Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AR6210 satellite receiver no light, except in BIND

I've got a DX6i (DSM2) and an AR6210 (DSMX). During Bind the led's in both the main receiver and satellite both blink rapidly. After the bind is complete, the main receiver led comes on solid, but the satellite goes out. Anybody else seen this? Is it because of compatibility issue between DSM2 and DSMX? Is my satellite even working??

FYI: This is an installation into a T-rex 500 3G flybarless.
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Two thoughts; are you using the satellite rx which came with the AR6210? Are you leaving the radio in bind mode until both rx lights come on solid?

You cannot mix DSMX and DSM2 main and satellite components e.g. the DSMX main unit must have a DSMX satellite and the DSM2 main units must have DSM2 satellites.

If both rx's do not turn on solid when binding, then the binding is not complete. It's not unusual for the satellites to take a bit longer to come on solid. If the satellite doesn't come on solid during binding, try moving the tx a bit further away like 3 or 4 feet from the model and/or make sure there isn't a lot of metal or florescent lights in the area.

If none of that works, try changing the satellite rx lead as those sometimes get damaged with the tiny wires and pins used on those leads. If that doesn't work trying another satellite rx would be the next step. It doesn't happen often, but on rare occasion I've seen guys report getting bad satellites right out of the box.
zeb29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi zeb,

I did a quick "process of elimination" check tonight and I am 99.9% sure it is a dud satellite Rx. I used the DSMX satellite from my 7010 on the 6210 and the bind worked great. I put the suspected dud on the on the 7010, same result - and it wouldn't even bind on the main Rx! After returning the satellites to their original receivers, 6210 still a dud, 7010 just as good as before.

Everything is DSMX except the transmitter (DSM2 DX6i)

I eliminated some other variables to, such as no nearby active cell phones or wireless routers.

This is some used equipment I am dealing with here, so I guess I can't be too surprised. I will go get a new satellite from my LHS and report back here with the good news - hopefully
Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like it is a bad remote.Just remember what zeb said above.The replacement must be a DSMX remote.Im not sure about loose replacement remotes that were shipped prior to or since DSMX public announcement but there are remotes that have a DSM2 case that are actually DSMX such as the ones that were packaged with the AR8000s
in the DX8.If you look at the numbers on the back of the remote there will be an X with the number.This means that it is actually a DSMX remote even if it has a case that says DSM2.Confusing I know but that is the way it is.(Thanks HH) Your LHS should be aware of this but not all are.Its a good thing to keep in mind for the future too when stuff may get mixed up. Just because the case says DSM2 doesnt mean it is until you check the back for an X with the numbers.An X back there means it is DSMX.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow. That's an interesting situation with the case mix-up. This ordeal has made me somewhat nervous about using a questionable Rx in my shiny new heli. I just ordered a brand new AR6210 from A-main. The DSMX remote receiver alone is $40, so the extra $40 is totally worth it.

With the new 500 I need to charge 6s Lipos now, so I also ordered a Thunder Power TP610C AC/DC charger at the same time. With discounted shipping, all up it was less than $200.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggleStix View Post
Wow. That's an interesting situation with the case mix-up. This ordeal has made me somewhat nervous about using a questionable Rx in my shiny new heli. I just ordered a brand new AR6210 from A-main. The DSMX remote receiver alone is $40, so the extra $40 is totally worth it.
Well it wasn't a "case mix-up" as aerocal noted....

Three Spektrum rx's have been DSMX capable from day one including the AR8000. When those first started hitting the streets, guys were having issues with satellite rx's when they tried to use a satellite other than what came with the AR8000. It was finally somewhat explained that the AR8000 used a "high speed" satellite and so you could not use the older satellite rx's.

It was in fact the DSMX/DSM2 incompatibility issue but Horizon wasn't talking about it as DSMX had not been announced let alone released and thus aerocal's comment about "thanks HH".

So yeah the new DSMX satellites have a big "X" molded right into the case but the originals say DSM2 and you HAVE to check the part number on the back....
Old 07-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Zeb,

Here's what it says on the back of my satellite receiver.

Model No. 9645
FCC ID: BRWDASRX10
U.S. Patent 7,391,320

It does have the large X molded on the front of the case. Where does the "X" appear on the DSM2 cased satellites that are actually DSMX? In the model number?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm..... made me go dig out my AR8000 and look again to make sure.... lol

Both the main rx unit and the satellite have small white stickers with numbers on them which in my case read "HE012X" on the satellite and one of the two stickers on the main unit says the same. The other sticker on the main unit says "HS012X".

Now IIRC.... lol, anything with a DSM2 molded into the case or saying DSM2 on the label, but having these little stickers with part numbers ending in "X" are DSMX units.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I looked at one of mine again after I posted that. The X that denotes it as a DSMX in a DSM2 case is on a sticker inside the case on the back.You can see it through the plastic case.I was thinking it was along with the numbers that are usually in there but its actually just an X on a sticker inside the back of the case stuck on the board itself.
HELIFREAK !!!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info. guys. I got my new toys yesterday, and everything is working fine now. I haven't tried mix'n'match with my new Rx to confirm, but why tempt fate - who knows why that satellite was bad? (a rhetorical question)

I saw another post on the forum while browsing today about Spektrum satellites suddenly "going out" when used on the new Align 3GX system. Seems there will be more fun in store with the little beasties to come.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

so mine have a solid light on the rx (ar7000) after binding, but the sat continues to blink.
keeping in mind that i bind it using a 3s lipo for hte esc rather than a 6s it's for my nx50.
would the latter make a difference?
thanks.
prophead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophead View Post
so mine have a solid light on the rx (ar7000) after binding, but the sat continues to blink.
keeping in mind that i bind it using a 3s lipo for hte esc rather than a 6s it's for my nx50.
would the latter make a difference?
thanks.
If the BEC in the ESC is rated for use with 6S it shouldnt matter either way.
If your saying that when you bind and power with the bind plug in and you get fast blink on both but when you power radio in bind only the main goes dark and then gets solid but the remote continues to fast blink the whole time?
If yes I would first try to replace the connector cable to the remote.
If it was a replacement or swapped remote make sure its not DSMX.
It may just be another bad remote.When you mount them try to have some kind of vibration dampening mount like gyro foam or even velcro.Zipstrip or servo tape straight to the frame on a nitro will shake them to death.
HELIFREAK !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in