Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4#3, 4#3a, 4#3b, 4#3Q

4#3, 4#3a, 4#3b, 4#3Q Walkera 4#3, 4#3a, 4#3b, 4#3Q Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Looking for the best fixed pitch heli

I will soon be in the market for a smaller heli, i have a 450 and an msr, I love my 450 and will be getting another very soon, i am not interested in getting anything larger than that...i like the smaller heli's....i like my msr, though it's kinda tame, i think the 45 degree flybar is to blame, wish i had got the walkera cb100 or whatever...i am not a fan of eflight and it's been on the shelf waiting for me to spend the money on an aluminum head so i can stop throwing my money at horizon hobby...

I looked at a trex 250, and it seemed like fun, though i have heard too much about tail issues, and that it goes through parts a lot...i'm kinda thinking a fixed pitch will work well for me, something thats a little work to fly but not quite as much as a full on collective pitch...something i can relax with and tool around when i'm bored in my basement or relaxing in my backyard on calm days....

i have heard that this forum has a lot of good people, i know it's kinda standard for each forum to recommend the heli it pertains too, but i figured i might get least biased answer from here, vs the honeybee forum or something...

so i'm looking for something a little bigger than the msr, a little more capable, less stable, but not too expensive to repair...it would be a big plus if i could buy bulk parts from hong kong like i can with my trex, cheep batteries are a plus...also every walkera i could find came with a transmitter, i will soon be buying a dx7 and am looking for something that i can buy without a transmitter. I have been interested in the 4#3b, but i am curious about the honey bee and others, i'm kinda looking for a starting point, a few good heli's to start looking into, and i figured you guys would know the best ones too look at, i'm not specifically looking for walkera but like i said i figured you guys wouldn't be biased...
sethf8403 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The new 4#6 looks good, shaft drive tail, fixed pitch blades. I have a 4G6, the CP brother of the 4#6 which has a identical tail, and the tail is great. It is not out yet, but it should be soon. Parts should be cheep. Check Wow Hobbies, they should carry it.

wow hobbies
http://www.wowhobbies.com/

4#6 at Walkera's website
http://www.walkera.com/en1/4-6/index.html
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Walkera 4#3B has indeed set the standard for micro-class fixed pitch helis. It is much smaller than a HBFP and can be easily flown indoors. Lots of mods and tinkering available if that interests you as well. It is quite a challenge to fly, so it will keep your interest for a very long time.

If you are looking for a less costly version of the mSR, check out the SOLO PRO I or II at ClubHeli.com

I am most excited to find out more about the 4#6 as I love my 4G6 and think it would be the perfect compliment. The problem is that I heard or read a rumor somewhere that it would only be sold in the US via a sole distributor. I don't know if Wow, RCHobbyHelicopter, or ClubHeli will be able to carry it. Again, just something I read as a rumor so don't hold me to it!
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethf8403 View Post
I have been interested in the 4#3b,
Hi Seth, for once I agree with you the 4#3B is the best choice for what you describe you want, assuming you want to be able to actually fly and not just hover indoors. Unless you have a very big space, the HBFP is too big to do much with indoors.

The 4#3B actually needs (slightly) more stick input than the 4G3 but it's far slower moving being FP and doesn't get away from you nearly as quickly, also it's a LOT more robust in that it can be whacked off walls on a regular basis and usually survives intact.

The only thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is you need the TX since you can't bind it to a Spektrum TX but the stock TX you get with the 4#3B has everything you need for an FP heli and is way better quality than e.g. an Esky TX (you can't bind an Esky heli to a Spektrum either)

Best of luck with whatever you choose

Dusty
Blade 400, mSR, mCPX - Sonix SX450SE - Walkera 1#A, 4#3, 4#3A, 4#3B, 4G3
Dusty1000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

oh wow that 4#6 looks perfect! is it basically a 4#3b with a torque tube? how prone to stripping and breaking is that tt on the 4G6? does anybody know about when they will come out? i wont be buying one till the first week of january, but i'm not going to want to wait 3 months longer than that to get one...

how is the 4#b in crashes? i am good at hovering, but there are always crashes in small rooms, is the 4#6 going to share parts with the 4#3?
Old 11-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The 4#3B is pretty crash resistent. The key is to cut the throttle before the crash. I had gone through a bunch of parts when I was learning to fly, but I haven't needed to replace anything for quite a long while (even though I still crash a bunch!)

the 4#6 is a fixed version of the 4G6 and thus shares many of the same components. It is a few inches larger than the 4#3B and does not share any parts in common.

Do expect to go through a bunch of tail gears and such on the 4#6. Like the 4G6, it is the weak link and will break/sheer on impact to prevent damage to the rest of the heli.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

i can handle breaking torque tube gears, but does anyone know whenish it's coming out? i guess at this point thats the only deciding factor between the two, i'll be willing to pay more for the parts because i like that it's a little bigger and a little higher end...i guess that probably means it's a little more stable and a little better outside as well...

however i don't think i will be willing to wait later than february...
also i am doing a search and i cant seem to find any spare parts for the 4g6, even the tt gears?

has anyone ever modified a walkera to work on a higher end transmitter? i really don't like the idea of having to use a second transmitter...in fact it's kind of making me rethink walkera's in general...
Old 11-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Walkera releases new helicopters at a rate faster than our increasing national debt. Usually, there is about a 4 to 5 week delay from when it is posted on Walkera's site to when they start shipping to the dealers. Based on prior experience, look for it sometime mid December.

You can't easily modify it to work with a Spectrum transmitter. It usually isn't cost effective to do so. Here is a thread that is being started on one man's approach... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145004
Old 11-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

ahhh i guess i can deal with it, i just really like my transmitter...i don't like the idea of having two...let alone being forced to use one thats not very high quality...

so i'm really thinking the 4#6 is the bird for me, and since it is looking like it will be out soon i can keep it in my options...I guess it's between that and the 4#3b...I gotta say i'm liking the looks of the #6 though...

do any companies make a similar sized fp heli of decent quality that would work with a spectrum transmitter?any company but eflight of course, i'm done dealing with them...

so the 4#3b...i hear it's pretty squirrly...i know small heli's are less stable than bigger ones, but is it going to be a lot more work than my trex 450? seems like being fixed pitch it should be a little easier...
Old 11-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 4#6 was due to release sometime early next month. But you know the thing with walkera we do expect delay and hopfully will get it before Christmas. If it fly as good as the 4G6 than it should be a winner. For the tail gear I had replace a few set in mine already and trust me you will get really good at it after you do it for many times. LOL
ehirobo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Seth,
I see your having continued doubts about the Walkera controllers, and let me be yet another to chime in and assure you that the current stock walkera controllers are of very good quality and feel.
Another option might be,,, instead of planning to buy a DX7 and want it to bind to a walkera... Maybe look into getting a walkera with one of the 2801 or 2801pro controllers and pick up a receiver for your Trex and use it with both helis. The 2801s bind to any for the walkera helis and sell for a good price in there combo sets. Leaving only a receiver to handle your trex's needs. Presto,,, One controller for two helis.
To touch on another of your concerns,,, I already had a Trex450 and CopterX450 when I got my 4#3B and I can assure you that you will have no problem being able to fly these little helis. They do take a bit of getting used to as you will find there is just the right amount of throttle and collective touch to getting off the ground but once it the air they are very controllable. After a week of flying you will have it trimmed out and balanced just right and most likely find yourself on here talking the next guy into the purchase of his life, or walking him through the fact that there are 8 batteries that go in the controllers and not just 4.
Good luck with whatever you decide to get, but walkera is hands down the best for the money as well as leaps and bounds ahead of others. But do tend to delay on their release dates for the new models.
Regards,
Rob.
P.S. On a final note... Although I do sound a bit walkera bias... Truth be told my first heli was a walkera 60 and being the earlier version I had nothing but problems with it an swore off walkera forever... But my mentor and friend convinced me that the 4#3Bs were a very good indoor heli and I gave it a try... No regrets,,, and walkera has continued to improve, upgrade and update all their models to the respectable helis they are today.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes i am, frankly that is the one thing that is in my way right now, thinking about using another controller just makes me grind my teeth, it's something i really don't wanna do...I started to look at the honey bee closer because i have been told it can be spektrumized much easier...but frankly the honey bee looks too big to fly indoors...at only 100 bucks i will most likely buy one anyway, but i'm kinda dissapointed because i fell in love with the new walkera and it just has this one glaring issue.

i wont ever switch from spektrum, and using walkera's pro setup isn't going to help me either since my msr wont work on that...either way i'll be using 2 transmitters when one should be fine...It is partly because capable or not, it seems like a toy controller compared to my spektrums, but mostly i just don't want two controllers, the one thing i really like about my spektrum is i can use it for all my heli's...

i have been reading up on converting a 4#3 to spektrum, and it doesn't really seem like too much work, just have to buy the reciever and a 3in1?i don't want brushless anyway...aparently walkera's 3in1 doesn't allow for any modification...seems odd, the honeybee can be converted incredibly easily...i can't really find any good links, do you guys know of any for converting one to spektrum?

Last edited by sethf8403; 11-20-2009 at 01:36 PM..
Old 11-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

i was very leery on walkera's tx till i got my cb100 in hand. but truth be told it doesn't feel much different than my dx7. i did order a 2801 pro due to the stock tx being a bit limited in the setting department. as best as i have read it's prity damn close to my dx7.

remember you won't be flying it in very much wind, so when your out flying your trex it will probably be parked in the hangar waiting for crummy weather. my cb100 is my winter bird. snow sux!

don't let the tx bother ya. it really is a decent tx.
cx2, mcx, T Rex 450 SA, GAUI 550, walkera cb100, 4#6, 4#6S, 4g6S, trex 450 clone, V911/FP100, DX7, DX8
never hold your farts in. they travel up your spine, and that's where s****y ideas come from.
shaggybirdman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys, Just adding my 2 cents. I don't like the idea of using 2 txs either. I got a 4G3 and a 4#3Q and then a CB100. I finally broke down and got the 2801 Pro and all 3 helis are much more fun now. Many more programing options. But for the record, the 2801 Pro is a toy compared to my DX-7. The 2801 has full programing capabilities for the 4G3 but still limited programing capabilities for the 4#3Q and the CB100. Mainly no expo is what I miss the most. Again, just my 2 cents.
Kind Regards, Cdub
Cdub is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 03:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdub View Post
But for the record, the 2801 Pro is a toy compared to my DX-7
Just curious, why is that? What does the DX7 have that the 2801Pro lacks?
Blade 400, mSR, mCPX - Sonix SX450SE - Walkera 1#A, 4#3, 4#3A, 4#3B, 4G3
Dusty1000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1000 View Post
Just curious, why is that? What does the DX7 have that the 2801Pro lacks?
A big price tag!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

i thought all ya had to do was jump into 2801 mode, and setup expo then back to 2401, and poof you have expo setup. i did try that with throttle hold, but it didn't work, or i screwed up doing it.
cx2, mcx, T Rex 450 SA, GAUI 550, walkera cb100, 4#6, 4#6S, 4g6S, trex 450 clone, V911/FP100, DX7, DX8
never hold your farts in. they travel up your spine, and that's where s****y ideas come from.
shaggybirdman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethf8403 View Post
i like my msr, though it's kinda tame, i think the 45 degree flybar is to blame, wish i had got the walkera cb100 or whatever.
The cb100 also got a 45 degree flybar, I assume it will handle similarly.

http://www.walkera.com/en1/particular.jsp?pn=Z2CB100
timewerx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in