Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default To FAA register or wait?

So I'm still wrapping my head around the "logic" our "politicians" "used" to come up with this "regulation.." (Can you tell I'm not a fan?)

The B4UFly app is useless and garbage. It tells me zero information about what my obligations actually are.

These ***hats in Washington have decided every single dirt strip in my state is an airport I need to notify.

Just so you understand, I live in a very urban area. There is not much open space that isn't mountainous, and there's also only two roads out of town. In order to drive to a place where the garbage FAA app won't be telling me I have to notify a strip of dirt, I would have to drive 90 minutes outside of town. A 90 minute drive...just to fly a Blade 230S (possible next heli?). That's completely ridiculous.

If I wanted to fly a little 230 in my own yard, I'd have to notify ATC at no less than 5 local airports. (Nevermind the FAA app expects me to notify another 15 airstrips in town w/o ATC's...)

I just don't understand why there's not more outrage about this and why everyone here doesn't seem to give it a second thought. Do you all live further away from airports than I do? Do you not even have any airstrips nearby? Or do you just not even bother notifying anyone if you're flying on your own property? (Reminder: The FAA regulates ALL airspace above your lawn. From the first inch upward..)

I've asked the folks at my LHS, and I'm convinced they don't understand the regulations since they told me two of their flying spots...which I checked out, and oh yeah, the app wants you to notify 10-12 airports (depending on which of the two spots). So I'm not even really sure what people in my town do.. I'm not a member of a local flying club, I admit, but that's generally not my idea of fun--more of a loner.

And if I understand correctly how the FAA registration goes...if I don't register, get caught, get ~$27k fine...which I can potentially fight in court since the legality of this legislation is somewhat questionable. But if I register...the FAA can slap me with a $50k fine because I didn't notify a strip of dirt in a neighborhood and I have zero insight into their investigative process, and there is no appeals process to fight it. By registering with the FAA, I agree to take their *** pounding if they so elect me as the poor SOB to screw over this week for laughs..

Is there a scheduled revision coming up to the UAS regulations? Or anytime this year or early next they may look at changing it? I'd really prefer to avoid it all together... Especially considering anyone can file a Freedom of Information Act request and obtain my legal name, city, and zip code where I live because I'm on the FAA UAS registry. The Office of Personnel Management already lost/leaked my personal information onto the Internet once... I'm not keen to let the chuckleheads running our government do it again to me....

So I guess what I'm getting at here is: Please pick apart anything in my post/understanding that is incorrect. I am baffled by this "legislation" and would prefer to be wrong in my understanding of it...
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

As long as your not flying something several hundred feet up or right near the takeoff or landing flight path of an airport I wouldn't worry about it. Heck .. Kites can go higher and pose just as much of a hazard. My 230S box says "No FAA registration required".
I have a single engine private pilots license so I'm not paying another fee to fly a "toy". Next year I will probably not renew my AMA as I fly mainly at home over fields with permission.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

As long as you're following the rules of an accepted rc organization there's no need to register. I was told that since I'm an AMA member no registration is required, that came after FAA requirement was put in place. My job requires that I abide by all laws, so I registered with the FAA, after the 3 years I will not be re-registering with FAA.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Personally I would just register and fly where you like. No registration and you'll more likely be looked at as a law breaker. Registering and mistakenly flying to close to an airport will probably be an easier sell especially a small heli not being flown to high or far out.
I also don't consider every helipad or dirt strip an airport. I'll stay 5miles away from philly international and maybe Trenton airport but all the private strips forget that.
And all bets are off at my home I'll fly no matter how close I am to an airport it's mine and they can go f-themselves.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1071 View Post
Personally I would just register and fly where you like. No registration and you'll more likely be looked at as a law breaker. Registering and mistakenly flying to close to an airport will probably be an easier sell especially a small heli not being flown to high or far out.
I also don't consider every helipad or dirt strip an airport. I'll stay 5miles away from philly international and maybe Trenton airport but all the private strips forget that.
And all bets are off at my home I'll fly no matter how close I am to an airport it's mine and they can go f-themselves.
FAA controls all airspace even over your property, so once it leaves the ground your in their airspace.
As long as you are flying truely as a hobby, you are exempt from the FFA from a lot of the FAA regulations, just fly according to rules of an accepted association like AMA and you're good.
If that dirt strip is on FAA's list of airports your still under the requirement to notify. The key here is NOTIFY.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSHeli View Post
FAA controls all airspace even over your property, so once it leaves the ground your in their airspace.
As long as you are flying truely as a hobby, you are exempt from the FFA from a lot of the FAA regulations, just fly according to rules of an accepted association like AMA and you're good.
If that dirt strip is on FAA's list of airports your still under the requirement to notify. The key here is NOTIFY.
Oh well they can suck it. I'll fly my toys in my back yard no matter where I am.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
As long as you're following the rules of an accepted rc organization there's no need to register. I was told that since I'm an AMA member no registration is required, that came after FAA requirement was put in place. My job requires that I abide by all laws, so I registered with the FAA, after the 3 years I will not be re-registering with FAA.
I had heard that, but I thought I had heard that the AMA was trying to get an exemption like that, but I thought they never did?

If becoming an AMA member is an option to avoid the FAA registration, that's good to know. Doesn't address ALL my concerns, but does make it easier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1071 View Post
That's a good point about being viewed as a law breaker if you don't register. Because it's not like I'd EVER be judged by a jury of my peers if I took it to court (really? They gonna go round up some Helifreakers? No.)...

Quote:
Yep... Just like how BLM or DNR or someone has full authority over the dirt beneath your lot. Here in the states, if you buy an acre of land, it truly is just a 2-dimensional acre you own...
Old 08-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick568 View Post
I had heard that, but I thought I had heard that the AMA was trying to get an exemption like that, but I thought they never did?

If becoming an AMA member is an option to avoid the FAA registration, that's good to know. Doesn't address ALL my concerns, but does make it easier...

That's a good point about being viewed as a law breaker if you don't register. Because it's not like I'd EVER be judged by a jury of my peers if I took it to court (really? They gonna go round up some Helifreakers? No.)...

Yep... Just like how BLM or DNR or someone has full authority over the dirt beneath your lot. Here in the states, if you buy an acre of land, it truly is just a 2-dimensional acre you own...
The exemption for rc models is still the same as before the FAA registration became in effect. A membership with AMA or other national organization fulfills the FAA regs requirement as I was told at IRCHA.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

t's not a big deal to register. Become an AMA member , get insurance and forget it until you need it.

In terms of labeling the heli/s planks, here is what I did

1/ 3 cell or more LIPO Label on LIPO
2/ 1 cell LIPO - Heli / planks unlabeled because of low weight
3/ 2 Cell Lipo, label inside canopy for heli's, sticky label close to ESC / Receiver

That's it.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to rain on the fun boys but at this time AMA membership in NO WAY relieves you of the FAA requirement to register your models. No one in a position of leadership with the AMA would tell you so if they know what they're talking about.

Register or don't register I don't really care but you should be going on good information when you make your decision.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

From the AMA FAQ:

Q: Do I have to register every aircraft?
A: You only need to register your name, physical address, and email address once. You will receive a single FAA registration number which is to be placed inside all of your aircraft along with your AMA number.

Q: Do only drones and multirotor operators need to register?
A: No. Anyone who flies a model that is over 0.55 lbs (or 250 grams) and uses a ground-control system with a communications link, such as an RC transmitter, is required to register.

Q: Do I need to list both my AMA number and my federal registration number on my aircraft?
A: Yes, you need to list both your AMA number and Federal registration number on your aircraft. We are advocating to allow members to use their AMA numbers. We believe an AMA membership already meets the intent of registration, but at this time place both numbers on your aircraft.

I don't believe the FAA cares whether you list your AMA number, but the AMA is still trying to get the Feds to agree to accept AMA registration (and number) in lieu of direct registration with the FAA. As Steve said, that't not a done deal.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Unfortunately it looks like there is no clear, concise answer as to if/when these reg's may be relaxed/fixed.

At the moment, FAA registration does not apply to me since a Blade 180 is my largest heli.

If the next heli I get requires me to register, I will register since with just about anything bigger than a 180 requires me to go drive somewhere to fly; don't have a big enough yard to fly anything bigger.

But I'd rather give more money to the AMA (if that were an option) than give Uncle Sam another dime just so I can be provided with more useless government services and bloat. My PII is safer with the AMA than the FAA anyway since the AMA is a WAAAAY smaller target. Even if they likely have less secure infosec than the FAA.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm looking at getting back into the hobby and have been mulling this issue over too. Judging by some posts here and elsewhere, simply jumping in the air could be considered an FAA offence.

I think my current plan is to forgo FAA registration. After all...

"But officer, I'm not flying a drone. I'm flying a helicopter."
Old 08-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

As of last year not registering is a federal offense. Will you get caught? No one can answer that but only you can decide whether or not you want to gamble on it. Ignorance is seldom considered a worthy legal defense. The FAA has made it clear they don't distinguish between drones and helicopters or any other UAS for that matter when it comes to applying this rule.

As of August 29th the FAA will have a new stick, part 101, to beat you with if you don't comply with the rules found there.

We've been given a relatively simple path to follow to keep out of hot water. It may not be the one many of us wanted but it is here nevertheless. As I said at first the choice to comply or not is solely yours to make. Choices, as always, come with consequences.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I don't see any positive in not registering. It's just something we all have to do now.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man I was checking out that b4ufly app. What complete garbage. Looking up AMA clubs within a 250 mile radius from me and the majority of the clubs are in no fly circles.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm done flying. The fun is gone, to much crap. Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post
As of last year not registering is a federal offense. Will you get caught? No one can answer that but only you can decide whether or not you want to gamble on it. Ignorance is seldom considered a worthy legal defense. The FAA has made it clear they don't distinguish between drones and helicopters or any other UAS for that matter when it comes to applying this rule.

As of August 29th the FAA will have a new stick, part 101, to beat you with if you don't comply with the rules found there.

We've been given a relatively simple path to follow to keep out of hot water. It may not be the one many of us wanted but it is here nevertheless. As I said at first the choice to comply or not is solely yours to make. Choices, as always, come with consequences.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2016, 09:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

The dirt strips are not showing with the circle radius on my app, if they have the restriction, a circle with the map showing how far we need to be away from them would help
Car6on14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
I'm done flying. The fun is gone, to much crap. Later
You've said that you were done so many times now that I've lost count.

You always come back.

Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
My 230S box says "No FAA registration required".
Just a curiosity...is this something printed on the factory box...or did you create your own ward-off-the-FAA-police label?

Weighing in at over 250 grams means FAA registration is required
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in