime I pump the pitch my head speed bogs down quite a bit. Also, I would loose head speed and engine would bog when doing a flip with too much positive/negative pitch inputs.

Do you notice this on your heli?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

anyone experiencing this same issue?

do I need to upgrade to 16T and carbon blades?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnguyen123 View Post
anyone experiencing this same issue?

do I need to upgrade to 16T and carbon blades?
you need the carbon blades..
erniefritz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Gear mesh? Running the straight 200's? ESC programmed properly for hi/lo stick?
heli-on is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-on View Post
Gear mesh? Running the straight 200's? ESC programmed properly for hi/lo stick?
Gear mesh is good (i.e. not too tight but with gap like in instruction manual). Running the tapered 205 blades and ESC is programmed properly for hi/lo. I also checked other things like belt tension, throttle end points, fresh lipos, and any bindings in gear train and head.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've got my idle1 at 85% and Idle2 at 92% (both flat). It's a dog at 85% and it almost feels (or should I say sounds - because you can hear a slow down) like something's binding at the collective limits. I'm running with maximum washout base travel (collective pitch). It's something like 13 or 14 - ridiculous, but doesn't bind at collective/cyclic limits. My solution is to not use Idle1. I only have it on there so I can hear the motor transistion through it. This is running 16T. I recommend you at least put it in there to see what it's all about. I wasn't happy with the power out of this thing until I did. Make sure you do the DC tail blade snip. If you're running as low of a pitch, you could have a bum motor or ESC. Maybe a bearing has seized on you?
heli-on is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks buddy. I'll try upgrading to the 16T to see if it helps.

I already have the tail blades snip down to 38mm. I wanted to be conservative first but may have to snip down to 37mm as others have recommended.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you using decent quality batteries with a good "C" rating ? Don't have too much pitch either as that can also cause problems on little machines.

Good luck,
Mike
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Are you using decent quality batteries with a good "C" rating ? Don't have too much pitch either as that can also cause problems on little machines.

Good luck,
Mike
yes, good lipos. I'm using the Align 850mah and only have +10/-10 pitch. I'm going to head to my LHS for the 16T upgrade and see how she does then.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I upgraded to the 16T and no longer have issues with head bogging down. What a big difference from the stock 15T. Even with extreme collective inputs (going from almost full negative to full positive), HS holds very well. I'm still using the stock 205 plastic blades. I'm sure this thing will be a rocket when I have the 16T and carbon blades.

FYI for those of you thinking about upgrading to 16T. I had the same problem as DesertClimber. My tail was holding solid with the 15T and cut down tail blades of 38mm. After changing to 16T, the tail kept wagging and blowing out when doing 3D. Actually caused a pretty bad crash (tail blew out as I was doing piro flips).

After rebuilding, I went ahead and further cut down the blades to 37mm as others have done. Well, PRESTO...night and day difference. Tail holding pretty well now through 3D manuevers. It's not as solid as my T500, but pretty close. Think I may have to borrow the 9257 servo out of the T500 as many are having success with this servo.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnguyen123 View Post
I upgraded to the 16T and no longer have issues with head bogging down. What a big difference from the stock 15T. Even with extreme collective inputs (going from almost full negative to full positive), HS holds very well. I'm still using the stock 205 plastic blades. I'm sure this thing will be a rocket when I have the 16T and carbon blades.

FYI for those of you thinking about upgrading to 16T. I had the same problem as DesertClimber. My tail was holding solid with the 15T and cut down tail blades of 38mm. After changing to 16T, the tail kept wagging and blowing out when doing 3D. Actually caused a pretty bad crash (tail blew out as I was doing piro flips).

After rebuilding, I went ahead and further cut down the blades to 37mm as others have done. Well, PRESTO...night and day difference. Tail holding pretty well now through 3D manuevers. It's not as solid as my T500, but pretty close. Think I may have to borrow the 9257 servo out of the T500 as many are having success with this servo.
do it! do it!,and buy your 500 a nice Jr 3500 for its tail for the favor
gixxerjeff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in