Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > CAD/CAM

CAD/CAM R/C Helicopter CAD/CAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default onshape.com

any one using Onshape.com?
Just stumble across it... looks pretty interesting.

https://www.onshape.com/product-tour
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

looks intriguing as well as a huge time saver compared to SketchUp Pro.

giving it a test run.

good find!!
Old 07-18-2015, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Onshape is awesome. I've switched over 100% for all my projects. Its amazing!
Old 07-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Ditto

i like it, and i dont know how to draw, but ive made to projects from there videos......i wish i had to monitors
cruzroy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks a lot badfrog for the link!

I never used any 3D program and this got me to designing my own parts within an afternoon! Now this sounds like bad advertising and I should probably add that I work a lot with the Adobe CS, so I´m not unfamiliar with "design" or how programs are structured. And the parts I made are really just simple belt pulleys. But this program is really as simple as it gets. I just watched the beginner video tuts to build their sample parts and rolled from there.

I´m still shocked how streamlined the whole process was, especially since I basically did not leave my browser window (WTF?!) until the parts were ordered via shapeways. And this is from a passionate hater of all things cloud, subscription etc!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dremel View Post

I´m still shocked how streamlined the whole process was, especially since I basically did not leave my browser window (WTF?!) until the parts were ordered via shapeways. And this is from a passionate hater of all things cloud, subscription etc!
Sure beats buying a solidworks license!!! I still cant believe the performance for not having the software run on your computer.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpngrnd View Post
Sure beats buying a solidworks license!!! I still cant believe the performance for not having the software run on your computer.
Yep, this was very surprising. I´m using a 4y old laptop and there seem to be no hiccups, not even the fans turn on. My guess is that the heavy lifting is done on their servers.

Now let´s hope the free Beta phase lasts. Although I must say this is the first time I would be willing to pay for a subscription, if it´s reasonably priced.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Onshape is a Great Program!

Onshape is a Great program and easy to use - Lots of great Videos to learn with. Check Wolfgang Walden's Tutorials on both Fusion 360 and Onshape - He has a video in both Fusion 360 and Onshape where he shows how to make an engine crankcase, at a slow enough pace that its easy to follow and he is very good at showing all the steps and the thought process flow. A good way to compare the programs.

I have found that there needs to be more than one tool in my Tool Box, so I own Spaceclaim, use Fusion 360 and now Onshape. As long as I can transfer files: .step, .dxf, and .dwg no problems. I can take advantage of each program's strong points and features. Onshape will now be most often used I think, but I will still use Spaceclaim and Fusion 360.

These programs will go through a Process of Evolution so we will see what the future brings as each company responds to competitive pressure.

CAD programs is like learning a language, it gets easier the more you learn - I think one's brain get rewired to learn new languages as you go along. Will like learning to fly, first it was Freeflight, then U-Control, then R/C Airplanes, then Helicopters, then Multirotors ...... Some of the things one learns is applied to the next thing one wants to learn. Or just the process of wanting to learn something makes it easier as you go along.

A couple of Hamburgers and a few fewer cups of Starbucks coffee will pay for a monthly subscription to Onshape, I think Fusion 360 is a little more, and Spaceclaim is a lot more but less than Solid Works.

There is a free version of Spaceclaim ( an older version ) from Designspark
for PCs.

DesignSpark http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalD...ark-mechanical [/URL]

Onshape is a great choice and since it is Cloud-Browser based it can be run on just about every platform, I have it on my PC, iPad Mini, MacBook Pro and my Mac, all run just fine. I do wish there was an off line version for those times when I don't have access to the internet - but then again when one is on a small island just off Tahiti maybe one should do something other than fooling with the internet! Like It is Time for a " Mind Reset! "
Old 03-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Onshape was better when it was completely free. Fusion is excellent, but no Solidworks. By the way if you join EAA, you get access to the educational version of Solidworks for free. Yeah a legit version of Solidworks for about $40 a year.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membe...rom-solidworks
ppljr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am learning OnShape to build a 1:16 scale fuselage of a Bell 222UT for my B400/450. Has been a long time since I have used an Autocad program. So.... a little slow going here. A lot of items to complete. Stretch, fuselage and so on. Wish me luck!😁😁😁
Bosn1972 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in