Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Helicopters

Electric Helicopters Dedicated to larger than Micro/Mini Electric Helicopters of any Brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fixed Pitch 450 VOL 2…Featuring the Flybarless FP450

This is kind of a continuation of the Fixed Pitch 450 thread that is in the Esky HBV1/V2 forum here on Helifreak. I have now converted my FP450 over to flybarless and thought it would be a good idea to post the conversion in a new thread here in the Electric Helicopter Section. Even though the FP450 is a fixed pitch helicopter, it’s much larger then most fixed pitch helicopters on the market today and doesn’t really fall in the same category as the smaller 300 size fixed pitch helicopter like Esky and Walkera. So with the re-modding of the Funcopter head and going flybarless, I decided to start a new thread here in what I hope is a more appropriate forum on Helifreak.
Before I get started I would like to add, if anyone is interested in this helicopter, feel free to post here or check out the original FP450 thread. There is a lot of good information located there, as myself and many others have worked hard on making this a truly one of a kind bird.

Original FP450 V1 Thread
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=262663

FP450 Flybarless Conversion
Parts needed to make the Funcopter flybarless (Auxiliary rotorless) head.

Funcopter Main Rotor Head Set (M223010)
Funcopter Main Rotor Blades (Pair) (M223022)
Funcopter Main Rotor Lever Set (M223006) X2
Funcopter Blade Holder 5degree (M223003)

I removed the complete Funcopter Head assembly from my FP450. I left this head assembly intact because I have enough spare parts to make a separate FC FBL head.

There are only two things that I have broken on the FC head in my countless crashes, the Main Rotor Hub and two Main Blades. I don’t throw anything parts related away, so I was able to use a damaged Rotor Hub for the conversion, as the damaged Hub ears that hold the Auxiliary Rotor on are not needed for the FBL head.

I sanded off what was left of the ears to give the head a cleaner look

The stock Main Rotor Hub has a pre-drilled hole where the Adjustment Lever goes.

I mirrored and marked the opposite side of Rotor Hub, then drilled the new hole using a bit the same diameter as the factory hole.

You might get away with using only one modified Adjustment Lever and Swivel link as a Wash/Mixing Base arm, if so there is no need to drill out the extra hole in the step above. Most larger FBL heads I’ve seen have two mixing arms, so I decided to go with the two arm setup on my FBL conversion.

I removed the Ball end section of the Adjustment Lever, as I only need to make a hinge between the Hub and the Swivel link.

I installed two 450 ball ends directly into the outside link holes of the FC Rotor Yoke. I did this by drilling out the outside link hole just large enough to use a 12mm long bolt and nut I had on hand.

Here’s a overview picture of the modified FC parts use to make FBL head.

Modified FBL FC head fully assembled and ready to be installed.

FBL FC head mounted to main shaft, head installation complete.

3Axis Unit used and servo placement

I went with the RX2437S 3axis gyro receiver from Walkera for this FBL conversion, It was cheap and really simple to setup.

I kept the receiver orientation the same way as it is in the Walkera CB180Z, but instead of being in the front like on the 180Z, I mounted it in the normal gyro location on the 450 frame as shown in picture below.

Elev servo is on the left side and the Aile servo is on the right side of frame, as shown in picture below.

As far has my settings on the receiver goes.
Alie pot set at 100%
Elev pot set at 100%
Rudder pot set at 85%
Elev-Alie Ext. pot set at 55%
Rudd Ext. pot set at 100%

I am very happy so far with this conversion and the flight characteristics of the FC FBL (Auxiliary rotorless…hehe…people that know about the fun copter will get it.) setup. It’s performing/handling much better than I anticipated…sweetness!

Normally I would show the best flying video I have of the build or mod…Well not this time. This time I want to show the crash I had last Wednesday with the FBL FP450. I could make excuses, but honestly I just didn’t see the tree branch. My pride and joy with only about five or six flight on it, came crashing down hard into my gravel driveway. Why would I show this video? Because the Funcopter head, in my book, is almost indestructable and now with the FBL conversion, there are even less parts to break. The only damage in the crash was two stripped HXT900 servos and three teeth missing on the main gear.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxXjmX-ix0k[/ame]

Thursday after work I replaced both servos, it took about twenty minutes to replace them and I was back in the air in no time. I left the main gear in as I know the next crash wont be to far away. When it happens I will more than likely change out the gear at that time. You can hear the main gear barking a little in the video I shot on Thursday. But other than a little noise, it doesn’t really affect the performance at all. All in All…this bird is a dream to fly and I hope my Fixed Pitch Brothers will enjoy the video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIZKivlQH3g[/ame]

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2534text (800x600).jpg
Views:	6802
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	248235   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2433 text(800x600).jpg
Views:	6266
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	248236   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2434 text(800x600).jpg
Views:	6120
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	248237   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2435text (800x600).jpg
Views:	6135
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	248238   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2436 text(800x600).jpg
Views:	6088
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	248239  

Name:	DSCN2438text (800x600).jpg
Views:	6142
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	248240   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2439text (800x600).jpg
Views:	6130
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	248241   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2441text(800x600).jpg
Views:	5966
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	248242   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2443text (800x600).jpg
Views:	6007
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	248243   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2445text (800x600).jpg
Views:	6127
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	248248  

Name:	DSCN2490text (800x600).jpg
Views:	6424
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	248249   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2471 text(800x600).jpg
Views:	6000
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	248250   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2511 test(800x600).jpg
Views:	7545
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	248251   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2468text (800x600).jpg
Views:	6123
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	248256  

Last edited by HELIHANKSTER; 08-27-2011 at 09:56 AM..
HELIHANKSTER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once again HH another killer build thread.I just have to replace a servo and I can maiden my dragonus with your FBL conversion today.
johnnycat500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Bud
I like the way the FBL handles so much, that I’m going to convert my other FP450 over. Just waiting on another RX2437S to come in the mail.

Looking forward to what you think of the FBL setup and how it compares to the regular FC head. You know I think the Dragonus is a sweet looking bird and I can’t wait to see how smokin it’s going to look FBL
Old 08-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Damn you.....lol. Now I gota spend more money, my wife is gona come after you.

But seriously this is a great thread and it looks like one bad ass bird. Helihankster mod god

Good job man
hydmech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

well I can confirm that you do have to orientate the rx like HH has done. I had mine turned 180 and that makes the 3 axis gyro push the elev and aile servo's in the opposite way they should.
johnnycat500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydmech View Post
Damn you.....lol. Now I gota spend more money, my wife is gona come after you.

But seriously this is a great thread and it looks like one bad ass bird. Helihankster mod god

Good job man
Hyd, good to see ya Bro!
As Johnny has said before…We do a good job helping each other spend money lol and your wife will have to wait in line…cause once my wife finds out that I just order a fuselage to put my other FP 450 in once I do the FBL conversion to it…she’s going to come after me and I can't run as fast as I use too.

Bro I don’t want to be a mod pusher, but this setup does kick a$$!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Johnny I don’t know if this helps and I haven’t try it, but I think you can mount the receiver upside down with the three pots facing the back of the Helicopter, but you would have to make some kind of bracket to mount the receiver that way on the 450 clone and keep it protected , so I never tried it.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey man thats AWESOME! Even though ill never do the conversion I really enjoyed reading the build and watching the videos. Excellent job creating the step by step tutorial !
Your a modding guru HH
Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow! awesome write up! Love it! it's soooo KISS!!!!
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
AtTheCross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet-Lama View Post
Hey man thats AWESOME! Even though ill never do the conversion I really enjoyed reading the build and watching the videos. Excellent job creating the step by step tutorial !
Your a modding guru HH
Thank you kind Sir

And never is a looong time…You never know VL…Maybe, just Maybe I will be able to talk you into doing a FBL FP450 one day down the road.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross View Post
Wow! awesome write up! Love it! it's soooo KISS!!!!
What's up ATC

You know I consider you the foremost expert on the Funcopter, so I was hoping you would like it.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent post. Awesome mod.
OnGuard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another excellent mod and build thread HH, very good job,
I have two 450 kits i bought for $9.99 from HK and leaderhobby.com, i may try a RX2433 fron 4#6S that i already have,
BTW leader hobby has again a $9,99 kit with fiber glass frame, the one i got was green aluminum like yours.
http://leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224782

Again good job HH and i wish luck to the rest with their wifes, but guys FBL is a very good solution either for CP or FP you will enjoy it as i also do in my 250FP and a HK250GT with RX2610V for now. 450 is for sure my next step.
alexaglob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 05:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycat500 View Post
well I can confirm that you do have to orientate the rx like HH has done. I had mine turned 180 and that makes the 3 axis gyro push the elev and aile servo's in the opposite way they should.
You can propably do it if you place the servos at the opposite side.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnGuard View Post
Excellent post. Awesome mod.
Thanks OnGuard

I hoping this thread in its new location will be a continuation of the FP450 thread, so whether it’s about the original FP450 or the FBL FP450 please post it up here.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexaglob View Post
Another excellent mod and build thread HH, very good job,
I have two 450 kits i bought for $9.99 from HK and leaderhobby.com, i may try a RX2433 fron 4#6S that i already have,
BTW leader hobby has again a $9,99 kit with fiber glass frame, the one i got was green aluminum like yours.
http://leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224782

Again good job HH and i wish luck to the rest with their wifes, but guys FBL is a very good solution either for CP or FP you will enjoy it as i also do in my 250FP and a HK250GT with RX2610V for now. 450 is for sure my next step.
Hey alexaglob how’s it going, I want to say thank you for giving me the 411 on the Walkera Tx and 3axis receivers.

Guys I got to give a huge shout-out to Alex. If it wasn’t for him, there wouldn’t be a HH FBL FP450 right now. His modded FBL FP250 using a Walkera 3axis receiver really got the ball rolling. He is definitely the go to guy when using Walkera Stuff.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELIHANKSTER View Post
Hey alexaglob how’s it going, I want to say thank you for giving me the 411 on the Walkera Tx and 3axis receivers.

Guys I got to give a huge shout-out to Alex. If it wasn’t for him, there wouldn’t be a HH FBL FP450 right now. His modded FBL FP250 using a Walkera 3axis receiver really got the ball rolling. He is definitely the go to guy when using Walkera Stuff.
Thanks my friend for the compliments, sharing info and experiences is another good habit this hobby teaches us.
I firstly got the interest on FP converts from your nice 250 FP mod. You touched my sensitive DIY mind with your detailed thread.
Besides flying, the DIY journey fascinates me and i suppose most of the guys here in this and the other FP modding threads.

Anyway it seems that the small yellow Walkera boxes do a good job on bigger heli bodies, maybe not superb as other 3G systems but hey they do the job we need and they are cheap (searching you can always find better prices).

I think you should have bought the 2801PRO i told you at that time, it seems you are going to have some Walkera minded birds.
Now that Walkera is pushing their new DEVO8/12 transmitters 2801PRO and compatible RXs will be on good sale prices.

Now i'm working on a HK250GT with modded stock head to FBL and 6CH 3axis RX2610V receiver. Next i will go for the FP450
Old 08-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELIHANKSTER View Post
What's up ATC

You know I consider you the foremost expert on the Funcopter, so I was hoping you would like it.
LOL, you smooth talker you
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
AtTheCross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey HH, Ya did it again. nicely done. I like the canopy the way it came out. Ok, so lets get a little technical, why did you chose the Walkera 3 axis gyro, was it cost or was it that the system based on your mod, needed it. Could you have gone with a different gyro? Whatever the case the bird flies like a bird. it's really sweet, man...
I better finish up the root cellar repairs otherwise i'm back behind the 8-ball, like the last build.

Ice
icecycler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 05:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexaglob View Post
Thanks my friend for the compliments, sharing info and experiences is another good habit this hobby teaches us.
I firstly got the interest on FP converts from your nice 250 FP mod. You touched my sensitive DIY mind with your detailed thread.
Besides flying, the DIY journey fascinates me and i suppose most of the guys here in this and the other FP modding threads.

Anyway it seems that the small yellow Walkera boxes do a good job on bigger heli bodies, maybe not superb as other 3G systems but hey they do the job we need and they are cheap (searching you can always find better prices).

I think you should have bought the 2801PRO i told you at that time, it seems you are going to have some Walkera minded birds.
Now that Walkera is pushing their new DEVO8/12 transmitters 2801PRO and compatible RXs will be on good sale prices.

Now i'm working on a HK250GT with modded stock head to FBL and 6CH 3axis RX2610V receiver. Next i will go for the FP450
Sharing information and ideas is the coolest part about this hobby. There very few places one can go where people are so willing to help and share their experiences.

I still can believe how well the little yellow box does. Really I had no idea if it was going to work or not, but my thinking has always been…You never know till you try it. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t. This is one of the times it worked out big time and I honestly have to say I love it. The original FP450 was a nice stable flier, but I did have a little issue with light ballooning in fast forward flight do to the positive pitch auxiliary rotor. Now with the FBL setup this little issue is nonexistent, so for me I have to say the little yellow box is the bomb.

You are correct my friend…I should of listen to you then, but I had no idea how well the Walkera 3axis was going to work and I didn’t want to blow money if it didn’t. Well now of course that I know it’s going to work, I am definitely kicking myself in the butt for not getting the 2801 Pro when I could have got a deal…Especially now since I have a few different Walkera receivers and one more on the way. I do see a 2801 coming to the house in the near future.

I’m with you and I am hoping more of the 2801 series receivers start getting discounted. If I heard right the Devo 8/12 transmitter are not compatible with the older receivers.

Sweet Bro, I have a RX2612V coming and I was thinking of doing something similar to my 250 using the 4F200 three blade head. You should do a build thread here on the Freak.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in