Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default OK, when is an accessory too much?

So I've been thinking about my DX8, which I originally got because I wanted telemetry.

Now I'm thinking get a used iPad/iPhone/iTouch and a Telemetry reciever, and then get the JR I would have purchased instead.

Thoughts ?

Last edited by mkovalcson; 07-18-2011 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: added iTouch and iPhone
mkovalcson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats not an ipad..
Old 07-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

well i dont know about how useful telemetry is i have never used it, i have an ice100 which logs the data. i do find it useful to a degree.

my thought is.....its too much when it has no use... and an after thought is how are you going to look at it while you fly ?
chris
chrismechanic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Honestly the only time I would look at it is to see if my head speed looks good or to see how the flight pack is doing.

I would set an alarm on the Flight pack and BEC voltage and just have it with me for that. That's basically how it works on my DX8
Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my mind I am thinking...it is a toy helicopter!!!! COME ONE PEOPLE JUST FLY THE DAMN THING!!!!! LOL
raptorz499 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
dct
Registered Users

Buy more batteries instead ...!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think that's sick I've got an iPad and iPhone and a dx7 what do I need to hook that up a telemetry receiver? Where? How much? I want one!
gmoetech911 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

You need a TM1000 whatever sensors you want and a TR1000

Start
http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon...telemetry.html
Old 07-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, so you are either going to crash your heli trying to look at your iPod, iPad, or iPhone to check your telemetry. Or you are going to drop whichever one you have trying to save your heli from crashing while taking a peak at this. In my opinion, its a waste. Unless you have someone who wants to be your navigator, and keep you informed of your telemetry readings.
9K4O
breathe rc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have yet to find any need for Telemetry on a elect heli. Because the voltage is constantly decreasing.
halfcab is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought the airspeed sensor even though I wasn't sure it would work on a heli. It works very well as far as I can tell. So I just bought the altitude sensor too... Is it useful? Not really, but it's pretty damn cool!
nycheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
So I've been thinking about my DX8, which I originally got because I wanted telemetry.

Now I'm thinking get a used iPad/iPhone/iTouch and a Telemetry reciever, and then get the JR I would have purchased instead.

Thoughts ?

The Spektrum telemetry is neat as it allows the DX8 and the new DX7 to follow in real time whatever metrics you have configured. Currently, these include battery pack voltage, RX voltage, RPM, altitude, air speed, temperature, signal strength, as well as Holds and Fades. However, looking at these values in real time would need you to take your eyes off the bird. Other than having an assistant looking at the transmitter values, the main practical use of real time telemetry is to have audible alarms and/or vibrations go off to alert you to land the bird soon. Other than that, a quick peak at the battery voltage can let you know if you can get another 30 seconds safely out of your pack. At the end of the flight, one can check the log for maximum and minimum values, but all data is lost once the transmitter is turned off.

The TR1000 and iOS4/iOS5 STi app combo, allows an assistant to look at these metrics on the iPhone (not sure about iPad), allowing one to concentrate on flying the bird. A big limitation of this app is that it currently does not allow you to record data for later viewing. Other than taking occasional screen shots for later viewing, you are limited to real time data only.

Unfortunately, the telemetry measurements tend to be off too. The RPM is only accurate in steady state conditions, and is very inaccurate whenever significant RPM changes take place. When first spooling up in soft start, it is not uncommon for the RPM to read higher than 3000 RPM when the throttle curves are set for around 2100 RPM. The temperature measurement is limited to the external surfaces, but one is really interested in internal temperatures. The battery voltage normally measures 0.2 volts less per pack (not per cell) when compared to voltage taken with a professional volt meter.

At this point, I would only consider getting the TR1000 if Spektrum revises the iOS app to allow for data recording for later viewing.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

these things need to be audio not visual - an ear piece just to let you know if certain preset values are exceeded - high temp... low battery... etc.

Last edited by Lunar Wolf; 11-14-2011 at 10:55 AM..
Lunar Wolf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Wolf View Post
these things need to be audio not visual - an ear piece just to let you know in certain preset values are exceeded - high temp... low battery... etc.
Indeed, who has the time to check your iThing for readings during a flight? I really love what they have done here, but I would not spend money on it as I dont really see the big pratical advantage. But it would be nice to have a reliable way to time your flight, say to set it so that when your at 80% drawn Ah of your pack, you get a warning instead of just using the time as sometimes flight can be very different debeing on if your working on a piro hover or perfecting tic-tocs.
felborn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2011, 06:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

anyone that needs a TM1100 or a TM1000? I'm selling it now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in