Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 200

Hurricane 200 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default GAUI 200 Too Quirky?

Hey, Gang.

Been kicking around the idea of getting a Gaui to fill the void between the Rex and CX.
Another T-rex owner said they are too small and too quirky.

True?

They appear very good quality and there must be a reason they are getting very popular, it seems; even have their own forum!

Before I dump some money into one and spare parts, is it gonna be too difficult to fly inside?

I take it that it's not a livingroom flyer.

Is it pretty durable? It looks like it.

Parts availability seems relatively good as well, and that's always a concern for Me.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

"The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves."
goldslinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

It is the most stable quality helicopter in it's class hand down.

Parts are easy to get and cheap.

I'd bet your buddy hasn't flown one.

Get one you'll like it !!
Buzzkill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a t-rex 450 se v2 and a gaui hurricane 200. I've been flying for about 4 months and the gaui isn't a problem for me to fly. If you can fly a rex, flying the Gaui in a gym or even half a gym is no problem! The best quality about this heli is that it just flys so well and smooth. It's a blast to fly! Get one! The first time you fly it you'll be glad you did. Parts are cheap and readily available, it's as fully 3D capable as a rex, it's durable, and like I said, a blast to fly. You can easily walk outside and fly it in a small front yard, although it doesn't take very much wind. It's quiet so the neighbors won't get pissed. Get one, and if you have any questions you know where to find us .
Old 05-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is small, and it is quirky, but it is also fun to fly once the kinks are ironed out.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, Guys !

I think this will be a better front, backyard flyer than the T-REX 450 v2.

I thought about learning new tricks on the Gaui 200, then translate it to the more expensive to fix 450; is that an idea?

Sounds encouraging.

Thanks again.

Gary

Old 05-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly Trex 450se v2 as well, and Mini Titan, and gaui 200. Trex is a much better performing heli in all respects than the gaui, but gaui 200 is my favorite of them all There is just something really cool about flying a tiny heli... yeah it's more twitchy, harder to fly. But if you fly a trex, you'll find it very similar, things just happen faster so you have to be on it It's a great backyard practice heli, I wouldn't call it a living room flyer, but you can fly around in a garage, where there are no valuable stuff to run into!

-Crabfu
crabfu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great ! !

Also, can You recommend the Shaft driven Tail or the Belt driven tail. Which is more stable, which is more crashworthy?

So many questions. . .

Gary

Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't comment on SD as I've only flown the belts.... but sounds like from the posts coming in now, that the shaft drive tail is holding up well in crashes, and performs great All I can say is that I've never slipped or snapped a belt on the gaui. One bad crash in particular, broke the tail boom in half... no not bent, but it came apart into 2 pieces... and the belt held up, haven't had the need to change the belt yet.

-Crabfu
crabfu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's very interesting ! Sounds like it might be cheaper to fix the belt driven ones, as well, I don't know.

Gary

Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

FWIW,

I fly the Gaui-200, T-Rex 450, and T-Rex 600, love 'em all. Also have a Blade-400, (crash-test dummy), but we won't talk about that one...

I think the 200 is the most fun for the buck. I'm no 3d expert by any means, but when I've been out of town for days, and it's 25mph winds outside, I put a comforter over the bigscreen and practice in the living room.

Total inside flights: 10-15?
Total inside damages: 2 blade grip screws, 1 lampshade

Outside, I'm getting so I can handle a light, steady (5-7mph?) wind. Be wary though, I find that turbulence (wind rolling over an obstacle) can make much it much more challenging than a 450 machine.

Squirrelly? Sure, the smaller the heli, the twitchier it gets, but I'd say it's closer to the 450 than your friend knows. I used to fly a souped-up CPPro, I <know> squirrely!!

The 600 is a P-51, the 450 a Ferrari 380GTB, but the 200 is a Ducati 900rr! Take your pick, and prepare to open wallet accordingly ;-)

If you can find a better machine in a 150-200 class, I'd sure like to buy one. I've been on this quest for over a year now, but I'm still very content with my two-month old 200. Will probably get a second one before long and build a case to put in my luggage.

***yb3ard
"...Knife fight Captain??... ...Aarg!, no laddie, it's jest challenging to replace that d*mned parrot with me heli..."
Gr4yb3ard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***yb3ard View Post
FWIW,

I fly the Gaui-200, T-Rex 450, and T-Rex 600, love 'em all. Also have a Blade-400, (crash-test dummy), but we won't talk about that one...

I think the 200 is the most fun for the buck. I'm no 3d expert by any means, but when I've been out of town for days, and it's 25mph winds outside, I put a comforter over the bigscreen and practice in the living room.

Total inside flights: 10-15?
Total inside damages: 2 blade grip screws, 1 lampshade

Outside, I'm getting so I can handle a light, steady (5-7mph?) wind. Be wary though, I find that turbulence (wind rolling over an obstacle) can make much it much more challenging than a 450 machine.

Squirrelly? Sure, the smaller the heli, the twitchier it gets, but I'd say it's closer to the 450 than your friend knows. I used to fly a souped-up CPPro, I <know> squirrely!!

The 600 is a P-51, the 450 a Ferrari 380GTB, but the 200 is a Ducati 900rr! Take your pick, and prepare to open wallet accordingly ;-)

If you can find a better machine in a 150-200 class, I'd sure like to buy one. I've been on this quest for over a year now, but I'm still very content with my two-month old 200. Will probably get a second one before long and build a case to put in my luggage.

***yb3ard
"...Knife fight Captain??... ...Aarg!, no laddie, it's jest challenging to replace that d*mned parrot with me heli..."

I've been floating around this forum for awhile now and had my mind half made up to get one before I started this thread. The replies pushed Me over the fence.

I got into this hobby with the Radio Shack MOSQUITO, then a bladerunner 2, then a CX-2, (have 4 now, totally hopped up) then a T-REX 450se v2, and now the Gaui on the way.

The Gaui 200 sd will fill a niche, I think, that I've been needing. Something that I'm not terribly afraid to crash like My carefully built REX. I want to do aerobatics, but not necessarily hard stick banging 3-d, and if I can do it on the Gaui, then I might get up the nerve to do it on the REX.

The Gaui 200 meets all the criteria in inexpensive and readily available parts, an established company (so not here today, gone tomorrow) a quality product that I think will EXPLODE in popularity (better stock up on parts, there is gonna be a run on them) and is mentioned frequently by the TREX crowd as an 'add water' T-REX heli, which is an ultimate compliment from this scrupulous crowd !

I am very excited, as I think this little bird will be a tinkerer's dream, and that's Me ! !

Old 05-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

It maybe a pain in the ass to setup and get flying like it should, but in the end, it's all worth it . Welcome to the gang.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Interesting....

I too started off with the R/S Mosquito...
...and had the same thought process.

I've been in on the early's on lot's of great stuff. I'm hoping it will be sorta cool to do that in a hobby as well. I see all the signs for the 200 here. That would, no will, be neat to participate in.

Be sure to make careful note of the swash travel settings in the manual. These are, I think, invaluable. Mine flew with minor adjustment.

Have fun, post often.

***yb3ard
"...'e thinks like us... ...aye, tis a bit scary..."
Gr4yb3ard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***yb3ard View Post
Interesting....

I too started off with the R/S Mosquito...
...and had the same thought process.

Be sure to make careful note of the swash travel settings in the manual. These are, I think, invaluable. Mine flew with minor adjustment.
Yep, and I still have all of them !

Will do on the swash travel. . .

Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in