Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Next step after coax?

So, I've had my mCX2 for about a week now. It's a lot of fun and is teaching me what the sticks do and how to fly other than tail in but...............I was kinda hoping for a little more performance. I'm using the longer swashplate balls and fly in full response mode but still it's just a little slower than I expected. I bought it with a DX6i because I was expecting to move on to more advanced models. After looking around and reading here I've decided the Blade 120 SR is probably my next step. Originally I was thinking about a Blade mSR-X but after reading some more it seems the 120 SR may be the better choice, especically since I will be flying it outside whenever the wind is down. Any opinions on the wisdom of this decision? Is there a better choice? Thanks.
wscott52 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it's a good choice. I went from CX3 to mSR to 120SR. I wish I hadn't even bothered with the CX3.
Heli-cat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

120sr is a great choice . I bought a second one just to be sure I would never have to wait for parts to enjoy flying this wonderful bird . I fly every single day and have not gotten bored yet , and I get bored easy. I have read a lot of posts on this site and you will find that some guys who even have the big 700's and other birds still fly there 120sr. That there tells me have I made a good choice in first bird after coaxial . I too wish I never spent any money on coaxial
jaybird111 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli-cat View Post
I think it's a good choice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird111 View Post
120sr is a great choice .
Thanks guys. I'm not having much luck with the 120 SR in Phoenix 4.0 but I'm hoping if I have the actual bird in front of me I'll be a little quicker with corrections. Ordering two doesn't sound like a bad idea but I'm going to have to get one and learn to fly it before I think about getting a second one. If I break it I can always come inside and fly the mCX2 around the living room while I wait for parts.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

The 120SR is a great bird and I've had a lot of fun with it, but, if I had to do it all over again, after wearing out my MSR, I would have skipped it in favor of the msrx.

Am holding it for a while for someone who wants to buy it now, nice thing is it financed my MQX purchase a couple of days ago.

If you get one, I strongly recommend getting the Extreme motor for it, wakes it right up.
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have both the mSR and the 120.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably just get the mSR then move to CP. Diff'rent strokes.

edit: I should add, I haven't flown either with the dx6i yet. I heard it really livens the 120 up. I'm currently trying to sell the 120 or trade it for an mcpx, cause I caught the CP itch.

DX6i
Docfelt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

I am also new at this and I started with the mCX2. In just a week or so I ordered a 120SR, and with the "tame" settings from rchelicopterfun. com and his excellent msr-x-120 ebook, I am having a blast. I have the training gear, flying it in grassy areas at the farm. I can't hover well at all yet, or do much very well, but I can fly it without crashing,(yet). I have a brand new mCPx waiting for once I get cocky enough, which won't be for a little while
renefigueroa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by renefigueroa View Post
I am also new at this and I started with the mCX2. In just a week or so I ordered a 120SR, and with the "tame" settings from rchelicopterfun. com and his excellent msr-x-120 ebook, I am having a blast. I have the training gear, flying it in grassy areas at the farm. I can't hover well at all yet, or do much very well, but I can fly it without crashing,(yet). I have a brand new mCPx waiting for once I get cocky enough, which won't be for a little while
Go ahead and get cocky! you will find that as long as you can get to TH before the little bird impacts, it is pretty durable... and as long as you are flying on the farm where I presume thier is plenty of grass, you should have no issues... go for it!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Skip the 120sr and go with the mCPX. I have had horrible luck with the 120sr outside. Any wind at all and your off. You can tame down the mcpx a lot since you already have a dx6i. The mcpx is very crash resistant and flys extremely well in the wind. Super easy to fix, parts are cheap and when your ready for more the mods are endless. I wish i would have got an mcpx right from the begining.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens2489 View Post
Skip the 120sr and go with the mCPX. I have had horrible luck with the 120sr outside. Any wind at all and your off. You can tame down the mcpx a lot since you already have a dx6i. The mcpx is very crash resistant and flys extremely well in the wind. Super easy to fix, parts are cheap and when your ready for more the mods are endless. I wish i would have got an mcpx right from the begining.

I'll disagree.

I fly my 120 outside in decent wind all the time. It storms daily in Louisiana during the summer, and right before it rains there are some good gusts. Advanced Swash + Blade trims + xtreme motor, and the 120 slices through most wind.

But yes, the mcpx I've read is incomparably good in the wind. Collective pitch I'm sure is a large culprit. I plan on picking up an mcpx in two weeks.

DX6i
Old 06-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Docfelt, my 120sr is stock and do was my mcpx. So the wind did bother my 120. You should get an mcpx...... you will love it!!! If you fly your 120 in the wind you will be doing backflips when you fly the mcpx. I found it a lot easier to fly than the msrx. Its just a nice durable heli!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get the mcpx awsome fast little bird! I bought 2 of them i have the 120, and sr, and a 450 3d but i love that little mcpx !! don't ever buy a sr hard to fly and cost $25.00 each time you crash it unless you have deep pockets i have 2 sr's and i have put at least $400.00 bucks in repairs between the 2.
dcarboni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the input. Good, bad, or indifferent I just ordered a 120 SR from Horizon. After playing with the mCPX and 120 SR in Phoenix I don't think I'm ready for a collective pitch heli yet. I'll let you know how it goes after I get it in the air.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscott52 View Post
Thanks for all the input. Good, bad, or indifferent I just ordered a 120 SR from Horizon. After playing with the mCPX and 120 SR in Phoenix I don't think I'm ready for a collective pitch heli yet. I'll let you know how it goes after I get it in the air.
You made a good choice.

I was very close to buying an mcpx after flying a syma around. I got the 120 instead, and after my first day with the 120, my exact thoughts were "Man I'm glad I didn't get the mCP X".

DX6i
Old 06-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

when you get a mcpx you'll be glad you did i have a 120sr i like it to , but i got bored with it pretty quickly but its always nice to have more helios in your fleet
dcarboni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfelt View Post
You made a good choice.

I was very close to buying an mcpx after flying a syma around. I got the 120 instead, and after my first day with the 120, my exact thoughts were "Man I'm glad I didn't get the mCP X".
I went straight from an mCX to an mCPX. Two weeks later and I am also the proud owner of a 120SR now. The jump to the mCPX was a bit too much for me. I got cocky because the mCX was so easy. It is not too big a deal though because I would have eventually gotten the mCPX anyway and at least now I have my transmitter pre-programmed now.
Noobur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good choice I don't think I could ever have flown my mcpx without my 120 (and msr) first and now I still like them both even though my mcpx and 450 take most my time outdoors these two are still my indoor favorites and yes the 120 is tough in wind but when you're more used to it the challenge is quite fun!
Darwin. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flying the 120SR in wind requires some strategy.

Take off on an upwind leg until the transitional lift creates a stall and pitches the rotor disk up then spin the nose 180° and it is set up for a very aggressive downwind leg.

At the end of the fast downwind leg pitch up into a 180° stall turn, then while the rotor is pitched up at a near perpendicular angle flip the nose 180° and push cyclic forward. The pitch up of the rotor will set up an even faster second upwind leg. As you move up wind again the 45° flybar self-leveling action will counteract the forward lean and it will stall again, at which point you just repeat the process.

As your skill level progresses instead of just pitching the rotor up and stalling, then flipping nose 180° with the rudder, if you pitch up then apply hard right cyclic you'll put it into a banked aileron turn, adjusting the nose direction as needed with rudder to point it around the curve you carve in the sky. The faster you go on the downwind leg the tighter you can spin it around like a car on a banked race track, or running and grabbing a pole and letting it spin you around. The more forward momentum preserved in making the turn the better it will start the upwind leg.

The same strategy would be used with a collective pitch model, the difference would be the control inputs and the ability to hold the forward tilt of the rotor, avoiding the tendency of the flybar to find equilibrium.

The key factor is speed and momentum which creates the energy that allows it to whip around. That's why I have more fun flying my 120SR outdoors than I do my mSR inside: unlimited ceiling and lots more space to fly without hitting anything.
RoundWing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had thought about getting the mCPX but I just couldn't bring myself to go down to something as small as the mSR again...so now the 130x is about to hit the air and I will get that....I'm sure it won't be as durable as the mCPX due to it's increased mass but that's okay, I'm prepared to deal with it.
Heli-cat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli-cat View Post
I had thought about getting the mCPX but I just couldn't bring myself to go down to something as small as the mSR again...so now the 130x .
I'm thinking the 130x will be my next step. I'm also betting I won't be replacing the 120 SR as fast as the mCX2. 120 SR will be here Tuesday and wind is supposed to be under 5 mph so we'll see.

Again, thanks to everyone for replies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in