Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 10 and 11T pinion ?

Hi Guys

Is there anywhere i can find a 10 and 11 T pinion for my t-rex/copterx 500

I spooled up with the 13t using an align 70G esc, throttle limited to 75% already and at only 34% throttle stick position my headspeed is where i want it, be it a little too fast already !

I'm using a 6s battery.
spinzer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

where do you think the headspeed needs to be? the 500 needs very high headspeed to be stable

did you actually tach the head?
Deet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 04:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Deet

Ok let me try and explain:

I know you guys want figures, i can't give it to you, here's what i can tell you:

I have a t-rex 450 and 600, i have been flying for 5 years and though i cannot give you figures
i can tell you that the headspeed on the 500, is much much faster than on my 450 and 600.
i'm estimating my 450 and 600 at 1600-1700 rpm's
I can tell the difference between mild headspeed and a flaming headspeed, that i can promise you.

The 500 headspeed is fast not flaming hot but fast, i see a 13T is also on the top of the list on align's chart for using 6s with, obviously meant for 3d guys, and i just want to hover.

If i give collective at the abovementioned 34 % this heli will lift up solidly into a hover, there are no tail vibes, or extremely little vibes at that headspeed also, it feels solid and the tail response is also solid. on the ground.

Now i did not change the esc travel on my transmitter, i've just lowered the curve to 75%

Don't know if i should lower the actual throttle travel, but either way if i do, the esc will be running hot.

So is there any place on earth that sells 10, 11T pinions, i find they are extremely rare like hens teeth. ??
Old 09-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

heck you should be running around 3k rpm on a 450 on a 600 around 2k or a little less and on a 500 at least 2500 but 2600-2800 rpm is preferred on a 500 some run it up to 3k rpm.

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What pinion do you have on your 450 and what max throttle do you use with it? I think you might be way off on your guestimates.

As far as the 500 goes, anything below 2200 headspeed and you'll most likely get a lot of bobbing. I would use the 13t with 80% throttle which should put you somewhere around 2500.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

the 500 by far has the loudest gear noise of that range 450-600 align helis so it may be that high pitched whine that you are hearing that makes it sound like its going so fast. but on a stock motor i would not reccomend going below a 12t.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

3k lol ! i will never go that high, let me shock you some more:
i used a 3s battery on the 450. I just cannot understand why everyone talks high headspeed heli is unstable below 2000 etc... etc when in actual fact i have proven to myself that my heli's the 450 and 600, flies solid on now mentioned power systems,
and that at 5000 feet asl ! My 600 is solid with a 6s and 10 tooth pinion ! (i'm not doing crazy things here, i do mild figure 8s ! )

Moreover my 450's 40 amp controller is mild after each flight.

My 450 had an 11 Teeth on it (i say had because it was sucked to it's fate by what the us people call a dust devil and that on a cliff) A sad day it was, however this is about the 500 lol.

So, i hear people say the 500 likes nothing less than 2200, i can assure you that is what it's at at 34% throttle or more. There is no bobbing and wagging and i did a 180 on the ground with the tail, it does not show vibration issues. tail response is crisp.

All i need to do is add 5-6 degree pitch and it will smooth in easily into hover. however i am worried about the esc working on it's low power band.

So again, is 10 and 11 teeth pinions for 500s a myth in our rc flying world ?

If so all i can think of is lower the throttle travel to 60% and up my thottle curve to 100%

Still will have too much power but should be slightly better i hope.... sigh...
Old 09-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

here is a video of what a 500 will do if your head speed is too low

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lehg6o2qDs[/ame]

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

a 3s battery is the norm for the 450 but i gaurantee you unless your throttle curve is at 30% all the way across or less there is no way you are running the head speed at 1600-1700.

do you have an android phone? if so download "heli-headspeed" its an auditory tach that is very accurate. and get us some non gestimated numbers to work with.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

http://www.readyheli.com/RevCo-Hard-...e_p_33777.html there ya go bro, instead of telling you why you CAN't do something...I figured you might actually like a response to the question you asked. Had the same issue running on 12s on my 500...happy flying!
helihaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Danny sure i agree, however i have flown heli's for long enough to notice signs of too low headspeed. Regarding precisely knowing the headspeed (i heard of the android tach using sound waves to detect headspeed very nice !) but i don't have an android ) Wish there was some pc software that could be used.)

WA, no,no, there were no limits imposed on the 450, travel was 100 % and throttle curve was something like 50-55-75-100 as far as i can recall (still miss my 450..sigh,
but replaced it now with the 500)

HH, aaaah thank you sir

And btw, what would be the reasons for not using a 10 and 11T with 6s on the 500 ?
stripping gears won't be an issue for my power band range will be out of 3d boundries, i don't need an angry machine.

So guess i'll order 10 and a 11, hope if they say it's in stock it actually IS in stock lol...
btw i notice those pinions don't go as low as the hk/align pinions, i assume they will work with align/copterx correct ?

Thanks guys
Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

I would imagine with the small diameter of the pinion, the motor shaft does not go completely through, so you may have to dremel the end of your motor shaft to get the proper pinion height. see no problem at all with it...it is always better to get your motor/esc working together in the upper rpm band, then adjust your headspeed with gearing.

Like you I fly mine alot more sedately than most...i dont care for all the flip flopping back and forth...and couldnt do it even if i wanted to..mine are quite CAPABLE of doing it, just dont care for it..much prefer cooler temps and longer flights.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helihaven View Post
I would imagine with the small diameter of the pinion, the motor shaft does not go completely through, so you may have to dremel the end of your motor shaft to get the proper pinion height. see no problem at all with it...it is always better to get your motor/esc working together in the upper rpm band, then adjust your headspeed with gearing.

Like you I fly mine alot more sedately than most...i dont care for all the flip flopping back and forth...and couldnt do it even if i wanted to..mine are quite CAPABLE of doing it, just dont care for it..much prefer cooler temps and longer flights.

sheez cut the motor shaft is not what i would be wanting to do, i have ordered the pinions, i hope they fit right through or i hope i can leave it as far as they would go in without cutting anything. Are you saying the pinion is narrower at the top than the bottom ?
say 5mm at bottom and 4mm at top ? they aren't to cheap either i must say for pinions.

"it is always better to get your motor/esc working together in the upper rpm band, then adjust your headspeed with gearing."

That's what i want

"much prefer cooler temps and longer flights"

Exactly

If the pinion does not go right through, maybe i should cancel my order and get these ??? :

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/rev...0t-p-14145.html
Old 09-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

same company right? probably wont have any issues...revco is the only company i have found that makes a mod 6 pinion for a 5mm shaft with less than 13 teeth...so i would imagine its the exact same one you already ordered...cutting the motor shaft down is no big deal, dremel rotary tool and a cutoff wheel and poof you are done...even scorpion says to do so on their own site if your shaft is too long.

In fact...i had to cut off a good 10-12mm or so on my scorpion 4025-630 when i put it in my 500...
Old 09-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Keep in mind when you go that little number of teeth on the pinion your gear strip potential goes up as you decrease the number of teeth (contact patch) making contact with the main gear. May be an non-issue but the fact remains.
rotaryguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helihaven View Post
same company right? probably wont have any issues...revco is the only company i have found that makes a mod 6 pinion for a 5mm shaft with less than 13 teeth...so i would imagine its the exact same one you already ordered...cutting the motor shaft down is no big deal, dremel rotary tool and a cutoff wheel and poof you are done...even scorpion says to do so on their own site if your shaft is too long.

In fact...i had to cut off a good 10-12mm or so on my scorpion 4025-630 when i put it in my 500...
problem is i don't have a dremel, o well i mailed them to ask if it will fit, if not i said i will cancel the order. but thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I read on both sites they list the part nr as:

HO-0600LH-10T

I hope the readyheli one is the same long on as the uk site one and i hope that the picture on the readyheli one is not the correct one.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

yah the pic on readyheli is just a generic revco pinion pic...and rotary guy is quite correct....you want the slowest possible spoolup you can get with that few teeth on your pinion or you will strip the teeth on your main gear with a quickness
Old 09-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds good so i should get the long pinion shown on the uk site ! Thanks

Regarding the lesser contact area, that's why i explained above that i will not be pushing this machine to make it hurt like in 3d, i'm just hovering and circuits, power/pitch changes will be mild, if i need to bail out if in trouble by adding power quickly, well, i'll have to figure that out, maybe decrease full pitch to 70 % or bring the throttle curve down a bit.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

just on your point from your original question spinzer

if you are getting to grips with the 500 the a normal 0 / 45 / 75 / 75 / 75 would give you a more ( lazy responce ) and easier to control. it depend if you are flying in norm or sprt throttle curve but you should be about the 0 / 50 / 80 / 80 / 80 mark on average

the real ? i saw was your comment about a hot esc and im confused the head speed has nothing to do with the esc current

on the 500 you set a constant on the esc 5.5v is the norm but a lot of users set it to 6v - watch a finless bob video on esc setup to define how to setup the esc if unsure.

for your style of flying as you relay hovering and lazy 8's add some Duel Rate and expo to soften the responces and bring the heli to a place where it handles how you want it to. example elev and aile 70% expo 35% and smooth the tail by adding expo and dr also

i found it made the heli much more enjoyable and found settings that matched the way i fly

i have freinds with 450 helis and they definatley have a much higher setting untell we did some changes and it made a twitchy irratic heli into a much more controllable beast

i still have plenty of grunt to pull out of an issue or loop when required

happy flying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in