Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good point on air speed vs ground speed.
I'll give it another go.

Trex 450 Pro: Vbar 5, Hitec 65s, JR 3500G, Scorpion 2221-8, Kontronik Jazz 40
klamp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #62 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironizer View Post
However, I did have a problem myself with autos and strong winds. 2 weeks ago I was practising autos on my 450, and I did a few really nice ones with soft touchdown, but there were some which didn't go that well. At the last one I lost so much headspeed at 2 meters height that it fell down, and broke the landing gear. And the worst thing is I don't even know what I did wrong, what I did different from the ones that were successful. It was coming down nicely, but it was overshooting a bit, so I wanted to stop any forward movement, so I flared 2 meters high. In the simulator, I can get plenty of headspeed by flaring, and then set it down nicely. But it didn't happen in real life, it seemed that it even cost me headspeed instead of gaining, and I don't know why that is. I swear I'll only do autos in the future when someone is recording it with a camera, so it can be analysed later. Although now I'm somewhat reluctant to try them again. :/
What you probably inadvertantly did was give too much positive when you tried to stop your overshoot. Natural tendency would be to pull up and apply a little positive to slow down the forward momentum. Unfortunately that is an airbrake for the blades and you will lose headspeed VERY rapidly. Always remember you should still be negative a tad or at most zero during your flair or else you'll get the opposite effect you are looking for
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RĒzĒ View Post
What you probably inadvertantly did was give too much positive when you tried to stop your overshoot. Natural tendency would be to pull up and apply a little positive to slow down the forward momentum. Unfortunately that is an airbrake for the blades and you will lose headspeed VERY rapidly. Always remember you should still be negative a tad or at most zero during your flair or else you'll get the opposite effect you are looking for
Yes, that's what I figured too, that seemed the most logical answer, I just didn't believe it. I mean, when you stop the forward momentum of the heli in powered flight, you HAVE TO reduce collective or you will gain height. And this is my experience on the sim too during autorotation. When I flare, I have to further reduce the collective in order to not gain altitude, and in doing so I can gain headspeed. It's only logical, since energy doesn't disappear, only changes, you basicly convert your forward momentum into the spinning motion of the blades. And as far as I remember, the heli didn't gain height when I flared. On the other hand though, it didn't continue to descend either, so I assume you are right, and I didn't apply enough negative. Oh well, I will have to practice how to stop the forward momentum while still descending in an auto.

My last auto was recorded on Saturday, I put it in the sim and skill sticky topic. The landing wasn't pretty but I liked how the rpm was constant during the descent. It was the only auto that I did on the whole weekend and the first since that last mishap, and it was even a recorded flight, so I was pretty nervous, but I thought what the hell, let's give it a try.
Ironizer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 05:19 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gave it a go on the sim and it has totally changed the way i view autos landing with very little or zero pitch is unreal. will try them for real when i get more confident
waxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 05:12 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Is it easier to maintain headspeed with FBL over FB, or not? I'm specifically interested in the 450 class. FBL means less mass, so less momentum, but less drag too, so which one has more influence?
Ironizer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #66 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I recently converted my FB 450 Pro to FBL. Auto's are harder. There is less mass in the rotor head thus you can burn off head speed faster.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I recently converted my FB 450 Pro to FBL. Auto's are harder. There is less mass in the rotor head thus you can burn off head speed faster.

Bob
I have noticed this too. Also, if you're used to doing autos with a FB when you have to slam the sticks around to get the heli to respond at lower headspeeds, you can't do this with FBL. The FBL controller is going to input as much swach movement as necessary to get the response you input, mo matter what the headspeed. So you need to be more careful on the cyclic when going from FB to FBL autos.

David
HD Cell 500 w/ Ikon, Blade 130x, Citizen #258.
minnzoo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by senone View Post
please post a auto video
What Senone asks video please

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in