Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Servo Arms for Align DS430M Servos?

I am looking for a better option. The stock arms flex a lot.

What spline are these servos and what are some of you gus using?

EDIT: do not use SAB 380 horns. Not worth it. Read post below.

Last edited by Michaelinpr; 11-26-2015 at 04:53 AM..
Michaelinpr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Futaba spline. Ive got a set of these servos on my 450 pro dfc w the stock horns work fine and I also have the same servos on my x3 but I have the orange breakaway horns on those and they work good as well. If you stiffen them up too much your gonna be changing gears and or servos on every crash.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)

Last edited by alyon187; 11-24-2015 at 09:19 PM..
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

The stock horns on them now are so flexable that they are actually bent so that the linkage ball is on an angle. With very little force I can see the arm twisting.

So....Futaba....BK micro arms or Sab micro arms should work.

I found that SAB G380 arms fit but the spacing is a little off. I will still try them. BK micro servo arms will work too and give plenty of options.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you have the retaining nut behind the linkage ball to secure it to the servo horn? If it's properly secured, there's no way on earth you could bend or flex that servo horn in flight. I'd be interested to see a video of these Align servo horns flexing as you say.

Sounds like the servo ball stripped and flexed out of its hole because it wasn't secured with the retaining nut. In other words, you screwed the linkage ball into the plastic servo horn and left it there- not anchored to the other side with the retaining nut. You can change the servo horns if you wish. But there's no way the Align servo horn bent or flexed in flight. The ball could flex free from the plastic servo horn if its not properly installed. But that plastic horn is not flexing on its own. No way.

I'd suggest you get new Align servo horns for 4 or 5 dollars or whatever... and install the linkage ball with the retaining nut and a little loc tite for good measure. Crank the retaining nut and the linkage ball at the same time. It will get surprisingly tight. Enjoy for many years, flex free.
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 04:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sorry I don't have a video. They may have not flexed in flight but believe me, the two front servo horns were twisted. The retaining nut and linkage ball were installed and tight. The one horn was so twisted that to get a proper mechanical set up I had to have the servo horn at about 10 off of 90 degrees to the servo.

I tried to get something cheap but all I could find locally was the SAB 380 horns. They worked but way to much filing to make them fit. The bind on the servo cases and the elevator horn had to filed a lot to not hit the tail case. The spacing is not quite the same either. It flies ok at 14mm spacing but I am thinking it isn't optimal.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you bent or twisted those servo horns in flight.. you have a major problem outside of the servo horns. Just saying.

Did you crash it and then try to set it up again? I don't understand how else you'd be trying to get a mechanical zero with a bent servo horn? They aren't designed to be crash proof. Quite the opposite.

If the servo horn is brand new and installed correctly, it will never bend on its own in flight. I've had the same servo horns for years.

They make servo horns that are even weaker than the Align. They actually break away. Even those can withstand the CCPM torque forces of a 450.
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

hello my name is Roberto i'm italian man sorry for my english write not good.
i' have servos align ds 430mg on my trex 450l dominator 6s.
the servo arm are good not problem with it.
the problem are the potentiometer inside servo.
i cannot find 3 servo ds 430mg with equal run for equal signal in microsec.
this is problem for right level swashplate ,for all position swashplate on main shaft.
i have system BRAIN , and i work on run positive and negative for every servo ciclos.for right level swashplate all run on main shaft.
thank you read me
aranciata is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can adjust servo travel on max and min collective in the brain advanced settings. That will solve your unequal travel
Old 11-28-2015, 03:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes i do it thank you
aranciata is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in