Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Couldn't find it after a crash

I got a little disoriented and crashed this weekend. I fly in a canyon that is walking distance from where I live, there's not a ton of other places to fly and at this spot I never get people letting there dogs off leashes, etc.

So when i crashed I saw where it went but it ended up gliding down a hill farther than I thought. I was looking for it for over an hour in bushes. I ended up finding it by hearing the servo noise when I got close.

Sorry for the long story here's my question - I know there are "Lost Model Alarms" that play a loud sound and I really want to get one. I tried the hobbyking one that plugs in between the receiver and a servo but it doesn't work because the AR7200BX is always sending signals to the servo and this one activates after 1 minute of inactivity (never happens with flybarless heli). I have a dx6i so I don't have an extra channel to install an alarm on. Are there any other solutions other than getting a 7 or 8 channel transmitter? If not i'll probably end up getting one, I was freaked out thinking I may have lost a $450 heli.

Thanks! Any ideas are welcome.
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, I know they sell constant-alarms for fairly cheap. Set a time (say 5 minutes) a bit longer than your usual max flight time. Tricky part is finding one that won't stop after half a minute, otherwise a normal digital kitchen timer ziptied/taped/glued to it would work, if you could find one that's loud enough.

Otherwise, yeah.. some people set a lost-model-alarm on the seventh channel as a just-in case.. not so applicable for those of us running a DX6i.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks bro. Your probably right, this problem may just be finding the best timer for the job or an electronics project of making something that Starts a timer on power up and sounds an alarm after 5 mins or so. I'm more of a beginner into electric engineering that I am flying helis but I'm looking up some examples... Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If it was me, I'd get a flattish cheapo kitchen egg timer from your local supermarket for $10, rip off the clip or magnet on the back and put some velcro on, or ziptie it to the heli after setting it for six or ten minutes. When you're plugging in the battery, just hit start.

Though IIRC, don't the extra servo headers on the RX unit still provide power? Probably could find someone to kitbash a 'after 7 minutes, start sending a signal with this piezo speaker' out of a simple 555 timer circuit that'd plug right in and just use RX power, pretending to be a servo or whatnot if the RX needs a bitstream. Trying to remember if I know anyone down your way who could do it up, as I used to live in Garden Grove working for a tech company.

Actually, looks like HobbyKing has something:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ne_Finder.html
No idea if it'd work with the BX unit though since it keeps twitching the servos even with no TX signal. Possibly on one of the aux channels? Potentially worth a shot.
Also one with a fixed-time alarm, though I'm not sure as to the power it needs.. I'd probably go with it first though:
http://electrotekrc.com/store/index....&products_id=6

Also a ton up on eBay for 'lost model finder' for pretty cheap. Really just googled 'lost rc plane locator' and got a bunch of seemingly-relevant hits.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Would a lost model alarm work on the throttle channel?
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Finder-.../dp/B005FNPWO6

this will work very well.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you know how that one detects the transmitter isn't on anymore? Does it have it's own internal receiver or something, the description didn't say anything about that and I just wanted to see if you knew anything else about it before I buy it since its $30. I'd hate to have it not work
Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeliDude View Post
Do you know how that one detects the transmitter isn't on anymore? Does it have it's own internal receiver or something, the description didn't say anything about that and I just wanted to see if you knew anything else about it before I buy it since its $30. I'd hate to have it not work
Its works!!

All you have to do to activate it is TURN OFF YOUR RECIEVER. hehe
Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I turn off my transmitter the AR7200BX stays on though. I don't know if there is any difference in the outputs that it could detect is there?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

You make some good points, call these guys in the morning. One is only 15 bucks

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...mg7mn38rcvgae3

They have a 800 number
Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks - on that page it says:
---
While the Finder Alarm is compatible with the vast majority of Spektrum receivers, it will not work with the Spektrum AR6000, AR7000, AR9000 or other receivers that feature the SmartSafe failsafe function.
---

I found in the AR7200BX manual that it has SmartSafe failsafe.
Thanks for the ideas though, sounds like I might have to find a count down timer or get a dx8
Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry about that was not thinking. Glad you where on top of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can't remember which, but don't some ESCs have a built in lost model. If the throttle signal is lost or held the ESC beeps the motor. Lost model and ESC upgrade in one.
jimmanyk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in