Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpilledCrown View Post
It sounds like you guys recommend getting a sim FIRST because you've all done it the hard way with heli-first training.
I've decided that I will get Realflight 7.5 (I'm in Canada so Heli-X is out of the question for NOW) and later maybe get a Trex 150/MCPX BL or 250, or even a 450 after I become solid in the simulator.

Thanks guys!!
Im curious as to why you cant get heli-x in canada?
MotorG525 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm from Canada and I have it.. very curious in why as well....
mgfiest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oh, I thought that, if heliX was a package, it would only be in the UK/Germany. I'll look into that as well then.
SpilledCrown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Where in Canada are you?
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am in the suburbs very close to Toronto (Richmond Hill)
Old 08-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have family in Richmond Hill, Still do the Wonderland thing every summer! I'm just about 3 hours west of you. Just outside Sarnia Ontario.
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
I have family in Richmond Hill, Still do the Wonderland thing every summer! I'm just about 3 hours west of you. Just outside Sarnia Ontario.
Oh, well that's actually really cool!
Old 08-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Minimize your frustration

I've seen a lot of people recommend the MCPX BL.
I have 3 MCPX BLs.
I don't recommend one for you.

They are expensive to fly, they fry tail motors constantly, main boards at least once or twice a year, and things like the landing gear and frame break way too easily. It adds up fast, both cost and frustration.

Frustration has been the killer of many newbies excitement about this hobby. If I were you I would get something simple, cheap and bulletproof first, and then get a sim second. If you get a MCPX BL, it may eat up so much money it may limit your future options if you are on a budget.

Good choices would be a used MCPX, a Hisky HCP100S with a Spektrum satellite or even maybe a V911 with the bigger transmitter.

The MCPX is cheap and crashes way cheaper than the BL. It's a little low on power for 3D, but that also means it's less intimidating. It's great for sport flying and does ok at 3D if you pause a few seconds between stunts.

The HCP100S is very rugged, way more powerful than the MCPX BL, $83 (+DSMX satellite) from the Banggood US warehouse, and parts are stupid cheap. But it may be intimidating, it can really rip holes in the sky. I fly hard, nonstop 3D with the throttle at 40.

The V911 with the bigger transmitter from the V912 or V913 would be great for orientation training and indoor flying. It is the most bulletproof heli ever made, but is only 4 channel so 3D is out. It's better than a quad because you get all the heli characteristics caused by a tail rotor and it's dirt cheap. I still fly mine in the bedroom when I'm bored in the winter.

Also somebody mentioned the V120D02s. It's very rugged if you add a slipper clutch to the tail and replace the main shaft pins with copper wire. It's also the best handling of this group, but bigger is always more expensive. If you try to fly a 250 or larger on a budget, you may not get much flying in because you can't easily afford a backup heli and a large box of spares like the 100 class helis.
Extreme Air Ninja 3.6 Channel

Last edited by BirdBarber; 08-09-2015 at 08:21 PM..
BirdBarber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpilledCrown View Post
Whoops, I accidentally wrote Trex 120 instead of 150 lol.

Is the Walkera v120 easy to fly/learn with? I'm starting to lean more towards either a sim or a small heli like the ones suggested.
The V120 is one of the easiest CP 3D capable helis out there. The 6 axis FBL system is great, as soon as you let go of the cyclic it self levels. It doesn't mean it won't crash into something if you do something stupid, but it keeps it in the air should you lose orientation. IMO for newbies, it is even better than bailout, no button to try to find. If you do crash, its very durable, I've crashed probably 15 times and only broken parts once.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakky View Post
The V120 is one of the easiest CP 3D capable helis out there. The 6 axis FBL system is great, as soon as you let go of the cyclic it self levels....
+1

Also, the stability is adjustable via a cyclic gain knob on the receiver. Turn it up when you first start flying. Later, turn it down to make it twitchier for faster stunt response. If you put a Microline slipper clutch on the tail gears and replace the main shaft metal pins with copper wire the crash cost averages way under $1 per crash.

If you sell your DX7 and pick up a used Devo 8S transmitter for $100-$130 and load the Deviation firmware on it then it can fly both Blade and Walkera helis. They have a color touch screen, 12 channels, telemetry, 255 model memory, DSMX, DSM2, Devo and a bunch of other protocols. Devention is easy to install because most Walkera transmitters have a built in USB port for loading firmware and backing up your transmitter models to your PC. They also work on Phoenix and RealFlight sims using the standard sim cables.
Extreme Air Ninja 3.6 Channel
BirdBarber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBarber View Post
I've seen a lot of people recommend the MCPX BL.
I have 3 MCPX BLs.
I don't recommend one for you.

They are expensive to fly, they fry tail motors constantly, main boards at least once or twice a year, and things like the landing gear and frame break way too easily. It adds up fast, both cost and frustration.

Frustration has been the killer of many newbies excitement about this hobby. If I were you I would get something simple, cheap and bulletproof first, and then get a sim second. If you get a MCPX BL, it may eat up so much money it may limit your future options if you are on a budget.

Good choices would be a used MCPX, a Hisky HCP100S with a Spektrum satellite or even maybe a V911 with the bigger transmitter.

The MCPX is cheap and crashes way cheaper than the BL. It's a little low on power for 3D, but that also means it's less intimidating. It's great for sport flying and does ok at 3D if you pause a few seconds between stunts.

The HCP100S is very rugged, way more powerful than the MCPX BL, $83 (+DSMX satellite) from the Banggood US warehouse, and parts are stupid cheap. But it may be intimidating, it can really rip holes in the sky. I fly hard, nonstop 3D with the throttle at 40.

The V911 with the bigger transmitter from the V912 or V913 would be great for orientation training and indoor flying. It is the most bulletproof heli ever made, but is only 4 channel so 3D is out. It's better than a quad because you get all the heli characteristics caused by a tail rotor and it's dirt cheap. I still fly mine in the bedroom when I'm bored in the winter.

Also somebody mentioned the V120D02s. It's very rugged if you add a slipper clutch to the tail and replace the main shaft pins with copper wire. It's also the best handling of this group, but bigger is always more expensive. If you try to fly a 250 or larger on a budget, you may not get much flying in because you can't easily afford a backup heli and a large box of spares like the 100 class helis.

Thanks for your input. The Hisky looks like a good option but I am just wondering, is my DX7 compatible with the 'Spektrum satellite' on the Hisky?

EDIT: Nevermind, you have to buy the satellite RECIEVER.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in