Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 04:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I thought I would fly Align forever.

Remember this is my experience and opinion, so don't flame me. I love Align helis. I never considered flying anything else. That was a mistake. Recently I bought a Gaui 425 from www.heliflightcenter.com for a factory promotional price of $79.00. Yes the price is correct. The quality IMHO is far superior to Align. When I flew it I found myself annoyed that I had been missing out on so much because of my prejudices, This heli will fly circles around any of my Aligns IMHO. I love it, period. So I will be selling several Aligns very soon.

My next challenge was trying an Outrage 550. Here I will state that without a doubt that the quality of Align cannot compare. Design is awesome, parts quality is a +10. Flying it needs to be experienced. I out maneuvers anything I have ever flown. Stable but explosively agile if you want it to be. Here's the big catch, the 550 is much cheaper to repair than my Trex 500, and it is a much bigger heli.

This is going to be an awesome year for me.
fraser1818 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

looks like your opening your eyes! :-)

ever try a protos? or, hey, a Ghobee Phazor 600 is calling out to you as well! hahahahaaa.
or if you like the 500 size, id seriously recommend you search out an Accelerated RC Hoss X5R! thats the ultimate 500 IMO! anyways, don't get me wrong, the Align 500 is a great heli, its just that, now-a-days, there all dang good birds!

have a fun year, and try not to go broke!

ginnz.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Prejudices - "quality" of primitive idi..ts

Sure,there are many better helis than Align

Good luck with ur Gaui!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm in the middle of a O550 build and all I can say is that the quality of the parts are excellent and that the engineering design by Charley Stephens is just awesome. And in its class size, you really can't beat the crash cost of the O550.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wait till you fly it.... My Outrage 550 is fast... period.... It's the correct size helicopter on 6S (or even 8S) and the head is adjustable. You can start it out slow and tweak to your liking. I remember the first time I flew one and my comment to Charley was "dang, that thing is almost too fast!".

Bringing people out of Radio Shack and into the hobby.

μολὼν λαβέ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ClayK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The outrage 550 was my first non align heli.
I was expecting much more quality wise. Some parts were defect (ball link not well manufactured) and I thought some screw were really a small size. I hate 1.5mm.
Some things are missing in the kit (battery velcro strap etc) vs. align.
Finally, the plastic tail bloc was of bad quality IMHO.
So better quality than a T500 and lower size yes, but definitely not the 700 for instance.
As for the design, I really like the tail blade control, head and engine mount but I do not like the stacked frames.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Some are better some are worse

Align makes a great Heli and the kits are well thought out. You can take an Align heli from the box to the field with a pretty good chance of ending up with something that will fly even if you have less experience. With that said, there are some better Heli's out there. Ever tried a Rave 450? Freaking awesome. Beams are nice, too. IMHO the Align Heli's have made the hobby more accessible to many people, and that's a good thing. I will most likely have at least one Align product in my stable for the foreseeable future.
ksechler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good thread. I am coincidentally going to maiden my 550 TODAY! I sure here good things and is a work of art. I have the Outrage FBL on it too.. what a solid piece of hardware!

Forgive me butchering it with bright colors

I still Align thought too!... the helis in the background are Align.. 500ESP FBL and a 450Pro.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Great bird

I have a trex450 , a Hurricane 550 and a 425 and by far i love the 550 and 425 the mose costs wise you cant beat it and sability and relyablity is awsome. I still fly the trex but not as often as the hurricane's.
I too bought the 425 for only 79 bucks haha wow and every thing you get in that kit --I was amazed if they make any money off it. bottom line every heli has its good and bad qualitys it just depends if you want to fly spending more money or less money
mightymouse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Sly, I like your color combo, especially the orange blades, just did that on my Rappy

Let us know how the Outrage flys in comparison to your Rex 500

When you get a chance, if you would, a side to side comparison photo of the two would be cool

I keep hearing more and more good things about the O550
Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have more Aligns than anything else right now. Not because they are Aligns....but because it just happened that way. I love my Gaui 550, it flys way lighter than the Trex 500. When I shop, I never focus on just Align....there are so many others out there....some better...some not. It does seem than Align is standard to compare the others to. That's not to say Align is better....it's just that most people are familiar with Align.

I beleive Gaui (and others) are up and coming. I can't wait's to see what around the corner. If Gaui comes out with a 600 size, I will deff. be taking a very close look at that.

Bill
Old 02-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Outrage Fusion.... electric.... 630mm blades... coming soon! Logo 700E! Many good things coming
Old 02-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Slyster, I love the colors of your birds. The brighter the better in my opinion. Wait til my buddy repaints my old Knight 50, it is going to be so bright you will need sunglasses to look at it.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

frasier1818.

I just ordered one of those 425.
Please let me know what blades/motor/esc, etc....you used to finish the bird.
AlvaSpeed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

HEHE

I just did the same thing. Sheezz for 79.00 bucks...CHACHING
browndog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

You want a good quality, good flying heli, buy a Logo, period! A Logo is one awesome heli. Great quality parts, and it flies amazing, especially if you can do FBL. I thought about an Outrage awhile back before the Logo, but decided against it. Heard its good though!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too started with Align 450 and it was good to get me in the hobby, parts everywhere and pretty simple to setup.
Then I bought a Gaui 550 and it flies real nice!, very stable.
I like the trex450 but love the Gaui 550.

Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0006.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	140259  
adam crosby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

i spread the welth, i just picked up my first gaui 425 from flying-hobby two weeks ago. i got it for $59.00 yes thats what i said, they were dirt cheap, i think because the EP425 v2 is dew out soon. i fly trex, swift, esky, and now gaui
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/w...hicago2010.jpg
dubehigh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Another +1 for the Outrage 550 here

Out of all the helis I've owned, it's been the fastest, most powerful, and most reliable. I still can't get enough of it!

[ SAB Goblin ][ Trex 450 Pro ]
Azlum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser1818 View Post
Remember this is my experience and opinion, so don't flame me. I love Align helis. I never considered flying anything else. That was a mistake. Recently I bought a Gaui 425 from www.heliflightcenter.com for a factory promotional price of $79.00. Yes the price is correct. The quality IMHO is far superior to Align. When I flew it I found myself annoyed that I had been missing out on so much because of my prejudices, This heli will fly circles around any of my Aligns IMHO. I love it, period. So I will be selling several Aligns very soon.

My next challenge was trying an Outrage 550. Here I will state that without a doubt that the quality of Align cannot compare. Design is awesome, parts quality is a +10. Flying it needs to be experienced. I out maneuvers anything I have ever flown. Stable but explosively agile if you want it to be. Here's the big catch, the 550 is much cheaper to repair than my Trex 500, and it is a much bigger heli.

This is going to be an awesome year for me.
Thanks Fraser, just order one myself, I too have always thought Align had a great product and still do. It will be nice to see the differences in the kits.

Hope it will fit into my famliy of 250s and 500s.

Craig
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in