Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Castle 100 help please?

Hey fellow freaks. Can someone please help me? I'm confused about the bec and when you need one. I have a trex 550 stretched with a 600 tail boom. I would like to spin 553's and this spring I will me flying mild 3d with her. I want to run a 6s set up. I have a 600 mx motor installed and I'm looking for an esc. I think the one I need is the castle Phoenix 100. And if so it says it has a built in bec so why would I need an external one? Also I see you can buy a field programming card for it. Does that mean I don't need to hook it up to a lap top if I have that card? Sorry for the armature questions but this is my first large Heli build and I want to get it right. Thanks guys. Also
I anyone has a better suggestion as to maybe a different esc let me know.

NANO CPX,HK250SR,450X,
TREX 500e,DX8 W/TELEM

NANO CPX,HK250SR,450X,
TREX 500e,DX8 W/TELEM
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think everyone will agree that the Ice 100's bec is not up to the task in a 550. What will work is the Talon 90, it has a 9a built in bec. It's what's included in the 550 kits now. The only thing it does not have is the data logging. Or you could get a standalone bec instead, like the cc bec pro.

Yes there is a field link card but it is still limited on what it can program. I think you can do more than with the tx (like gov gain, but you can only use the 3 presets, which are not that useful in my experience), but in general you would still need to use the computer for fine tuning or if you want to use set rpm governing mode. On the plus side, it also functions as a castle link to connect it to the computer.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

So if I buy the talon 90 I can use the internal bec with confidence?

NANO CPX,HK250SR,TREX 500e,TREX 550 FL STRETCHED DX8 W/TELEM
Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur3 View Post
So if I buy the talon 90 I can use the internal bec with confidence?

LOL – not on anything larger than a 500.

You have the best ESC for that helicopter just get a good external BEC.

RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

come on, really, 9 amps is enough to run any heli. i only run 7.5 on my 90 and never had any issues.i only run 10 amps on my 40% planks.
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
LOL – not on anything larger than a 500.

You have the best ESC for that helicopter just get a good external BEC.

The trex 550dfc comes with the talon 90 I'm told and no bec. So this where I'm confused. A lot if people like yourself say the talons bec isn't good enough but castle and align say it is. IDK maybe they want me to crash. Lol I think I'm gonna go with the talon 90 esc and the castle pro bec just to be safe.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360159628.648635.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	391547

Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only problem with the Talon 90 is the bec power handling is misstated.
It only has one power lead. 9amps in short burst possibly, but no continuously.
Im running a separate bec on mine.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

It would be pretty easy to solder another wire w/ connector on the talon, vs spending 35 dollars on a bec pro.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

1) ICE 100 BEC. According to the CC Phoenix ESC's manual, whenever you are flying helicopters with blades larger than 425mm, the ESC's internal BEC should be disabled.

2) The Talon ESC is rated for 90A. It is not uncommon for the T550 to peak over 140A. The ICE100 seems to handle those high peaks well. There is concern about the adequacy of the smaller current capacity 90A Talon when used with the T550.

3) Adequacy of Talon BEC. There has not been an excessive amount of reports concerning brownouts when using the Talon internal BEC. Still, there are some concerns that people cite.
a) Servos in FBL helicopters consume more current than FB counterparts. BEC's that are adequate for FB helicopters, may show limitations if the same helicopter is converted to FBL.
b) The Talon has a single BEC output servo wire. Servo connectors are rated at around 5A. Even if the Talon BEC is rated for 9A/20A, the single servo connector may be the current limiting component.

4) The CC Field Link Portable Programmer has too many limitations when used with helicopters to make it worthy of keeping around. To me, the only useful feature is that it also works as a Castle Link USB adapter. Anyone interested in a single-time used Field Programmer currently collecting dust?

If you are planning on running the Talon with the BEC Pro, I would consider using the ICE100/BEC Pro combo instead. The ICE100 is only $20 more than the Talon, but is has a proven record with the T550 and has a logging function,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Castle ESC BEC.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	391551  
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
It would be pretty easy to solder another wire w/ connector on the talon, vs spending 35 dollars on a bec pro.
RC Groups has a thread discussing this issue. This particular post from Castle discourages adding a second servo wire.
Amain Team Pilot
Old 02-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnahamelv View Post
RC Groups has a thread discussing this issue. This particular post from Castle discourages adding a second servo wire.
Good thread. I guess it's true that we haven't heard any complaints about brownouts on 550s with the talon. I still think if I were to use one, I would solder on a second bec wire.

And of course they are never going to condone taking their product apart, soldering on the board, and modifying the case a bit to make room for the extra wire. It probably voids the warranty as well.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

One of my most concerning reservations about the Talon is regarding the incorporation of the three female 4mm motor connectors within the case. There are reports circulating about quality consistency of the solder joints and how some of these connectors have broken loose with the accompanying negative consequences. Also, if you purchase a motor that does not use 4mm bullet connectors, you may either have to replace the motor connectors or add three wire extensions with appropriate connectors between the motor and ESC.

I still believe that for the T550 or similar size helicopter, the time-tested and effective ICE100/BEC Pro combo is a more reassuring option that using the Talon. The Talon seems to be marketed as a more economical alternative to the ICE100/BEC Pro combo and cleaner overall look; The ICE100/BEC Pro combo is generally accepted to be a more robust system than the Talon.
Amain Team Pilot
Old 02-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the same heli stretched to 600 and run 550 blades with the CC ice 100 and instead of any BEC I use a 2S lipo no issues ever!!!
Banshee # 45 700 LE and 850
jcflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

i,m still running my 550fbl on the align esc that came with it. i think thats a 3 amp bec built in. starting the 3rd year and all is well, i,m sure lots of others are as well.i,m also running a spektrum reciever. why do you guys think you need so much more???
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well thanks guys for your input. I talked to a tech at Heli direct and he said he was about to order two more for his other helis. Him and the guys at work have extensively bench tested the talon for above mentioned problems and they said it passed with flying colors. They all use the talon on their trex 550's with no issues. And they use the internal bec. It works great. Also they said they took the data logging out if the talon so they could fit the larger bec which they claim is the same as the castle pro (20amp). So that said I bought the talon, the castle link, and the castle adapter for easy hook up Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360173505.052326.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	391589

Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Whats the easiest way to hook up the BEC PRO to the ICE 100 ESC? I already have my EC5's soldered onto the wire, and dont wanna take them apart (Pain in the butt to get the wire and bullet connector snapped into the plastic connector). Should I just splice and solder the BEC PRO into the original 10ga wire on the ESC and heatshrink it all??

djensen623 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by djensen623 View Post
Whats the easiest way to hook up the BEC PRO to the ICE 100 ESC? I already have my EC5's soldered onto the wire, and dont wanna take them apart (Pain in the butt to get the wire and bullet connector snapped into the plastic connector). Should I just splice and solder the BEC PRO into the original 10ga wire on the ESC and heatshrink it all??
That splicing should work. However, you may still need to "punch out" the EC5 connectors off the blue case to apply the heat shrink. Also depending on whether you want the BEC Pro wires oriented towards or away from the ESC, you may want to insert the heat shrink into the ESC wire even before soldering. You can also consider using electrical tape instead of heat shrink, but I do not know how safe electrical tape is.

Also consider leaving a "bridging" connection between the ESC wires and BEC wires, so you can disconnect the BEC from the ESC easily, and just connect a smaller battery to the BEC at the bench.
Amain Team Pilot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in