Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > HeliDirect

HeliDirect HeliDirect HDX300, 450, 500, 550, 600 Factory Sponsored Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default HDX500 Main gear stripping

Any suggestions on how to setup my throttle and pitch curves to quit tearing out my main gear on my HDX500? What's the trick to starting up when your soft start ain't worth a darn!!! A new ESc at this point isn't an option.

I am using the Hobbywing Pentium 60A with a Hyperion 3025-10 motor and the 94t Mian gear with a 24t pinion and a 4S 3700 battery.

Is the Microheli Gear worth the extra cash or is it just machined smoother?

Thanks
Tag
Tag1260 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hahaa... I'm in this boat too, if it's not stripping from a quick spool up it's stripping cuz my tail blades get caught in the ground on start of spooling up.

Tighter gear mech helps prevent stripping but a Microheli gear is just flat out much stronger, near indestructible if it's anything alike to to other Microheli gears I've used.

I find the soft start on my same Hobbywing ESC is very hard.. It does nothing for so much stick then BOOM goes.
B2TheEYo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the same speed control in one of mine. The secret is spool up to mid stick slowly and then hit the idle up. Hopefully you will have enough head speed by then to not kill the gear. I turned my pitch down little too. I have not stripped a gear since. My other helis have the platinum version that actually has a soft start that works. Just be prepared that when you go into idle up depending on where your pitch is set the heli might pop up into the air. My hover is actually just above mid stick on this heli for just this reason. Lesson learned on the speed control, yes it will work, but it won't make your life easy using it. Start saving for a better one, thats my next move for mine too, I am just debating on going to a 6S instead of the 4S, but thats a new motor too. Too many mods not enough cash.............
Old 08-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the replies.

rpheliman- What sort of curves are you using? And I suppose I need to know what tx too?
Also, what motor are you using on yours? My motor (Hyperion 3025-10 ) runs pretty hot, I'm thinking trying to low timing on the ESC.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am running the HDX 900 KV and the 24 tooth, gives a good head speed. I have a DX6i and will have to go and take a look at them, maybe I will take a couple photos, a picture says a 1000 words they say. The motor is quite hot after a 6 minute flight too, I have not brought my pyrometer home from work yet to take a reading but have too, I am still taching my head speeds on my HC500 conversion, it seems a little slow compared to the other SAH's. The 1320kv and a 4S and a 18t pinion are a little light and calc out to about 2400 rpm, compaired to my other 3100 or so. Keep the faith, you will get it.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the info. What size main gears are you using? I'm using the 94t. Have you tried any Microheli gears?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my SAH's I am running the stock 94t gears. On the HC I went to the 140 tooth because I am going to run a 6S eventually. I have not tried the microheli gears but I have not had a lot of long term luck with microheli stuff. I have a bunch of aluminum stuff on my King 2's and Blade 400 and the swash plates already have a ton of slop in them, more than the stock plastic junk if you can believe it. Microheli Gears may be a different thing though... I just take a lot of time setting my gear mesh with the stock gears and just run of the head speed up before hitting the idle up and things are going fine. (but i still have 5 or 6 extra gears in the parts box!!!)
Old 08-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've got several gears on order but I went thru three yesterday trying to set this thing up. It's getting a little bit expensive here. I did try ramping up with my throttle trim instead of the throttle stick and it seemed to help but I know I won't always remember to do this. Have you heard of any cheap ESC's that have a working soft start?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cheap and ESC's usually don't go together. I have the platinum versions of the hobbywings and they run fine. As far as cheap goes, that is a matter of perspective. Compared to a scorp. they are cheap. You can look at Xheli.com to see what they offer, but I do not know what kind of performance you will get. I really have to remind myself with the one HDX about the speed control too, I know that I am just going to hit the idle up one day and toast the gear again. I wish I knew about the soft start before I purchasesd the control, otherwise I would of spent the other 12 bucks or so and gotten the platinum from the get go. Live and learn I guess. You can also look into and EFlite to but they cost considerably more. I would give Heli Direct a call and tell them what you want, they should at least be able to get you a budgetory number to save up for. Talk to Jody or Larry, they are both good guys over there.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it.
So your saying the Platinum actually works good? Do you have to have the control box to go with it or can you access all the settuings with the sticks?
Thanks again
Tag
Old 08-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can use the sticks. Takes about 10 minutes going slow. Not as easy as they say but managable. You can also play with the timing too, maybe cool down your motor a bit.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Throttle and Pitch curves attached, maybe it will help....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Throttle Curve.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	109732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitch Curve.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	109733  
Old 08-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you have the time and patience, watch ebay for a speed controller. I got a couple of good deals on a ccp35 and a align60.
spootman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been using this ESC since day one CNCHELICOPTER XME-60A ESC for trex450 HDX450 3dx500 HDX500 etc RC helicopter value for money, but it still chewed the small main gears if you were not careful. Changing to 130/140T main gear gives you better choice of pinions and does away with the stripping problem. A small amount of modification to the frames with a file/Dremel will have the slot fixed in no time then you have to just decide what range of pinions you will be using and re drill the motor mounting holes in the frame and your up and away. You can of course purchase the new frames which are already set up for the bigger gears which is what I did then I built a second HDX with home modified frames which is great.
I too have several small main gears in my draw doing nothing from when I used to buy 10 at a time.
clive45 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in