Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger Electric Helis > E550

E550 Thunder Tiger E550 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #221 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnorth View Post
I'm a boat guy so I always look from behind the heli, the bottom tail blade will steer the same as a rudder on a boat, but that can be confusing for those not familiar.
That's exactly right... I actually did a take where I demonstrated that very thing, but it didn't make the final video. I am familiar with boats as well....but since not everyone is, I left it out. I felt like I would have then needed to follow it with an explanation of how boat rudders work! : )
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #222 (permalink)
Registered Users

rcnorth,

My ESC setup that I do with the Castle Link software is:

Select Heli type
Select fixed endpoints
Select set governed RPM (then set 30% to give 1700, 70% to give 1850 and 100% to give 2100)

Then I just let calibrate the end points of the throttle channel to be sure the top end point gives the full throttle tone and the bottom end point arms the ESC.

This works perfectly for all my electric machines. I only use Castle ESCs, and I only set them up this way.

-Adam
Old 04-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #223 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Landefeld View Post
rcnorth,

My ESC setup that I do with the Castle Link software is:

Select Heli type
Select fixed endpoints
Select set governed RPM (then set 30% to give 1700, 70% to give 1850 and 100% to give 2100)

Then I just let calibrate the end points of the throttle channel to be sure the top end point gives the full throttle tone and the bottom end point arms the ESC.

This works perfectly for all my electric machines. I only use Castle ESCs, and I only set them up this way.

-Adam

This is my first castle, (I'm a YGE guy) I don't have the link so I just do the stick calibration, which worked fine. I didn't do the GT5 calibrations that you showed in your video but obviously the GT5 was recognizing the inputs as it worked fine for a few flights,.....so it still doesn't make sense to me & I still suspect something may be wrong with my GT5.

I did my 3rd setup on this heli with my GT5.1, went for a test flight last night & it didn't go very good....I was starting to feel frustrated with this heli until I realized that I got my servo speeds mixed up Corrected those settings & went for a quick test hover this morning and things are looking good Just some tuning & I think I will finally get some flights on this bird :-)

I`m going to setup my 325 with the GT5.2 when I have a chance. So we`ll see how that goes, will keep you guys posted, if I can`t get it working then obviously there is something wrong with it, & it will need to be sent back.
rcnorth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #224 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lightbulb zap

Is there any chance that you experienced a static discharge and something has got reset/ fried? Not sure if this model has continuity or not. Was it particularly dry/ low humidity when the issues began? Tom.
tomcantfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #225 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcantfly View Post
Is there any chance that you experienced a static discharge and something has got reset/ fried? Not sure if this model has continuity or not. Was it particularly dry/ low humidity when the issues began? Tom.
Haven't thought of that possibility, I live on the coast so it's not a dry climate at all. I haven't heard of anyone recommending any grounding for the boom on this heli.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #226 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not even sure how you'd know tbh. I just ordered one for myself. Was gonna get the e700 but I can feel my wallet shaking when I ad up all the bits. Maybe next winters project. I must say though I'm very excited about getting this one as it's my first experience with anything bigger than a 450. I got a good deal on one without the gt5.2. Any recommendations about batteries guys? Don't mind opening up the frames just need something cheap as not smacking it ( yet) lol. I'd probably go for a blue one from hk but is there much difference zippy/ turnigy 20 or 30c? Anyways can't wait to join the fun. Tom.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #227 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welcome to the club

Going from a 325 (450) to a 700 is a HUGE jump. The 550 is a huge jump, you will enjoy it, and it's the best stepping stone to the 700, I'd say you made a good choice.

Rain is predicted to stop later today, so I'm hoping to get a couple flights in.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #228 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Landefeld View Post
Yes, you are right, we should all be saying the same thing. I will check in with the service group and see what is behind that advice. My personal experience is that 166 (as is printed in the manual that comes with the kit) removed the tail "kick" I was randomly getting.

I will post an answer to your request as soon as I can be both definitive and consistent with overall messaging.

Thanks,
-Adam
Hi Adam thanks for clearing that up. Can I ask if you have tweaked any of the the GT5 settings away from the standard set up and if so can you publish them.
evolusia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 02:17 AM   #229 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking

Lol huge is the word! I won't be able to hide this one from her for long..
did the basic assembly and I must say I'm impressed. Zero slop in the system except very slight play in the cyclic servos but they are metal gear and not top end mks so I'm happy with that. Actually if you move the servo horn in the very slight slop (and it is very slight) you see the blade grip move. You don't get that on a hk450 lol. One small area of concern is the belt guides don't seem as round as they could be but they look very light so probably no problem. Also the main gear is a fraction off round too but not hobbyking bad. Glad I got the 550 as I can have the wow factor again when I get the 700. Can't wait to get this beast in the air.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #230 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Getting ready to maiden

Hey guys,

I got some free time tonight and the weather looks good for tomorrow, as this is my first flybarless I am nervous as to some of my settings. I have been thru the setup over and over but I was hoping to get a sense where a starting point is for flip and role rates.

I don't want it to be too much but I am also afraid of not enough. Get halfway into a flip and realize it ain't enough.

I am using a standard rec setup.. As of now I have agility set to 100 on ail and elv in the gt5. Also have 100 d/r on tx. Am I understanding correctly that d/r on my transmitter or the agility of the Gt5 will make it flip faster or slower, kinda like the swash mix on fb Helis?

Is this 100/100 a good place to start for a competent 3d pilot? I have 25 expo which I like.
Are there any other settings you guys have had good maiden success with? Otherwise I'll go by the manual. PID start point?

Thanks guys, sorry to be so nervous but it's the big unknown for me.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #231 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I got me another problem. Play in blade grips

Tonight after mounting the blades I am noticing radial movement in the blade grips. It's got me freaked out. I did not notice it before.

It's a small amount at the grip but at the end of the blades it moves a good amount. can't be good. I tried taking a video but it just doesn't show well

What could be causing this?? its not a matter of feathering shaft being loose because there is no in and out play.

Last edited by iAdam; 04-06-2014 at 01:22 AM..
iAdam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #232 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Guys,

The stock settings actually work pretty dang good. I have only changed a little since those. Here is what I have done to mine to get it a little more to my style and aggressiveness.

I went into the GT5 tools software and exported these settings for my e550 FBL. I have it flying pretty decent 3D and still is pretty dang stable for precision flight. This gives me good tic tock speed as well as pretty tight piro flips. Pitch stops could be a little faster, working on that but this is pretty dang good so far.

Exit Time 60
Gyro Tolerance 5
Stick Tolerance 5
Cyclic Expo 25
Elevator Rate 100
Aileron Rate 100
Rudder Expo 25
Rudder Rate 100

Swash Controls:
Stability 80
Consistency 70
Response 15
Stick Mix 95
Speed Stability 28

Rudder Controls:
Stability 70
Consistency 70
Smooth Stop 0
Stop Asymetry 0
Torque Comp (pitch) 15
Torque Comp (cyclic) 10

Swash:
150 (140) deg eCCPM
Servo Throw 90
Cyclic Limit 22
Virtual Rotation 0
Update Frequency 166
Servo Delay Level 2
Ail-l 90
Ele 90
Ail-r 90
Collective Pitch A 80
Collective Pitch B 70

Tail Rotor:
Limit A 225
Limit B 240
Sub Trim 0
Center Pulse 760
Update Frequency 166
Servo Delay Level 1

I would say if you have this machine, or if you have a GT5.2 I would definitely get the ACE dongle and use the desktop software. Makes things so easy to get around. I do all my base setup on the computer and then do any tweaking in the field with the touch interface. If I make a change in the field I come hook up to the computer and save off the whole config.

Oh, and I get to customize the bitmap image on the screen of the GT5.2 with the GT5 Tools. Way cool LOL.

Hope this helps,
-Adam
Old 04-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #233 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Adam, can you (or someone) verify if the included servos will be happy with running straight LiFe pack voltage? So far they seem to be OK with it, but I've noticed something odd with the tail:

If I run the stock bendy plastic blades, it's smooth (but blows out easily).
If I install KBDD or Edge carbons, it randomly twitches when hovering!

It did this with the GT5.2, with VBar, with the Castle governor, AND with VBar governor! I admit I'm a bit puzzled by this, and the only thing I haven't tried is putting a regulator on the tail servo to drop voltage to 5V.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #234 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got a quick couple flights the other night, things seem pretty good at 75%, but when I bump up the rpm the tail gets pretty shaky....
Didn't have time to play with settings, but hopefully I can get it sorted out next time I can get out. (weather not good these days )

The good thing is that I was starting to really like the low rpm flying....so that's good, but I still wanna get it working at higher HS too.

I've mounted the GT5.2 on my 325s, bound it up & it works as it should, just like when I started on the 550...

It's all set-up except for the tail, cause I'm waiting for a slider.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #235 (permalink)
Registered Users

In most of the setup vid's and discussions I've seen, setting the gyro gain down as head speed increases is a good thing to do. My e620 does the same thing with a beastx, so I mix the gain down a few points on idleup2. It doesn't seem to be a factor in any of my other heli's but who knows, maybe it's just a quirk of the thunder tiger belt (at least at that size?)
Old 04-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #236 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, I was thinking it was a gain issue. I'll test it out if spring ever decides to come back.....lol
Old 04-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #237 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maiden went real well. It flies pretty good. Had to change a couple setting but I'm liking the gt5 very much. My buddy at the field has a Beastx and needed to fumble through manuals to figure out settings. All gyros should have a screen like the gt5. Anyway I imagine I could tweak this heli endlessly all summer but I'm happy I got the maiden out of the way.

I still have the wobbly head but it flew fine. I still have to figure it out.

Pic next to buddy's Logo 550
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	500938  
Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #238 (permalink)
Registered Users

Right on man congrats

That Logo sure makes the raptor look like an ugly duck....lol
Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #239 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's "it's old school" classic. I like it a lot... This really should be the heli to buy when someone is ready to move up in learning from a 450...

I can't quite bang on it yet as I think the rocking play in the grips is causing the blades to go out of track, and this whole flybarless thing feels very different.

I flew my Flybar Protos right after.

Flybarless feels...well..digital. Robotic. For those who might be long term plankers, it's kinda like the difference in feel of digital or analog servos on the elevator. I can almost feel the digital steps in the flybarless, it really felt like I was flying a computerized device.

Not saying its bad, just way diffrent from Flybar Helis I have been flying all these years.

I ordered some KBDD blades that arrived. Gonna see if I can get more tail authority. I was going to put on 95s but the tail is to close to the ground. I could but some spacers in the rear landing gear though.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:13 AM   #240 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya it's a "retro" look alright, it's different & I actually like how it looks in the air.

I have some green KBDD 96mm, but I haven't tried them yet. They will go nice with my green sticker canopy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in