Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 04:50 AM   #1901 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, try this and let me know.

dvr ranger test (12 min 48 sec)

Sent Jim an email to update the osd info.
The battery computation is incorrect as mah's is set for default.
I, also, want gps coordinates constantly displayed, for dvr recording playback purposes.

The little directional arrow with display is wind direction and knots. Took me a moment to figure this out.

In the brackets, right side is altitude with climb rate indicator.
Left side is air speed in knots over ground with wind calculated into the equation.

Here's the osd operation guide, for those interested.

http://uthere.com/products/osd/opera...operation.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #1902 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Yea! View Post
Andy try hooking up to MP then take your TX to a different room of the house then go see what MP says it is doing.
What am I trying to achieve here Chad? Are you thinking it might go out of range in the house because of the walls? If so, I'm not convinced I can get it out of range inside, even if I try to line up a few walls.

Actually that would be really easy to test because I would be able to hear my lost model alarm, and if I can keep turning it off by changing the channel value that it monitors, I would still be in range.

I'll give that a go, because it's quick. If it's still in range, through the maximum of 5 walls that I can achieve, then I could press the range test button, and try that. If it's still in range, then I'll have to find another way.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #1903 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstoy2 View Post
Sorry, try this and let me know.

Sent Jim an email to update the osd info.
The battery computation is incorrect as mah's is set for default.
I, also, want gps coordinates constantly displayed, for dvr recording playback purposes.

The little directional arrow with display is wind direction and knots. Took me a moment to figure this out.

In the brackets, right side is altitude with climb rate indicator.
Left side is air speed in knots over ground with wind calculated into the equation.

Here's the osd operation guide, for those interested.
Loving that Tom. I guess also displayed is direction to home, distance from home, and required time to get to home at current speed, all as denoted by the little house.

I liked watching the house be right in the centre, and than as you flew past yourself it flicked to the complete opposite.

Couldn't work out why it showed mAh, and then could kind of see Ah written again, sort of behind it?

Still, regardless of that small thing, excellent stuff there.

I am going to have to make a big purchase, which I didn't want to do. My goggles just won't cut it. Yesterday I went out in the moist and humid conditions between rain showers, at they were totally useless. I was almost completely fogged out in seconds, and nothing I could do about it. Completely ruined the short time I had available for any sort of tests, or even a little fun.

Could have flown around LOS, but where's the fun in that.

Cheers

Sutty
Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #1904 (permalink)
Registered Users

Think a ski goggle mod might help you out?
Old 08-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #1905 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Will have to look that up Tom. I can imagine what it is, but how it's accomplished etc, no clue at the moment. I'll check it out later.

Cheers

Sutty
Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 PM   #1906 (permalink)
Registered Users

They sell a DIY kit.

It's pretty common to do. Ski goggles are breatheable and improved fit eliminates light from entering, not to mention comfort.

http://fliteevolution.com/product/cl...pv-goggle-kit/
Old 08-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #1907 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not had time to look yet Tom, but that looks like the sort of thing I could do with for sure, just not for my goggles, but I will look around when I have time. Right now I am on the trail of a couple of steering ball joints for my cub cadet.

So far I can only seem to find them in the USA. Been searching for ages, and am getting pissed off now. So tired of searching for things on the PC today, I'm knackered and off to bed.

I've got a video to post up, but cba working on it tonight, and nor did I have time, so I'll have to look at it tomorrow.

Cheers

Sutty
Old 09-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #1908 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here is the first effort from the 3D gimbal. Unless I missed something, but I don't think I did, there is no pan available with this gimbal, only stabalisation on yaw. What I'm saying is there are only two controllable options, roll and tilt. Not that it bothers me, as it isn't needed, as I discussed previously, the craft will yaw easily enough for pan, but it surprsied me.

Anyway, I'm happy with the results, but then things started to go wrong. Watch the whole thing if you like, but if you just want to see it go funky watch from 4:30 minutes onwards. I get some unwanted roll, might have been my fault, as I selected the wrong lever, not sure, but I thought I'd returned it to centre, but then at 7:15 minutes it just goes completely freaky on every axis.

I checked the wiring, and all was well, in fact after a power cycle all was well then anyway. Today, after having wired a ground to the control signals leads, just in case it was important, it has performed for two full flights, but on one of the initialisations it was doing it again. Once I'd power cycled it though, it was great for 22 minutes of flight.

I've got some good video today, so will try to get that uploaded during the course of the evening.

Cheers

Sutty
Old 09-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #1909 (permalink)
Registered Users

What bl controller does it have, AM, Martinez?

First thing, check cables to the motors. Most problems originate from the cable routing to the motor. Just the weight of the cable, cable swinging in prop wash, will affect it.

Next thing would be to redo calibration of the controller.

That don't do it then it's time to look at the controller firmware for updates. After that, it's all in the PID settings.

It looked good until it happened with no twitching.
Other things to look into, does it have ferrite magnets on the motor leads? THese should be as close to the connector as possible and no weight suspended on the unsupported cabling to the motor itself.

These things are prone to voltage issues. They don't like noise at all. A good lc filter on the power lead powering the controller is cheap insurance, even if you run an independent battery.

Now you know why you don't want to run the GoPro on a gimbal as your only fpv camera!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #1910 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

@Tom:
  1. Andy and I use Spektrum Rx on our multirotors, Chad's in the Walkera camp. AFAIK there is no way to pass the RSSI signal from a traditional Rx to the flight controller directly. Something could be possibly rerouted through telemetry back to Tx and mixed in the Tx to output RTH command; not entirely on-board decision-making process, but possibly worth considering . I could issue a RTH command on frame holds, for example, but still, the command would originate from Tx.
  2. Good observation on why gimbaled GP shouldn't be used as the only FPV camera, same thing that I thought as soon as Andy's gimbal went nuts.
  3. Very nice OSD, Tom. Naza's a notch behind, but still a close second.
@Andy:
  1. My guess is APM monitors the throttle signal from the Rx and activates your f/s routine when the throttle signal remains in certain range (it's definitely a range, not a value) for certain time. I'm guessing your value is close to one end of that range and when the signal goes iffy it doesn't necessarily remain in the correct range long enough. Naza-M software shows you graphically where your signal is vs ranges to activate different flight modes, APM mus have something similar, I assume?
  2. Tom's the boss here, I fully agree with him on the causes of the gimbal behavior. I'll vote on voltage, as it happened towards the end of the flight.
  3. Is the gimbal controller on the Walkera 3D gimbal on APM unit? That's why I didn't get it, it looked like it didn't come with independent controller.
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
jperkosk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #1911 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I'm happy now with my climb and centre stick options now, and my new additional sat, as recommended by Tom.

Through the FPV cam I can feel it tilt back out of forward motion when the signal drops, as I get close to my range limit, or more to the point if I'm low. I can't feel the climb, but the signal comes back, and it goes forward again, so it is like it bounces on a signal strength virtual hard deck. It's pretty cool. Through the stabalised camera you won't see any of this as it just smooths it out, but in my next video, just uploading now, it happens about 3 times.

As for the controller, it's the Walkera, built in, and my bet was on power too, but I was thinking noisy power, not overall voltage, because it is not limited to the end of the flight, it just so happens that this is when it showed up that time. The very next pack it did it after 10 seconds, but I thought stuff it, I'm going to fly anyway, it was a nice day, and I got a good flight in. None of that video was useful though. It also did it as soon as I plugged it in today, so I just cycled the power, only to it, and it was perfect thereafter. Motors were not running, so no motor interferance and no prop wash on the cables either.

It's designed to be used with the QRX350PRO, and is meant to work best with a 3S power supply, which it has, though it does have a very wide operating input voltage range.

Dunno, I'll just have to see how it goes.

Todays flights were nice though.

Cheers

Sutty
Old 09-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #1912 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you're right. Problem is, I'm getting at an age now that to learn something new, something old has to be given up! Ever since converting to uhf,,, so much better.

If the APM is controlling the gimbal, then it is most likely a voltage fluctuation/ noise issue.
A small regulator soldered inline to the APM power input, keeping it constant will only be beneficial.
If APM is controlling the gimbal, then an lc is out, ferrite magnets are your best bet.

Somewhere in APM it's got to let you adjust PID's. you can try bumping up P just a tad. A little more power applied may help prevent it bouncing into a loss.
You were in a fff transition. The motors need plenty of holding power to stop the camera momentum.
Fast flight is where the gimbal hold gets taxed.

PID's can be tricky as a soon to be ex's lawyer. If you make any changes, write it down, date it, keep a log.

Yeah, I like the Ruby osd, too.

The EZosd is less cluttered, less functional, but works a charm and has everything you need.

Very interested in the ETosd when I get the Vector.
Programmable color display. Still, as functional as it is, it does nothing like the Ruby osd does. Jim has a very professional controller.

Flying with an osd is quite different. First few flights it's about all you concentrate on. After that it quickly turns into background information and easily ignored.
The increased confidence it gives you is priceless!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #1913 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, if it's an independent Walkera controller, then the original post still apply's.

Bouncing on initialization.
Check your camera balance first.
Chances are it's PID's.
I don't even know if Walkera will allow you to get into there. It should allow you to calibrate, though.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #1914 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It just sits there balanced Tom, when unpowered, so it isn't that, and I've seen the effects of an out of balance gimbal set-up as a result of my bent 2D one. Took me an age to bend it back just so, in order that it would work, and this is completely different. It is completely nuts, haywire, and just prior to going nuts it works perfectly. I'm not just talking tipping and bouncing back from the limits, we are talking nuts, including the yaw control. Up down, left right, twirling about. I think it loses its marbles. I also saw the effects of getting the motor power and gain settings wrong on the 2D one, and they are kind of predictable. Too slow, weak, or too aggressive and shaking. As for precision tweaking of the PID parameters, I don't know that you can, as it is all self contained. To update the firmware, if it turns out to be related to a known bug, well I need an extra two pieces of kit, according to the manual. Don't know how much they are.

I'm thinking a better stabalised power supply is in order, but I'll need either a pack or a 12V BEC for that. For now I'll just see how it goes.

Anyway, I had a blast today, and here are the results. Sorry about the editing, I just rushed a few important bits together as I had to cut out things otherwise it would have just been too long.

From exactly 8:20 you will see a quick descent, as I switch to stabalise mode out of loiter GPS mode, as my throttle was a little too low, and I then spend the last 1.5 minutes blasting around. A bit more like real flying I think, and I came down with a proper adrenaline rush. Almost like you with your planes.

I promise it isn't speeded up, because sometimes it looks like it, but it was epic!

Cheers

Sutty

EDIT: Just google earthed it, and at 7 minutes I was just over 600m away.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #1915 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Andy add ALT HOLD to your switches. You will feel like loiter except a hell of a lot faster with a larger ele/ail and it self levels but carries on so you must stop it. Defo a more 'real flying feel' with out much worry about throttle. Unless you want to punch it. (I love it) If you want to dirty your dungarees try sport.(LOS FIRST!!!) You will probly still mess your britches. EXTREMELY F'N FAST!!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #1916 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

They are already in the switch mix Chad. Some things for the future I think. One thing at a time, plus I want throttle in the mix for now, it is all part of the experience.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #1917 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Also full ele/ail stick will not flip you in either ALTH or Sport. Sport will put the quad just about vertical w/full throw in flight!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:34 AM   #1918 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I dunno anyone's guess? I do know the camera is out of focus.

[ame]http://youtu.be/FK1zx7B3frU[/ame]
Old 09-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #1919 (permalink)
Registered Users

Classic, rebooting would probably reset it.

If not, check imu cabling, security.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #1920 (permalink)
Registered Users

Best f'n day with the Ranger, so far!

Went back to the sports park, ( yes, I looked for the sd card, fruitless endeavor ).

My best friend, Greg, met me this morning and we went thru 5 battery's!

Still got a few issues with the Ruby, but I sent 2 data files to Jim, doing some high altitude aided and autonomous flights. We'll see what he has to say. Getting closer!

Greg and I used to fly together, big time, back in the day. He's digging where I'm at. I even offered up my dx-7 to him for use. Think all I need to do is send him a few links.

Anyway, Ranger wise, all went good. I even let Greg take over for the whole 5th flight.
He got plenty of time on both the 12" monitor, ( which I love, by the way), and my new Cinemizer OLED goggles! Said I was making him air sick.

GoPro wise, don't know. I managed to download the one vid I remembered to record, but after downloading, the card will not recognize the file?
The download works, and is posted.

I had Greg bring out a spare sd card for the dvr recorder, but not even my cpu
recognizes the card, so all data there is lost.

I'm happy enough now to try an fpv flight with it, maybe tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=eNR6xCHWhlI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in