Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 250 pro dfc (TT) Tail blades not turning with main gear if i resist them with finger

Hi guys is this normal? Trex 250 pro dfc torque tube. How much force should be required to keep the tail blades in one spot as I move the main gear? No issue in flight (so far) but I can do it with one finger. If i hold a littleI see the main gear is still turning the tail gear directly on it, but the umbrella gear just above (the one on same shaft) is not turning , so looks like slippage is happening between those 2 gears somewhere. Is this expected?
aussiefly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2015, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Never, replace the umbrella gear.

Look for threads on JB Welding the gear on. Once it the pulley gear shaft starts to spin in the gear, your going to lose the tail soon.

Besides the design flaw, I think a combination of heat and perhaps oils working up the pulley gear shift, cause it to loose grip on the pulley shaft. You'll see what I mean when you pull the gear, and pop off the umbrella gear from the shaft.
nflanagin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I am surprised that you have "no issue in flight." The gear you see slipping should not be slipping. You'll either have to find a way to lock the gear in place, such as suggest above, or convert to a belted tail system. After fiddling around with the TT gears for quite a while, I just converted over to the belted tail and I love the results. There are several thread around here that explain how to convert to a belt and what parts to purchase.
navigator2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2015, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Well, I am surprised that you have "no issue in flight." The gear you see slipping should not be slipping. You'll either have to find a way to lock the gear in place, such as suggest above, or convert to a belted tail system. After fiddling around with the TT gears for quite a while, I just converted over to the belted tail and I love the results. There are several thread around here that explain how to convert to a belt and what parts to purchase.
+1 on Belt Conversion
gimbleguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2015, 01:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I might look at belt conversion after first crash.

As for securing the umbrealla on the shaft I have some pretty strong super glue (Gorilla brand) that I used to put on the pinion on motor which hasnt failed . That should do it? Or I need something like the JB weld?
Old 11-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Give it shot. Ive only used jb weld, which is just a high strength 2 part epoxy. Make sure you put the glue on the inside of the gear, I use a toothpick, and not the pulley shaft or you will end up with glue on the bearing.
Agile 5.5, Logo 550sx, X5, Goblin 500, Oxy 3, Trex 450proV2, 250DFC #309
nflanagin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2015, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiefly View Post
Thanks guys, I might look at belt conversion after first crash.

As for securing the umbrealla on the shaft I have some pretty strong super glue (Gorilla brand) that I used to put on the pinion on motor which hasnt failed . That should do it? Or I need something like the JB weld?
If you want it to work well, and have confidence it will stay on use JB weld.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi guys is this normal? Trex 250 pro dfc torque tube. How much force should be required to keep the tail blades in one spot as I move the main gear? No issue in flight (so far) but I can do it with one finger. If i hold a littleI see the main gear is still turning the tail gear directly on it, but the umbrella gear just above (the one on same shaft) is not turning , so looks like slippage is happening between those 2 gears somewhere. Is this expected?

Hah got same problem just noticed yesterday buy not problem in flight
Skidoojoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidoojoe View Post
Hah got same problem just noticed yesterday buy not problem in flight
Ya i just put a bit of gorilla glue on it and it has held since. Some guys suggested using epoxy but te gorilla glue is holding for me anyway - I do a check every now and then.

If its not a problem in flight its up to yourself whether to put in the effort to fix it - i'd say it would be a gradual loss of tail authority rather than a sudden change but I'm no expert.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well turns out the gorilla glue wasn't strong enough

Tail gave on me during inverted flight (lucky it didn't hit me). I hit throttle hold about 2 seconds before impact - first thing I checked was holding tail blades while turning main gear and sure enough it turned without any resistance! Then I could see the dried layer of glue seemed to have come out of the shaft hole on the top of the umbrella gear forming a sort of circular layer above (outside) the gear. Grrr! - it seems the only damage done is the main blades (plastic ones) - so might have been lucky. I *think* the feathering shaft and main shaft are still straight - hard to know without taking them out which I don't think I'll bother doing this time.

For anyone with this issue - go with the advice above and use epoxy and not gorilla

I have now epoxied the gear on to the shaft. Hoping that holds.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
-snip-
I *think* the feathering shaft and main shaft are still straight - hard to know without taking them out which I don't think I'll bother doing this time.
-snip
You can check the shafts in situ, for the MS you can spool the heli up (without blades) and look at the head button from above. The screw hole in the middle should not get blurry, but remain a perfect circle.

For the FS remove blades and turn the shaft bolt on one grip. As this spins the FS, the opposing blade grip should not begin to move up/down or side to side. Sometimes hard to see, easier to feel with one thumb touching head block and blade grip.

Maybe not as accurate as rolling the shafts on glass, but this has worked for me since the mcpxs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in