Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Henseleit

Henseleit Henseleit Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidDrink View Post
Well, thanks for this post, that really sealed my decision to remove 4350-540 from my TDR and get pyro52/Helijive combo. Before I do it, I am not going to fly anything higher than 1700, but that makes that motor pointless, just like I thought.
I also think (correct me if I am wrong), that there are severe temperature issues when running motors like this.

Personally, I'd rather not drill 3-4 holes in the canopy and install some obscure devices just to keep temps bearable.

I think it's wise decision to not to try to make a TDR something which it isn't - a hardcore stick banger heli, there are better suited machines for this kind of flying.
I'll keep 4530 for a Goblin or whatever can take 10,000kw of power without damaging the heli in long (or rather short, I'd say) run.
Of course, it's all about personal preference.
I have manage to bog the Pyro in the TDR, but not the croco 4035 yet...still trying though!

Just flew the Goblin this morning using a 4525...as there is no indication of Vbar settings we started out with the TDR ones and adjusted along the way. It sure has a nice collective pop to it which makes full pos and neg pyroing pitch pumps which Tareq loves so much quite addictive. One thing though is that the TDR flies better 3D as the Goblin...still much prefer the TDRs feel and agility, but I will still give myself time to adjust to the Goblin and dial in the VBar settings before final verdict...working off a blank canvas here...

Last edited by Heli G; 02-26-2012 at 09:37 AM..
Heli G is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bet the new Scorpion 130A would work with the 4535 without to much trouble. I don't think the Scorpion ESC has any of the internal protections that the Jive has, so it should drive the motor without fail up until the point that it has an internal meltdown.
Kontronik Drives
Justin Stuart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli G View Post
I have manage to bog the Pyro in the TDR, but not the croco 4035 yet...still trying though!

Just flew the Goblin this morning using a 4525...as there is no indication of Vbar settings we started out with the TDR ones and adjusted along the way. It sure has a nice collective pop to it which makes full pos and neg pyroing pitch pumps which Tareq loves so much quite addictive. One thing though is that the TDR flies better 3D as the Goblin...still much prefer the TDRs feel and agility, but I will still give myself time to adjust to the Goblin and dial in the VBar settings before final verdict...working off a blank canvas here...

Nice collection!
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I also think (correct me if I am wrong), that there are severe temperature issues when running motors like this.
Depends on what you call severe... my 4525LE run really hot, 125°C on the outside after 2,5 to 3min hard flying. The 4530 X-era (pretty much the same power) and my 4535 powercroco run really cool...the 4535 is another league tough...
Basically if you have 80% r even 85% efficiency and lot's of power, heat is something which has to be produced no matter which motor. But I have to say pretty much everything including canopy, carbon frame and cnc parts of my TDR got hot when using the 4525. Funny thing was that you could see the hot air coming out of the opening between canopy and main shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Stuart View Post
I bet the new Scorpion 130A would work with the 4535 without to much trouble. I don't think the Scorpion ESC has any of the internal protections that the Jive has, so it should drive the motor without fail up until the point that it has an internal meltdown.
I'm waiting for the up-coming 180A Scorpion.. seams to be a better option for 453x.
-Klaus
Old 02-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh. I didn't realize they were working on a 180A Scorpion. Good to know.
Kontronik Drives
Old 02-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Klaus, thanks again for very informative post.

Seeing hot air coming out of the canopy is what I'd call "severe".
Bit off topic, but I wonder how many Goblins will melt during Summer . The canopy is even more closed than TDR and power systems people installing seem to start from 4525 and then just go up
4530-540 should run colder than original 4525, right?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Used the 4525 in the Goblin today and it was surprisingly cool for the flying we did. Seems the motor mount that's integrated into the "modular power system" works great to reduce heat. The canopy also has a funny duct system that probably works, but since we mostly did 3D it was'nt being used much.

Like Klaus I also found the croco motors to run much cooler than the other Scorpions. Looking at the logs they also seem much more efficient.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why do the Croco motors run cooler than the Scorpion motors? Do the Croco motors use less glue on the windings so that more air can flow through?
Kontronik Drives
Old 02-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think wound neater so more airflow.

All my 4525/30/35 temps are around the same. When its winter and less than 20degc temps are not even a concern. Even now at 30deg i just dont care it works.

Ps everything with klaus is severe! lol
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the Scorpion 4525 is more efficient than the Scorpion 4035 for hovering and light stuff, but once you push the Scorpion 4525 it heats up like a 100W light bulb. I took mine apart the other day to clean out the bits of main gear dust which gets mixed with the oil, and was surprised at how little space there is between the windings for any air to flow through. I suppose it doesn't really matter since the motor works perfectly well as is, but it got me thinking that maybe if there was less glue on the windings, the motor might not run so hot.
Kontronik Drives
Old 02-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Bit off topic, but I wonder how many Goblins will melt during Summer . The canopy is even more closed than TDR and power systems people installing seem to start from 4525 and then just go up
I've a 16s 4535 powercroco setup for my Goblin. Just by looking at the second stage gear I'm not sure if this will not end in shaved gears... anyway, another toy to play with until the Banshee is available
If everything goes into the wrong direction, I'll stay with my Raptor which is the only machine right now which is able to handle that much power without extreme wear-out or shaved gears.

Quote:
4530-540 should run colder than original 4525, right?
Of course, it's bigger, can take more heat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicraze View Post
Ps everything with klaus is severe! lol
Haha
-Klaus
Old 02-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I flew my TDR all weekend with Pyro 700-52 and HeliJive / Vbar Gov. Put some 30 flights and for pete's sake, this heli is really really unique. I had a hard time setting Gov gain and dynamic add / collective add on each of 3 banks for each rpm. I got it great on 1850 rpm but at low head speeds the rpm are just not stable and with higher gain it starts tintilating. I also tried fast runs at 2000 rpm and that's when I met the Pyro's limit for the first time (I've been using Pyros on my Logo and my Kasama). With a 14t and 13º pitch it can not hold rpm. Maybe the obliged KSA on mode 8 has some power penalty.

I wanted to put on of my new Xeras 4530 this morning before flying but later decided to fly the whole day and do the swap during the week since I am not planning on using Vbar Gov with the Xera, just to be cautious, so I need to install the motor, re do HeliJive reseting and programming and undo Vbar Gov.

I am 100% sure I'll love the Xera on the TDR. It's by far the most fascinating heli I've flown in 26 years.

Marcos

Banshee #27, 2x TDR, Diabolo, Logo 690SX, Raptor E700, JR Sylphide E12 EX Super Gracy, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, Logo 550SE, Logo 400SE, JR Forza 450. Mikado Vcontrol.
marcosp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

You really need a 15t pinion if you want to run up at 2000+ HS with the pyro.

No real different to trying to run up at 1850 with a 13t, it does not quite have enough in reserve with 12s input voltage.

This is simply due to the KV value with 12s supply voltage.
Costas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agree with you on all those points!
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Why do the Croco motors run cooler than the Scorpion motors? Do the Croco motors use less glue on the windings so that more air can flow through?
The croco motors are more efficient so less heat.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofmaya View Post
until the Banshee is available
Can't wait for the Banshee as well.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:48 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosp View Post
I flew my TDR all weekend with Pyro 700-52 and HeliJive / Vbar Gov. Put some 30 flights and for pete's sake, this heli is really really unique. I had a hard time setting Gov gain and dynamic add / collective add on each of 3 banks for each rpm. I got it great on 1850 rpm but at low head speeds the rpm are just not stable and with higher gain it starts tintilating. I also tried fast runs at 2000 rpm and that's when I met the Pyro's limit for the first time (I've been using Pyros on my Logo and my Kasama). With a 14t and 13º pitch it can not hold rpm. Maybe the obliged KSA on mode 8 has some power penalty.

I wanted to put on of my new Xeras 4530 this morning before flying but later decided to fly the whole day and do the swap during the week since I am not planning on using Vbar Gov with the Xera, just to be cautious, so I need to install the motor, re do HeliJive reseting and programming and undo Vbar Gov.

I am 100% sure I'll love the Xera on the TDR. It's by far the most fascinating heli I've flown in 26 years.
H

Marcos
Drop the vbar governor set your jive with 14t mode 6 idle 1 at 1650, or lower,id2 65 percent then let me know what you've found! You may be surprised
Stolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah Stolla, I am dropping the Vbar Gov, I think beside's from the ratio reality that Costas is mentioning, which I was orienting to, the Vbar Gov and its obliged KSA mode don't provide all the juice I am expecting, even for low rpm. At 1850 it's a beast, never thought I'd say this, but aaaaaaall of you were right. I ended up close to 1800. I even tried 1900 for 1 flight and felt it was over revved!!! My low rpm tests were 1400, 1450 and 1500. The Vbar Gov felt awful at 1400 so I ended the weekend using 1500 but I want to go back lower.

Next weekend it's the Xera 4530LE on HJive Gov. Back to basics since Jives have always been amazing in all my helis.

As for speed and 2000, I am building Rob's ex TDR as a speed machine. Will go 15t, Jive Gov and a Scorp 4525LE first, if I am not happy I am putting my second X4530.

Thanks, Marcos

Banshee #27, 2x TDR, Diabolo, Logo 690SX, Raptor E700, JR Sylphide E12 EX Super Gracy, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, Logo 550SE, Logo 400SE, JR Forza 450. Mikado Vcontrol.
marcosp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have never understood the need to use an external governor when the Jive internal governor works so well.
Kontronik Drives
Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have never understood the need to use an external governor when the Jive internal governor works so well.
Well, VBar governor is reportedly pro-active not reactive.

But I agree, simple setups work, then we start to introduce sensors, ESC/external gov incompatibilities etc.. and one may found that potential benefits are diminished by complexity and low reliability of the setup.

Long story short, if it isn't broken, don't fix it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in