Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Heli-Max Helicopters

Heli-Max Helicopters Heli-Max Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
Thank you, WEFlyer and all who contributed to this thread.

I have been flying helis (and fixed wing) for years now but for some reason, I still don't have the courage to do loops or flips. I've done a few bad flips and loops with my 450 and 500 helis and some did not end happily. The problem is that I can easily do it in the sim and yet when it comes to actual model flying, my thumbs and my heartbeat just don't get in synched . I hope this little heli will help me get more stick time and confidence .
I can relate, and I was learning with several of my buddies who were all screaming past me in abilities.

A couple things that helped me was learning to hover inverted on the sim first, then a full flip is two half flips, it makes it more comfortable.

Another thing, you can adjust the "Physics Speed" on the sim (I use RealFlight), which will make everything seem to be happening in slow motion. You might try starting with 50% and as you get the hang of it step it up until you're back to 100%.
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you, RobO for the tips. Will add that to my list
ricoalonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default A9 anylink

Has anybody experienced the Aurora 9 with the anylink? For some reason it is showing PPM when powered and seems to not bind with correct control response no mater which 2 channel mapping choices I use.

Thanks for any help
FlyingFool is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default swashplate

And one more question. Hitec gives you a choice of 1 or 3 servo 90 deg. I assume it is 3 servo?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

FlyingFool,

You need to choose 1 servo setup, not 3 servo. I don't have the Aurora, but that should solve the problem. Almost all 3 axis gyros today require the transmitter to be in 1 servo.

Justin
ssproud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply. I put it on 1 servo and had to change my P CURVES kinda at an odd setting but it is flying somewhat decent. I'm learning. haha
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

most FBL system setting is 90/1 servo, except align old 3g
Old 11-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got mine yesterday and have been flying it in the basement. One thing I can't understand is that the heli keeps drifting to the right (viewed from tail-in hover) no matter how I adjusted the links to have the swash tilt a little to the left. I have to constantly push the Ail stick to the left to make it stay. Once I release the stick, the heli would immediately drift to the right. I would have expected the reverse (drifting to the left) just like bigger helis.

Anyone noticed this and if there is another way to correct this aside from mechanical adjustments thru the swash-to-servo links?

Thanks,
Rico.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My bird did this initially then it went away after 10 flights +\-. I never figured it out but maybe it was how the bird initialized before I set it down. Just a thought.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I got mine yesterday and have been flying it in the basement. One thing I can't understand is that the heli keeps drifting to the right (viewed from tail-in hover) no matter how I adjusted the links to have the swash tilt a little to the left. I have to constantly push the Ail stick to the left to make it stay. Once I release the stick, the heli would immediately drift to the right. I would have expected the reverse (drifting to the left) just like bigger helis.

Anyone noticed this and if there is another way to correct this aside from mechanical adjustments thru the swash-to-servo links?

Thanks,
Rico.
Hit throttle hold when you connect battery, check fỏr swásh balance, bẻfỏre you turn off throttle hold, place helicopter on flat surface raise throttle will active the FBL unit. If you fly with stock TX, make sure it in not in set up mode, no mix on display
Old 11-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks. Yes, I made sure the bird is on a flat level surface while it is initializing and I always have the TH Hold ON while connecting the Batt.. I also checked and made sure no Mixing is active in my Tx (8FG using AnyLink module). Swash is currently tilting a bit to the left an yet still drifts to the right.

Maybe I am dealing with some balancing issues. I noticed it is somewhat nose heavy when I carefully lift it from the main blade holders. Maybe it needs some dead weights at the aft-left of the skid. Will try that.

Thanks,
Rico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis View Post
My bird did this initially then it went away after 10 flights +\-. I never figured it out but maybe it was how the bird initialized before I set it down. Just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer101 View Post
Hit throttle hold when you connect battery, check fỏr swásh balance, bẻfỏre you turn off throttle hold, place helicopter on flat surface raise throttle will active the FBL unit. If you fly with stock TX, make sure it in not in set up mode, no mix on display
Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks. Yes, I made sure the bird is on a flat level surface while it is initializing and I always have the TH Hold ON while connecting the Batt.. I also checked and made sure no Mixing is active in my Tx (8FG using AnyLink module). Swash is currently tilting a bit to the left an yet still drifts to the right.

Maybe I am dealing with some balancing issues. I noticed it is somewhat nose heavy when I carefully lift it from the main blade holders. Maybe it needs some dead weights at the aft-left of the skid. Will try that.

Thanks,
Rico.
did you check the servos,, could be bad servo...connect the battery / raise the throttle - pitch stick up and down (while throttle hold ON) cheeck if all the servo moving event ?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, all 3 servos moving smoothly together during pitch up/down and function normally. Maybe it's more of the TAGS doing this. I'll just keep it flying for a while and see.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine had very slight drift. Went away after several flights. Flies perfect now.
May have been vibes or torque related to motor breaking in. Not sure.

R71D
Sent from my phone, excuse the bad grammar and auto corrections.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it can be caused by some vibrations, it may be is what's causing it... I can feel some vibes like and imbalance blade if I hold it in my hand (steady) and spool it up. I can also notice some shake at spool down. Maybe I can weigh the blades and see if I can get rid of it.

Not really a big deal since I can still hover and fly around. It's just that it's annoying since I have to keep a light pressure on the Ail stick to the right.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I was able to eliminate the vibes by adjusting the tightness of the main blade screw. However, the drift to the right is still there.

One thing I noticed is that when the FBL unit is active (that is THR Hold OFF) and while I bring the Throttle stick slowly up, as the blade turns, I can also see the servos going up (pitch up) but the one on the left goes higher than the one on the right so that the swash would eventually tilt a little to the right. However, when the FBL unit is not active (that is THR Hold ON), I can see that all servos moves at equal distance/rate and keeps the swash level. Can this be a sign of bad FBL unit? Or, is there some adjustments that can be done?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

I stripped a gear in one of my servos. So I'll have to see if the LHS has some in stock. Was wondering when one of them would give up the ghost. Fast inverted circuits obviously need work on my part.

I just received some Fusuno main blades and KBDD tail blades for the mCPX. They are a direct fit, but I'll have to wait to see how they fly. I thought I'd try the Fusuno blades out. If they don't fly well I'll try some KBDD. The stock blades fly fine, just wanted some higher visibility.

Also picked up some Glacier 250mAh 20C packs. They are too wide for the stock battery holder. I'll have to mod the holder in order to get these in there.

Having a blast with this little bird. Getting me better with collective management (which still needs work).
Old 12-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

@Ranger71d

How many flights have you had on it? I've been asked to recommend a beginner heli for someone's daughter who is 15 yrs. old. She loves helis. I personally have no plans for a micro and have no experience with any. But if I were to pick one up, this one would be the most likely. I want her to get Phoenix. Does anyone know if the RTF tx is compatible with Phoenix? I was thinking of recommending a TX maybe a DX6i and the AnyLink module along with Phoenix.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

For a first heli this may not be a good option. Micro CP helis may be a bit too frustrating for a first heli.
Its durable though. I quit counting after 60 flights. So far one boom and one stripped servo. I have to say I'm pushing hard to improve. So I'm crashing a lot. Most times I put it skids down and fly away.

Helimax has two FP micro. One looks like the CP (pod and boom).
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCPJT&P=0

The other has a Hughes 500 body. One of these might be my son's first heli.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCPTA&P=0

+1 on a sim. I use RF. So I don't know about any others. I believe the DX6i is Phoenix compatible. Don't quote me on that though.

I started out with a DX6i. Was a good first radio for me personally. Cheap and can grow with a new pilot. Rx easily available and relatively cheap. Was easy to sell here on HF when I upgraded.

The DX6i is Any link compatible. When you purchase the Any link it comes with a cable for the DX6i. The tech notes at the bottom of the linked page has some info.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBPKF&P=M

I'm not a Tower employee. Its just the shop I got mine from. So its just fast for me to get the links from their website.
I don't want to give the impression that I'm representing Tower or Helimax.
There are several retailers of Helimax stuff. And several micro heli manufacturers. My only recommendation is use a store that you feel comfortable with.

Hope that I answered your questions. And good luck!

R71D
Sent from my phone, excuse the bad grammar and auto corrections.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf1852 View Post
@Ranger71d

How many flights have you had on it? I've been asked to recommend a beginner heli for someone's daughter who is 15 yrs. old. She loves helis. I personally have no plans for a micro and have no experience with any. But if I were to pick one up, this one would be the most likely. I want her to get Phoenix. Does anyone know if the RTF tx is compatible with Phoenix? I was thinking of recommending a TX maybe a DX6i and the AnyLink module along with Phoenix.
I have been using Real Flight off and on for the last two years practicing hoovering (I have been working on airplane skills mostly) and if you are going to recommend getting this micro, I would recommend to the person to get the general feel for hovering orientation on Phoenix first, then fly this. I skipped the FP stage completely.

While this micro is definitely durable, it can get away fast. So far, after about 12 flights, just a minor nick to a blade. I would recommend helping her to understand throttle hold to help save stripping things. While durable I think throttle hold has help me from stripping the gears so far as I have snap on a rug at least times so far. Basement is partially covered and I have skidded into the rug. Those rug crashes look just like on a flight simulator jumping into the air and spinning a tight violent circle.

First day of practice outside I was about 8 feet in the air and a gust of wind took it over my head and then to the roof to my left due to being in somewhat enclosed area that causes the wind to swirl. In the basement where the space is tighter, I over corrected too hard once and it got away from me fast. Sim practice has been a big help.

I bought 4 batteries and they seem to take about 20 mins a piece to charge.
WEFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in